Hurting Your Franchise, to Win Championships Topic

The complaint I often come back to is that the draft is too predictable.  There are no washouts, in the sense that if you have any scouting you have a great idea of what a player will turn out to be.  Drafting needs to be more problematic.  Sometimes the 2nd overall pick bombs out.  I do agree on the injury point made earlier.  There should be more (just not for my guys!)  No team in real life spends 20 times less on Medical than another team.  No team spends 20X more on scouting.

I use Advanced and do pretty well, than you.  But I know that it is out of vogue.  
11/29/2013 11:13 PM
Right, fuzziness, good idea.

Let's make the draft and IFAs more of a crapshoot, because THAT will stop people from loading into one part of the budget 
11/29/2013 11:30 PM
"Guess I'll go 20 med, 20 training and 145 salary like the rest of the league, and hope I win the draft lottery."
11/29/2013 11:35 PM
Yep.  Once I know my prospect scouting is almost useless, I budget 0 and let you develop players that I'll sign as type A FA later.
11/30/2013 7:20 AM
I'd be more worried about teams who don't try to get better, get top draft choices and win a title because of it. 
11/30/2013 9:01 AM
All so true ... and yet here we are ... still playing.
12/1/2013 12:54 AM
Posted by deathinahole on 11/29/2013 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Here's the problem as I see it, and the problem is you can't please all the people all of the time.

Medical. The problem is that there is no real fear of injuries, because injuries happen in this game about 5 times less than in the real MLB. Even if you drop it to 0, you are no where near what really happens to baseball players.
So, you make it mean something, and you jack up the injuries 5 fold. Want to guess what happens? Many, including the creator of this thread, would have a stroke, and demand things get "fixed"

HS/Coll/International. Too predictive, or using your budget to get that certainty? Because if those became a fuzzy lottery, there would be screaming too.

Advanced. That might be the one to eliminate, but then you would also need some sort of tutorial leagues for newbs. Advanced is, basically, a newb learning tool.
Actually, I think there should be more injuries. There should just be more incidents of players bouncing back in their ratings, in the multiple cases that WIS gives them ratings hits. Of these, injury recovery is not the worst and wouldn't need adjusting much, just in some percentage of cases, where more players should bounce back fully, IMHO.

12/5/2013 9:14 PM
Posted by moethedog on 11/29/2013 11:13:00 PM (view original):
The complaint I often come back to is that the draft is too predictable.  There are no washouts, in the sense that if you have any scouting you have a great idea of what a player will turn out to be.  Drafting needs to be more problematic.  Sometimes the 2nd overall pick bombs out.  I do agree on the injury point made earlier.  There should be more (just not for my guys!)  No team in real life spends 20 times less on Medical than another team.  No team spends 20X more on scouting.

I use Advanced and do pretty well, than you.  But I know that it is out of vogue.  
Yes, player development could very a great deal more, with some developing better and others not so much.

And as for the draft, we should really stop calling it a draft and think of another name. We don't get to draft. We should be allowed a slow "live" draft, over days, for at least the top five or six rounds (and with the ranking system adjustable and used as a fall-back during that draft, in case we don't pick on our allotted time). That would be a real "draft." As for now, what we have to do is move away the players we don't want picked. We are not able to pick the one we want, from those available, on an ongoing basis.

12/5/2013 9:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/30/2013 7:20:00 AM (view original):
Yep.  Once I know my prospect scouting is almost useless, I budget 0 and let you develop players that I'll sign as type A FA later.
That's probably the worst of the problems.
12/5/2013 9:19 PM
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 12/5/2013 9:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by deathinahole on 11/29/2013 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Here's the problem as I see it, and the problem is you can't please all the people all of the time.

Medical. The problem is that there is no real fear of injuries, because injuries happen in this game about 5 times less than in the real MLB. Even if you drop it to 0, you are no where near what really happens to baseball players.
So, you make it mean something, and you jack up the injuries 5 fold. Want to guess what happens? Many, including the creator of this thread, would have a stroke, and demand things get "fixed"

HS/Coll/International. Too predictive, or using your budget to get that certainty? Because if those became a fuzzy lottery, there would be screaming too.

Advanced. That might be the one to eliminate, but then you would also need some sort of tutorial leagues for newbs. Advanced is, basically, a newb learning tool.
Actually, I think there should be more injuries. There should just be more incidents of players bouncing back in their ratings, in the multiple cases that WIS gives them ratings hits. Of these, injury recovery is not the worst and wouldn't need adjusting much, just in some percentage of cases, where more players should bounce back fully, IMHO.

Who are you, and what have you done with Arlen?
12/6/2013 9:31 AM
The only thing I'll concede with "bouncing back" is in the scenario of Tommy John. Every other injury that happens, you are never back to "100%". Never.
12/6/2013 9:33 AM
The misconception I think arlen has is that players just don't come back.    If you budget for medical, they always bounce back to 100% from minor injuries.  And, again with high enough medical, they will bounce back from major injuries if you allow them TWO recovery cycles.    I assume arlen takes his players off DL as soon as they're available.   If you think about it as "recovery from injury" for first recovery cycle and "rehabilition and return to form" for the second recovery cycle, you'd leave them on the DL.    If you twist your ankle, you can run again 7-10 days later.   With a slight limp.    Wait a month and you're back to normal.

The one exception is a late season injury.   If you get a major injury at game 120, you're a bit screwed.   You'll only get one recovery cycle.   And it won't be a full recovery.
12/6/2013 9:59 AM
◂ Prev 12
Hurting Your Franchise, to Win Championships Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.