NFL DRAFT LEAGUE (FULL,.drafting/waitlist forming Topic

The time has come for something different in the what if simulation.  That thing is the NFL Draft League!

Are you tired of playing against Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees or Tom Brady every single game in your open league schedule?  This NFL draft league will end that problem, as only ONE of the 24 teams in the league will have Aaron Rodgers, Brees and Brady.  Same for OJ, Jim Brown, Crazy Legs and so on./

Here is how it works:

Each owner signs up here in the forum.  Once we have 24 owners, I will randomly decide the draft order 

Once the draft order is established, the draft will begin on the Sim League football "theme league" forum.

Each owner can decide who to pick with each pick.  You don't HAVE to draft a QB first.  If you have the 4th pick for example, and Rodgers, Brady, and Brees are gone, you may decide to pick Jim Brown or OJ or Walter Payton over Dan Fouts or Matt Stafford or another QB.  If you have the 11th or 12th pick and you would tather take Crazy Legs Hirsch than a QB or RB, hey, go for it!  If you want to take the 42 Bears D and build a team round that, it's up to you.

There will be eight total rounds.  In the draft portion of the team construction, each owner MUST draft ONE QB, ONE RB, TWO WR's, ONE TE, ONE Offensive line, and ONE Defense.  That equals seven of course and the remaining spot can be either a QB, RB, WR or TE.

All draft picks will be EXCLUSIVE.  That means that once you draft Aaron Rodgers, not one other team will be able to use ANY Aaaron Rodgers season.  Once an owner drafts a player, that player is his for the rest of the league, including non drafted position picks.  Same goes for defenses.  Once someone picks, say, the Chicago Bears, they can use any season of Bears defenses, and no one else can use ANY Bears defenses.  Also, there are no clones.  You may only use one season of your drafted players.

The entire draft will be "on the clock", but times will be adjusted in case we get ahead.  Proxy picks are accepted and even encouraged.  That means, an owner can sitemail their pick to me, or any other owner, and they will be posted and count.

If an owner misses their draft time slot, they will be skipped, but can make their pick whenever they get online and notice that their turn has been skipped. 

The overall salary cap will be $75 million dollars for each team

Once the draft portion is complete, each owner may fill their team with ANY PLAYER WHO WAS NOT DRAFTED, plus punter/kicker/special teams etc

The extra $15 million from a typical open league gives each owner the strategical choice of how they want to spend that money.  Do you want to spend more on the defense that you drafted, or on players or on a better Offensive line or special teams or kicker.

If this takes off and everyone enjoys it, I can see this being a long running NFL league.

One last thing...ideally, I would like to wait to start the draft AFTER the 2013 players come out, so this will be a great chance to use those guys for the first time.  It will be interesting to see if the first pick will be 13 Peyton Manning or 11 Aaron Rodgers.

Now.....who wants in?

12/23/2013 5:03 PM (edited)

1.  amerk1180
 2.  tonyvoss
 3.  isaacqbs58
 4. gencoimports
 5  coolmay_one
 6  tomhanrahan
 7. tyvegas
 8. glen87
 9.  kacyon
10. roadhouse19
11. rolltide46
12. glen87  (2nd team)
13.  mark102857
14.  Got_worms
15.  jjohn45
16.  specsman
17.  keymaster
18.  pg99
19.  johnberlin
20.  keymaster (2nd team)
21.  gwhouse
22.  grayfoxx
23,  tarheel1991
24,  eman283
sitemail list:    tonyvoss;isacqbs58;gencoimports;coolmay_one;tomhanrahan;tyvegas;glen87;kacyon;pyt100;mark102857;Got_Worms;jjohn45;
specsman;keymaster;pg99;johnberlin;roadhouse19;gwhouse;grayfoxx;tarheel1991;eman283;whatifle;rejay
2/10/2014 2:04 AM (edited)
am in sounds good
12/6/2013 6:51 AM
I will try
12/6/2013 9:41 AM
Once you draft a player, do you have to start with his rookie year and go from there or can you pick and choose which season(s) you will use for him?
12/6/2013 4:22 PM
Yes, once you draft a player, you can use any season  that you want from that player.  Keep in mind that the cap is $75 million, so if you plan on drafting a high end defense, you may have to pick a lower cost year from some of your drafted skill position guys.  Personally, I would deal with defense later and pick the best available seasons of each player I would draft
12/6/2013 4:44 PM
***Once an owner drafts a player, that player is his for the rest of the league, including non drafted position picks. ***

How could all of the non drafted players belong to you for the rest of the league??  Couldnt everyone possibly have the same #2RB, #3-4WR, #2TE??
12/6/2013 6:20 PM
count me in
12/6/2013 6:54 PM
Posted by grayfoxx on 12/6/2013 6:20:00 PM (view original):
***Once an owner drafts a player, that player is his for the rest of the league, including non drafted position picks. ***

How could all of the non drafted players belong to you for the rest of the league??  Couldnt everyone possibly have the same #2RB, #3-4WR, #2TE??
Yes they could.  Lets say....Kevin Faulk is not drafted in the 7 round draft.  Every single team could pick any season of Kevin Faulk as their 2nd, 3rd or 4th running back.

Any player who was NOT drafted, may be picked by all other teams to fill out their rosters. Make sense?  We're not going to have a 24 round draft on here to fill out everyones teams with exclusive players, so there can and probably will be the same guys on different teams.  It just won't be the main guys
12/8/2013 4:29 AM (edited)
I am not in any active football leagues right now guys, so whoever is signed up, please mention this sign up thread in your league forums.  Thanks
12/7/2013 8:29 PM
Count me in.
12/7/2013 10:05 PM
I'll bite!
12/8/2013 6:53 AM
ncmusician made some good suggestions.  I am changing the draft to EIGHT rounds to make it fair to all 24 players.  The seventh must draft spot will be an offensive line
12/9/2013 12:53 AM

I'm in!

12/9/2013 2:29 PM
Allright!  Welcome ty.  We're almost a third of the way there.  Tell your friends!

By the way, I am looking for a volunteer owner of the league who is on a "day schedule" to help me out with the draft.  I'd need someone who can check their sitemail a few times from like 8 or 9 am to 3 or 4 pm, and post proxy picks on the draft thread for me.  I am a night owl and will handle everything else from 3 or 4 pm til 10 or 11 pm.

I'd like to set the on the clock picks from around 9 am til 11 pm or midnight.  Anyone who signs up who can help me with the "day" picks, please let me know.
12/9/2013 6:39 PM
12345 Next ▸
NFL DRAFT LEAGUE (FULL,.drafting/waitlist forming Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.