NFL DRAFT LEAGUE (FULL,.drafting/waitlist forming Topic

in
12/10/2013 1:03 AM
hey all, just a thought; would $75MIL be kind of high for this uniquely great idea that amerk has? Since we can't all get the same great QB, RB, WR/TE & O-line, that's a ton of dough left for 'other'. I'd be willing to take it down to a lower cap (60, 65, 70) if others were OK with it.
12/13/2013 1:49 PM
Haven't played football sim in awhile but like this draft idea. Count me in also
12/13/2013 3:03 PM
Tom makes a good point about the salary cap.  ESPECIALLY if every owner decides to do what everyone typically does in most open leagues--draft a $21-22 million dollar defense, $325 thousand kicker and punter and the Giants special teams, then spend as much as they can on offensive talent.

My vision for this draft league is to give each owner a sense of balance that they never get in open leagues, as well as a chance to draft a $30 million dollar defense, ehich anyone with half a brain who has played a couple of open leagues, realizes that they never should spend that much on defense.

With less stacked skill position rosters than a typical open league. I want everyone to have enough cash to buy a very dolid defense, a $2-3 million dollar kicker and/or punter and good special teams.  This should result in more real football across the ages, instead of the video game type stats of a typical open league.

Perhaps the answer if we keep it at $75 mill is to mandate minimum limits on defenses at least and perhaps ST, and maybe K and P?  

Any thought Tom?  Anyone else who has entered so far?
12/14/2013 3:29 AM
bump
12/15/2013 11:29 PM
I vote to keep the cap at $75 million
12/16/2013 9:53 AM
Yeah I am gonna keep it at $75 for something a lil different from open leagues.

Since there wasn't a big clamor for everyone to agree with tomhanrahan, I can only assume that most others who have signed up like the cap wherre it is.

I also did a sample draft recently at that cap.  With predictable guys and salaries of players available, plus drafting a $30 mill defense, $5 mill O line, $3 mill kicker, $1.5 million punter, and $3.5 mill special teams, it allowed me to have around $5 million to draft my remaining 12 players.   That seemed just about right for me.

The main thing IU want in this is to allow guys to draft a good defense and still have enough money to draft decent starters at starters salaries at the skill position.  If someone would like to try drafting a 4--5 million dollar kicker and spending only $27 million on defense, they have the flexibility to do so.

I don't want to have a cap that is so low that everyone has to draft a $20 million dollar defense to be able to afford them.  That would be just like an open league.  

I think $75 mill gives everyone just the right amount of flexibility to go in whatever direction they want to go.  Plus, makes for some interesting choices.  If someone wants to draft the Bears defense, they could go with the 42 Bears if they can draft right.  Then they have to decide if they want to draft the Bears D in the first round?  Second?  Third?  When will they get taken and how long do you wait?  It'll be just like a typical fantasy draft.  I like the possibilites at $75 mill
12/18/2013 2:07 AM (edited)

solid answer, amerk; thanks. I hope we fill this baby up!

12/17/2013 3:59 PM
Again I repeat, I am not in any current leagues so I could use everyones help.  Please mention this league in the forums of your leagues.  Thanks
12/21/2013 4:16 AM
amerk, maybe if this Draft League appeared among the options when people went to the list of  "Theme Leagues", you would get more interest?

12/21/2013 9:34 AM
roadhouse19 says he will join us!
12/22/2013 6:24 PM
Sweet!  It'll be good to have roadie along for the ride
12/23/2013 2:34 PM
I'll play
12/24/2013 3:31 PM
All Right!  You're in rolltide!  Up to 11...tell your friends.
12/25/2013 12:46 AM
In an effort to fill this league quicker, I will allow any owner who has already signed up to take on a 2nd team if they wish.  Follow up here with another post of interest or sitemail me
1/1/2014 3:16 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
NFL DRAFT LEAGUE (FULL,.drafting/waitlist forming Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.