Cano a Mariner Topic

release wells, trade gardner for 2b or sp. ichiro can pinch run.
12/7/2013 8:43 AM
Jay Z thought he could pick the Yankees pockets....**** him...and Cano too...glad the Yanks didn't bend
12/8/2013 1:31 PM
Look at his 2008 season. I'd be willing to bet that's what the next few years of this contract are going to look like. 
12/8/2013 8:05 PM
I doubt any of us truly understands the economics of MLB any more. I doubt if any teams "expect" guys to be productive at the end of a long-term deal, but it is a way to spread the cost out over time...and future dollars are always worth less than present ones (unless there is deflation of course). Seattle needs to make a splash and hope that this deal can attract others guys to come to Seattle as well. The $$$ spent represents far more than what Cano is "worth." For that matter, no professional athlete is "worth" what they make in terms of their contribution to society. None of us is writing the checks or has a gun against our heads saying "watch and buy merch or else." Despite the M's sucking for some time now, they are still a money maker and aside from Felix and Kuma ($6.7m) no one is making big money. So why not make a splash? For any of us to say this is a dumb move or a brilliant move is pure speculation...we will just have to wait and see. And for all the Yankee fans who love a guy when he is a Yankee, or signs with them because of the money they throw at them...it sucks when it happens to your team, doesn't it?

Buhner > Phelps    Big Unit > Langston   The M's don't always make bad deals.

12/9/2013 1:03 AM

Most Yankee fans I know are glad NY didn't give Cano that deal.    So, no, it doesn't always suck when it happens to our team.

12/9/2013 7:58 AM
I have a hard time understanding giving Ellsbury the deal he got, and then offering Cano pretty much the same deal.  If they consider Ellsbury and Cano the same as it comes to value, they're insane.  Cano's camp was saying that if the Yankees got to $200M, he would have stayed.  The Yankees apparently moved from $170M to $175M in their offer.
12/9/2013 9:46 AM

10/200?   I don't think that's true.    I'm a bit befuddled about the Ellsbury deal also.   I know it weakens Boston but now the Yanks have 6 OF on the roster and Gardner is the only one that could be considered a tradeable commodity. 

12/9/2013 10:11 AM
I heard 9 and 200.  And I'm confident Wells will get cut.
12/9/2013 10:42 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/9/2013 10:42:00 AM (view original):
I heard 9 and 200.  And I'm confident Wells will get cut.

Plan A would be find a team willing to give Ichiro ABs based on his name, no prospects (of significance) but willing to take the salary.
Plan B trade Gardner for SP, but it'll be hard to get the type of pitcher they want since he only has 1 year left on his contract.
If neither of those happen, they'll cut Wells.

So most likely, they'll cut Wells, but if they back off their demands for Gardner, I could see him being moved.  Gardner should be playing full time though, too good not to.

12/9/2013 10:56 AM
I get trading Gardner at this point, especially since he's most valuable when playing center field.  
12/9/2013 11:02 AM
He brings youth and athleticism to the Yanks.  Something they're sorely lacking.   Moving him is a bad idea.    Trading Wells, Ichiro or Soriano, while eating some salary, makes far more sense.    I just don't think they're movable unless the Yanks pay 90% of their salary.
12/9/2013 12:06 PM
Yea, I don't see anyone wanting any of those 3 guys on their team except for Soriano, like you said, if you eat the vast majority of the $.  Even so, I'd bet Gardner gets more in trade, even for a rental.  If you're not going to keep Gardner long-term, get something for him.
12/9/2013 12:27 PM
◂ Prev 1234
Cano a Mariner Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.