Power conference to the Summit...why not? Topic

Looking for a change...leaving one of the five best jobs in Allen and in the best conference by far with a disgusting amount of tourney money all to go to the second worst conference in the country and the absolute worst team in the country...just to see if a complete turnaround can be done. I realize this has been done before in Rupp with Conference USA...but their baseline prestige was way higher and there were some inherent advantages that we won't have in the Summit. If you are looking for a challenge and want to play with some of the best coaches around ( I don't want to name them now, but they are among the very best and not recognized coaches in Allen) throw me a sitemail.

This running thread will show where we started and see if we can crack the ACC and power conference dominance code.
12/6/2013 5:59 AM (edited)
As a side note, I've had a one-season head start on coaching in the Summit.  I'll be nice and try not to use that advantage to dominate too much.

Of course, by "try not to dominate too much" I really mean "try not to be destroyed by clearly superior coaching too much".
12/6/2013 12:41 PM
So it begins...frankly, I am not sure it can be done in the constraints of the system now, even with the two best power conferences losing a ton. Man is it going to stink being the worst team in a terrible conference for now....the conference though will be scary good in four years I believe.
12/7/2013 12:09 AM
This will be fun to watch.  Hopefully we can get something like this going in Iba.  This game needs to be shaken up at the DI level.  Hats off to you guys.
12/7/2013 11:32 AM
Thanks creilmann...we're going to see where this leads
12/7/2013 3:40 PM
Well the gang almost all here...should be interesting. My team Mercer , is the absolute worst team in rpi (324 out of 324) and has an overall rating of 600....oh boy this is going to be tough, especially without $60,000 + of ACC tourney money to help.

Time to start with early polls...first one being, which team will sign the best recruit this year both short-term and long-term?

I will guess oral Roberts for both with the prestige advantage.
12/8/2013 9:06 AM
Before: 

After:

12/8/2013 2:40 PM
Well, this should be a challenge. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks, umpikes, for getting he ball rolling on this. We've all been witnesses to what a power conference with dominant coaching can do to a world. Maybe someday this world can be all full minor conferences and the big 6 will be empty. Then we can see who really can build a dynasty.

For now, lets get this ball rolling. I'm excited to keep tabs on the major conference accomplishments. (I'm sure I'll get help from others: first tourney team, first second round tourney team, first at large tourney team, first nba pick, first all American, first 3- 4- and 5-star recruit, etc.
12/8/2013 5:05 PM
I thought I would post this here for you guys.
Sort of a Barometer to check your progress against.
RUPP C-USA
Conference Post-Season Recruiting Bonus:

Season #1  = $  30,000                 NT ( 1st )        PIT ( 2nd )
               #2  = $  20,000                  NT ( 1st )
               #3  = $  95,000                  NT ( 1st, 1st, 1st )      PIT ( 2nd, 1st )
               #4  =  $180,000                 NT ( E8, 2nd, 1st, 1st )      PIT  ( F4 )
               #5  =  $155,000                 NT ( S/16, 2nd, 1st, 1st )   PIT  ( 2nd, 1st )
               #6 =   $ 220,000                NT ( E8, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st,)  PIT ( F4, 3rd, 1st)
                #7 =   $ 360,000               NT ( F4, F4, E8, 2nd, 1st, ) PIT ( 2nd, 2nd)
               #8  =   $ 170,000               NT ( E8, 1st, 1st, 1st ) PIT ( F4, 1st, 1st)  boo hiss
               #9  =   $ 200,000               NT ( S16, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st) PIT ( Title , 3rd) little better  (8 post-season)
              #10 =   $ 310,000               NT ( E8, S16, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st) PIT ( 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st) Much better! (11 postseason)
              #11 =   $ 375,000               NT ( E8, S16, S16, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd )   PIT ( Title, F4, 1st, 1st )   HUGE!!!!   (10 Postseason)
              #12 =   $ 200,000               NT ( 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st )  PIT ( 2nd, 1st, 1st )  very lame for us
(R62)    #13 =   $ 310,000               NT (E8, S16, S16, 2nd, 1st, 1st)  PIT (F4, 1st, 1st) (9 postseason)
              #14 =   $ 335,000               NT ( E8, S16, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd) PIT ( 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st)   (B12 $400, ACC $345)
              #15 =   $ 365,000               NT (Title - Marshall) (S16, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st) PIT( F4, 3rd, 2nd) (SEC 340, B12 335)
    65     #16 =    $ 320,000                    (B12-340k, BE-325, CUSA-320, SEC-305, B10 & PAC10-280, ACC-275) 
    66     #17 =    $ 410,000                    (SEC-505k, CUSA-410, BE-370, ACC-250, B12-240, B10-210, P10-190) CUSA= 8NT 4 PIT
    67     #18 =    $435,000                     (B12-425, SEC-340, ACC-285, BE-245, P10-240, B10-205)  CUSA= 8 NT 1 PIT  
    68     #19 =    $405,000                     (SEC 385, B12 340, ACC 330, P10 270, BE 225, B10 220)

Good Luck.
12/9/2013 10:55 AM
The three of us that were in the Summit last season managed to get one 16 seed into the NT.  So as a starting point:

Season #0 = $20,000           NT (1st)

Nowhere to go but up!

