DDL #4 on-the-clock draft Topic

Posted by cmcafeeky on 12/9/2013 2:27:00 PM (view original):
dh - would you also like to address my metaphor of professional wrestling / KAYFABE-esq
treatment associated with the league treatment of Jordan that no other athlete in any other sport has benefitted from in such abundance?
no i would not....haha

12/9/2013 2:42 PM
OR - you could also state that it is CRAZY talk to think for one second that RED and his well oiled machine in Boston would allow Jordan to come anywhere near sniffing 6 rings. And that is a great point - the great assembly of a dynasty in Boston - with role players that fit perfectly - was an obstacle that Jordan did not have to face - aside from a Pistons team that he outlasted due to him being younger and able to weather their run.

PLUS, during the Boston reign, the NBA was less concerned with promoting and pushing the image of a Jordan. Sports was sports in the 60's and was more about competing more so than how much money the league made. It was not about the leagues bottom dollar as much as running things being run fairly. TV and its power in the sport did not figure into how games were called and which media markets were important in order for ratings to meet forecasts.

Hell, basketball fans STILL hear how a finals with New York, LA or Chicago benefits ratings MUCH more and the league is helped there much more so than if the finals contain a small market team like Utah or San Antonio or Ind.

Do you remember the Sacramento Kings (Webber) vs. ratings darling LA (Shaq-Kobe) game 6 fiasco? Still a black eye for the league and proof that there is sometimes more than luck associated with an NBA whistle - hence my pro wrestling KAYFABE metaphors.

OR the Ewing to Knicks lottery fiasco - good job Stern

Jordan benefitted much more than Wilt (in his pre-LA career) of being with an organization that better assembled complimentary parts.

Yes Jordan had a much better drive - and more skills - but he is not he greatest.

Did we have this type of WIS DDL League discussion during the Jordan years?
12/9/2013 2:48 PM
didnt have to have that discussion....there were more than 8 DAMN TEAMS in the league

and come one now...you dont think jordan would have posted some insane numbers during that 61-62 season?...he woulda averaged 60

wilts ridiculous stats(that were due to the pace of the game) may make him the best simbball player but it doesnt make him the best rl player

12/9/2013 3:02 PM
and im not even gonna start with any of that conspiracy talk....for all you know the nba could have been doing shady things in the 60s too...lot easier to keep things quiet back then
12/9/2013 3:05 PM
good stuff dh, nothing personal - an enjoyable debate

conversely - Jordan avg. what he did if down to only 8 teams?
If Wilt had played against 30 teams and had the talent spread out like MJ era, THAT far - wow...
12/9/2013 3:45 PM
wilt vs greg ostertag hahaha

yea...its sooo tough to compare players in different eras...such a different game from decade to decade

12/9/2013 4:10 PM
Red was the greatest coach EVAH...he understood that in the end it's a team sport. No one player, not even Wilt Chamberlain, could over come that simple fact. We didn't care that the Gardens was a $hithole, all we saw were the bright banners hanging from the ceiling. Bulls..my a$$ !!!
12/9/2013 8:57 PM (edited)
I like Doc Rivers too, watch out for the Clippers they may have a future 'greatest coach evah'. Of course he was schooled in beantown the birthplace of basketball.
12/9/2013 8:09 PM
IN... will come up with a name in a little while
12/10/2013 1:05 PM
Wilt vs MJ would've made for a great one on one ratings bonanza. Basketball is a nuance game. Who really knows
exactly how a team will work as a unit. Krausse, Jackson & co. did a great job putting Michael & the Bulls together. It's not their
fault people watched the NBA on TBS and started the printing $. Auerbach was demonic the precurser
to Rosemary's baby. He had his own rule for godsake.
12/10/2013 3:43 PM
Red had ice-water running though his vains
12/10/2013 4:26 PM (edited)
Boston is starting a great rebuild, I like the Olynyk kid. For a big man he's really agile, he move backwards well, keeping his man in front of him. he needs some time in the weight rm to avoid injury. Right now I like SA & Da Clippers, who LA stole from San Diego..give em back.
12/10/2013 4:33 PM
Looks like another dead league. I'm done playiing commish on this site.
12/15/2013 12:51 PM
smokey - you got 19 IN-

that's pretty damn close to be throwing in the towel-

come on man !!!

12/17/2013 12:01 PM
OK, I've asked owners in all my league to join and this appears to be everyone that's interested. Sky wants me to open it up to 2 teams per owner. Sky & I will take 2 teams, if 3 owners will also take 2 teams then we can play. I imagine that the new millennium will attract more interest. But I'm basicly an AH and as such, there will be no new millennium until the 50/60's gets played. I'm sm everybody soon.
12/17/2013 12:59 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...44 Next ▸
DDL #4 on-the-clock draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.