im going to have to be out 
12/6/2013 3:14 PM
in

we gotta do something about wilt though...hes too good
12/6/2013 5:37 PM
Posted by dh555 on 12/6/2013 5:37:00 PM (view original):
in

we gotta do something about wilt though...hes too good
Probably don't have time to do another league, but I will offer my 2 cents and agree w/ dh about Wilt. While there are other very good players from this era, no one is even close to Wilt's level. Either ban him or allow everyone to use him, otherwise it  basically turns into "Wilt= Ring"
12/6/2013 6:22 PM
cmac brought this up also, so let's address it. IMO this is not a big deal, in the ATBA which started out it's 1st season 1951-1967, Wilt has never won it all. I will say he went to the finals a ton of times though. The ATBA was a ABAB draft seqence, this is a ABBA sequence this should balance things out. There are other centers that are quite good also..Bellamy, McAdoo & A-Train. Personally I would not handicap Wilt, I think the draft sequence will balance things, but if the consensus is to handicap Wilt we will. I think in that case we should ban him.
12/7/2013 1:51 PM (edited)
Posted by smokey57 on 12/7/2013 1:51:00 PM (view original):
cmac brought this up also, so let's address it. IMO this is not a big deal, in the ATBA which started out it's 1st season 1951-1967, Wilt has never won it all. I will say he went to the finals a ton of times though. The ATBA was a ABAB draft seqence, this is a ABBA sequence this should balance things out. There are other centers that are quite good also..Bellamy, McAdoo & A-Train. Personally I would not handicap Wilt, I think the draft sequence will balance things, but if the consensus is to handicap Wilt we will. I think in that case we should ban him.
Yeah Wilt is an unfair advantage its the SIM and the talent pools drops pretty dramatically after Wilt and another drop off after 4 or 5.  I think the draft sequence will take care of 2-5.  But for Wilt I don't think it will.

12/7/2013 2:12 PM
id rather see team wilt lose a 3rd rounder or something like that then be banned completely...but im good either way...as long as something gets done
12/7/2013 2:27 PM
maybe...a 3rd and a 6th..then have team wilt pick 4 players in the last round
12/7/2013 2:28 PM
I don't think handicapping the Wilt teams pick will really help much more than the ABBA sequence already does. That monster statline will still be in the league. I think we should either 'allow' or 'not allow' Wilt. Personally "I think Wilt should play". This is my position as a single member only. In the end I'll need to hear from a majority of the members to gather a consensus. When the league fills I'll sm all the members. Until then we should discuss the matter..1) should Wilt play, and 2) should the team with Wilt be handicapped in the draft. I think it will be easier if we approach the matter as two separate questions.
12/7/2013 4:10 PM
Maybe just ban the 66-67 version of Wilt? Helps a little not to have that particular version decimating the league

I will be in for this league as well.
12/7/2013 4:21 PM
This may be a reasonable solution - no Wilt over $11.8m. I think this leaves 4 good seasons that won't unbalance the league so badly. In fairness it should be - No player over $11.8m  This combined with the ABBA draft should adjust things pretty well. This keeps the player pool intact, while solving the same problem that RL pro-ball had...they changed the rules becuz of this guy too. lol
12/9/2013 3:19 AM (edited)
I think this leave the '64', '67', '68' and his '59' years available.
12/9/2013 3:38 AM (edited)
Wilt is the GREATEST basketball player of all time - easy - hence the discussion. It IS NOT Michael Jordon and the financial backing of the Nike advertising machine. Does anyone remember the whistles associated with this guy? Wilt got killed by the whistle - and was too much of a knuckle head to capitalize on improved free throw shooting. 'Nobody roots for Goliath' ... Jordan was great, no doubt. But no, it is not a coincidence that the NBA suits were savvy marketing genius, the NBA capitalized on the Bird - Magic era momentum and that Jordon sold a ton of product effectively - Cool to see MJ play and the combination of his talent and competitive zeal was amazing - but watching him was also like watching KAYFABE associated with professional wrestling .... Jordon may (MAY) have been the SECOND greatest player, and THAT is where the debate starts. A great, underrated overlooked commodity for second is Jabbar - A better comparison would group Jordan, Jabbar, Lebron, and then maybe rattle off the usual suspects.... The moniker of 'THE GREATEST- is a tad too much of a popularity contest than an objective analysis of domination. It is Wilt, then a scramble for second.
12/9/2013 2:16 PM
Posted by cmcafeeky on 12/9/2013 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Wilt is the GREATEST basketball player of all time - easy - hence the discussion. It IS NOT Michael Jordon and the financial backing of the Nike advertising machine. Does anyone remember the whistles associated with this guy? Wilt got killed by the whistle - and was too much of a knuckle head to capitalize on improved free throw shooting. 'Nobody roots for Goliath' ... Jordan was great, no doubt. But no, it is not a coincidence that the NBA suits were savvy marketing genius, the NBA capitalized on the Bird - Magic era momentum and that Jordon sold a ton of product effectively - Cool to see MJ play and the combination of his talent and competitive zeal was amazing - but watching him was also like watching KAYFABE associated with professional wrestling .... Jordon may (MAY) have been the SECOND greatest player, and THAT is where the debate starts. A great, underrated overlooked commodity for second is Jabbar - A better comparison would group Jordan, Jabbar, Lebron, and then maybe rattle off the usual suspects.... The moniker of 'THE GREATEST- is a tad too much of a popularity contest than an objective analysis of domination. It is Wilt, then a scramble for second.
crazy talk....if you think for a second jordan would have allowed the celtics to win 11 chips while he was playing youre out of your mind....wilt didnt have the winning drive that jordan had....most talented player? ok....but best?...no friggin way
12/9/2013 2:21 PM
I would hate to have to see one player penalized - thus hindering the real 'lay of the land' in that era.

It would be a more realistic simulation of that era to leave it as is and include him....

BUT

I would also hate to see 23 owners penalized because of the domination of one player.

Bottom line: I'm in favor of eliminating him, or some type of handicap associated with drafting him.

12/9/2013 2:24 PM
dh - would you also like to address my metaphor of professional wrestling / KAYFABE-esq
treatment associated with the league treatment of Jordan that no other athlete in any other sport has benefitted from in such abundance?
12/9/2013 2:27 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...44 Next ▸
DDL #4 on-the-clock draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.