12/9/2013 1:16 PM
Well ...first pothole...we lost a great coach on a ridiculous rule...oy veh!

As for previous post, thanks for the great post zags...although I still think it's apples and oranges. Admittedly, we hope to achieve the same level of success, but c-USA has a much higher baseline to start with and teams in their already had much better prestiges. It didn't hurt that their collection of coaches was perhaps the best seen in the game. Lastly, no conference in Rupp had ACC Allen like success and recruiting money. It will be fun to try though to get where they are :)
12/9/2013 9:53 PM
I have joined the SL as the coach of Oral Roberts. I do however feel bad about how I got the job. Anyway this should be very interesting and sounds like a blast! I can't wait for recruiting to start! Go Golden Eagles!
12/10/2013 3:44 AM
It occurred to me as people were both ripping and praising the idea to go to a small conference that I didn't ever explain the rationale. For awhile in Allen the ACC has ruled, some would say with an iron fist. With supremely talented coaches (I would say 5-11 of the best in the game in girt, kyle, kelby, acn, brike, fmschwab, etc to name just a few.), a seemingly unlimited recruiting budget, and a lucky turn in an extremely down Big East and SEC, it seemed like the champion would almost never go away from the ACC (much like the SEC in football...though it has gone to the Big 12 a few times thanks to JP and Reinsel). Having spoken with girt at length about his Rupp conference, I decided I wanted something like that but I wanted to take it one step further. Conference USA had been done and it is/was a good baseline to start at. I wanted a conference dramatically worse. Also few, if any, worlds had/have seen a conference lead like the ACC has (and the Big 12 right behind) in Allen. I shared my idea with girt and then JP. I asked a few conference mates from the ACC and a few from my old one in the Big 12 (and a smattering of those outside those areas thanks to advice from a few people mentioned). This wasn't meant to be a beauty contest or popularity contest. I reached out to people who I  A) knew were great coaches and could hack it with the disadvantages we were going to have B) might be up for a challenge and/or change and C) people who had a lot to lose and in doing so might even out all of Allen (i.e. ACC and Big 12). I was hoping for 3 from each conference and we had that until last night.  I posted my intentions on the main board before jobs so others might want to think about joining and I sitemailed coaches already in the Summit to alert them of my plan and see if they were okay with it (and if not, this would be a heads up that they might want to leave). The Summit coaches have been extremely cool about it. As for picking the Summit...a ton of thought and discussion went into it. I wanted a conference that was low but more importantly was spread out so teams wouldn't automatically cannibalize on each other in recruiting. I didn't want a conference with a Super School with incredible baseline prestige or one that a few teams had drastic current prestige advantages. I truly thought about the Big Sky, but I had already seen the mountain top in that conference before recruiting changes so I didn't want to go back. I also thought a ton about the Horizon (too many schools close together). I wanted something new and wanted to see if something as seemingly impossible as turning the worst (second worst actually) conference in the country and the absolute worst RPI team in the country (324 out of 324) into a force to be reckoned with was possible. I am not sure it can be done and everything has not been perfect (just read our coaches corner and you'll see that I didn't expect the exact putridness of the players and wasn't sure who we'd end up with as our final 4 coaches), but it is looking up and I am excited for the challenge. 
12/10/2013 9:09 PM
If the first cycle of recruiting is any indication, I am in for a long season and career at Mercer. I can't say I expected big six conference schools to go after guys in the low to mid 500's ranked in the 80's or below at their position. I certainly may have aimed too high, but man will those guys stink in that big conference.
12/11/2013 8:45 PM
On an aside, I know this game can't exactly mimmic real life (nor should it), but can anyone tell me the big deal in being able to have the ability to redshirt two guys instead of one? You could still have 10 guys playing AND be able to pull a redshirt whenever in case of injury. I get that you perhaps shouldn't be able to redshirt two if you have 5 walk-ons, but it seems like an easy fix to allow teams to build depth (especially at lower prestiges) and be better in the future. 
12/14/2013 9:44 AM
123 Next ▸
Power conference to the Summit...why not? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.