ODL - Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Oh..Oh, your all soooo dead!!! btw- how do like my 'iceman' @ sf pick. Wait til you see who's my sg. 
11/29/2013 5:40 PM
I'm starting to think that natenoy may pick smokey57's team first to be in his division..........
11/29/2013 5:58 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 11/29/2013 5:58:00 PM (view original):
I'm starting to think that natenoy may pick smokey57's team first to be in his division..........
No disrespect to smokey but with Big Ben down low to shutdown the MailMan smokey will be given serious consideration for the #1 overall, I'm also likely to get a SF that is 80D or higher and smokey is on a track to expose himself to a -2 setting. I've had great luck when I draft elite rebounding squads and run -2 against anyone without at least 15 3pa/per game, having a hard time seeing how smokey will get enough triple attempts at this point, so yea he's offically on the short list.
11/29/2013 6:53 PM
Under the bill bridges downtown
Is where I drew some blood
Under the bill bridges "
I could not get enough
Under the bill bridges "
Forgot about my love
Under the bill bridges "
I gave my life away (yeah yeah yeah)
Ooh no (no no yeah yeah)
Here I stay yeah yeah
11/29/2013 7:03 PM
Felonius made an important point a long time ago....and the logic goes like this (very paraphrased)

You don't always have logic on your side as to what the sim likes, but it likes what it likes.

One of the things that is somewhat well documented is that the sim loves centers being played at PF, but it is not particularly fond of PF's playing center.  Utilizing this logic playing Mailman and Bridges together and not using Bridges as a 3 and Malone as a 4 is flawed.  Malone gets to feast on many if not all PF's, but having him play against and be guarded directly by the likes of Cap, Wilt, Gilmore, Shaq, Robinson, and Mutombo (all that would likely not guard him while playing PF) wastes the early pick of Malone.  If that was your intention you should have passed him up since your advantage is all but lost.
11/29/2013 7:12 PM

smokedog, sorry about the peanut gallery jumpin' in on our good ribbin' each other. don wancha believin' i was leadin' the charge or anything. there's lunatics in this league.

anyway... this thing ya got goin on now... bridges and gervin. alchemy 101. surely, the wis data base will ponder its algorhythms to try and dilute this new chemistry. seble runs the engine. program takes longer than normal... in the end the computer spits out a chit, it reads: still searching

11/30/2013 1:38 AM (edited)
of course, 98avg loves bridges, too!
11/30/2013 1:36 AM
I see it this way..the def follows the use%, regardless of position. Your high def center will be on karl in either position. The guy's in the DDL are up against the same type of offense. If you hold karl down gervin will gladly go 35-40pts on you and visa versa. Then the BC is a moderate usage pairing, on the chance you can hold malone & gervin down the BC will kill you. Scud has the #2 def in the ddl and is one of two teams that can hold off both my shooters at the same time, he may go 4-4 against me, he's currently 2-4. I may be using the term 'spacing' wrong..I'm refering to my usage distribution when I say 'spacing'. I shutter at the thought of these guy's on the same team too, but it just may work out. This is 'Twelve Monkey's' on PED's. Lastly - Don't listen scud, he just doesn't want to share a division with this damn team......again. lol
11/30/2013 3:46 AM
your high Def C might be as much as 10% less effective guarding a PF
11/30/2013 8:55 AM
careful felon, that statement sounds a little too factual
11/30/2013 9:32 AM
Posted by felonius on 11/30/2013 8:55:00 AM (view original):
your high Def C might be as much as 10% less effective guarding a PF
Sometimes you actually WANT this. Take theyard's team for example. There is little doubt that I would allow Shaq to guard the PF position when I played Wilt, or another C only that is significant on offense, even if it pushes McHale down to him (not sure which Parish is in play). I'd do this for two reasons: the obvious one is that you would want the best D you can get if the other guy's center is a stud, but MORE importantly you want to keep Shaq away from C's with a high pf draw rate. Nothing worse than getting 24 min or so from the Daddy because he could not resist hacking the opposing C.
11/30/2013 10:18 AM
Posted by smokey57 on 11/30/2013 3:46:00 AM (view original):
I see it this way..the def follows the use%, regardless of position. Your high def center will be on karl in either position. The guy's in the DDL are up against the same type of offense. If you hold karl down gervin will gladly go 35-40pts on you and visa versa. Then the BC is a moderate usage pairing, on the chance you can hold malone & gervin down the BC will kill you. Scud has the #2 def in the ddl and is one of two teams that can hold off both my shooters at the same time, he may go 4-4 against me, he's currently 2-4. I may be using the term 'spacing' wrong..I'm refering to my usage distribution when I say 'spacing'. I shutter at the thought of these guy's on the same team too, but it just may work out. This is 'Twelve Monkey's' on PED's. Lastly - Don't listen scud, he just doesn't want to share a division with this damn team......again. lol
What do you base this on??????????

High D centers are not automatically guarding Malone if they are only 90% at PF.  If Mailman is playing the 4 he is rarely going to be guarded by Mutombo, Wilt, Cap, Robinson, and others I mentioned prior.  Now all of those high D guys that were 90% at PF get to guard Malone as do all of the high D guys that are 98% and greater at both the 4 and 5 (Russell, Dream, Duncan, Wallace, and others).  The sim is all about maximizing matchups and overmaximizing your advantages.  That is why no one plays LeBron at SF, and the 91-92 Rodman is always a SF although he likely played 10% or less of his time at that position in real life.  It used to be you need at least 10.5% usage and we all know that number to be WAY higher now.  Felonius has always said that the proper number of rebounds to shoot for is MORE, and it is now likely even higher than that. (That was a joke...see)

AND

Why do you think Gervin is going to go off for 35-40 points if Malone is having a bad game?  The sim algorithm doesn't say "Hey, Mailman is cold tonight lets give the ball to Iceman."

Oh and you LOVE to talk about floor spacing, but Iceman and Mailman both play a game that is 50% or greater from midrange, and both players then opt to go to the paint after that.  Where is your floor spacing?  Bill Bridges?  He just flip flops the midrange and paint thing where he is about 55-60% paint and 35% midrange.  
11/30/2013 12:03 PM
My thoughts on this team are based on what I see from my other malone team built on a similar design, with similar players. I read the pbp, and I'm pretty sure I see a player in the post...wrt malone. Today neither of my court cannons were held down, so they went 36/32 pts..that's not a 1 of game either.  IMO the dynamics of your team design strongly effects a players characteristics. I'm already on record for saying defense redirects usage..so if you park heavy D on malone, more fga are directed to gervin. If your defender is sub-90D, they can't hold malone down anyway. It should be interesting to see the design play in the ODL and see if it will hold up. I have the 3 players that I wanted from the start in place, so I guess we're going to find out. lol
11/30/2013 3:15 PM
Karl Malone & George Gervin are to of the best players on the sim wrt drawing PF's (690/605 RL), and they shoot 75% & 85% from the stripe. GL with that -2 def....
11/30/2013 5:22 PM
remember IMO is a nice way to say...I'm guessing. And hoping ol' sparky throws ol' smokedog a bone...
11/30/2013 5:36 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...13 Next ▸
ODL - Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.