Posted by bheid408 on 12/8/2013 4:57:00 PM (view original):
If someone has the ability to completely change the direction of where a recruit is going to play plus sign him in 1 days time, then I am wasting my time and money.
How long should it take? There's only a week of recruiting available. If it were such that every recruit you had green was committed to you completely then it would simply be a claiming game, not recruiting. I don't think there is an issue at all with the way it works.

If you only put in a small amount of effort, it doesn't take much to sway the recruit either. 
12/8/2013 5:13 PM
As much as the gameplanning sucks, I do like the recruiting that GD offers. It's probably the only reason why I'm still playing. I don't know any coach that doesn't check back during every cycle. I almost always send my green players something, letters, calls...etc. until they sign with me. I just had two guys try to snap a couple of my recruits but I fended them off by consistently checking and contacting those recruits. If you missed eight cycles, you shouldn't be surprised at all. 
12/8/2013 5:28 PM
Posted by cjsweat on 12/8/2013 5:28:00 PM (view original):
As much as the gameplanning sucks, I do like the recruiting that GD offers. It's probably the only reason why I'm still playing. I don't know any coach that doesn't check back during every cycle. I almost always send my green players something, letters, calls...etc. until they sign with me. I just had two guys try to snap a couple of my recruits but I fended them off by consistently checking and contacting those recruits. If you missed eight cycles, you shouldn't be surprised at all. 
You don't need to check in EVERY cycle- I go 2-3 sometimes when I don't. However, 8 cycles is not a surprise as far as losing the recruit goes- that's 24 hours, surely somewhere in there you have 5 minutes to click a few buttons.
12/8/2013 5:32 PM
I check EVERY cycle, unless I'm totally engaged in work or something.  The only cycle I typically miss is the 3AM one...until I get my guys lined up.  I don't want some guy on the west coast to make a move that I can't recover from (I'm on east coast).  After the first day, its really just a quick check to make sure things did not go to hell.

I make it a priority, because it will impact my team for the next 5 months (4 seasons at 35 days per season cycle).  Its a pain, but its part of the price you pay to play this game.  My wife knows that when its recruiting time, I'm gonna be wrapped up a bit more than usual.  Now, I only recruit for one team.  Doing that for more than one team would totally suck.  Its more effort than I want to put in.

Lastly, the recruit is free game....until he signs.  I shudder to think that in real life a recruit might be considering Auburn and Gus Malzahn, then all of a sudden decides he would rather go to Alabama and Nick Saban.   I can hear the phone call now when Gus calls up Nick, "Hey Nick, WTF?  That guy was mine.  I'm gonna ruin your next class.  You don't go messin' with my recruits.  I paid good money for them to visit Auburn."
12/8/2013 5:46 PM
Remember, whatever world you are in, there are coaches who are setting their alarm clocks to get up at midnight, 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. (EST) to check their recruits.
12/8/2013 5:48 PM
Posted by bheid408 on 12/8/2013 2:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by caesari on 12/8/2013 1:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bheid408 on 12/8/2013 12:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by headpirate on 12/8/2013 10:36:00 AM (view original):
If recruit was green, you offered scholly, but recruit did not sign, then you failed to do a face to face. 8 cycles is more than plenty to turn a recruit.
I had done a face to face visit. What peeves me is that I didn't even get the chance to battle for him. Had I spent a ton of money on him to knock off sims and then someone else can steal him before I even get the chance to know what is happening is not right. I can't be on my computer every 3 or 4 hours to check on recruits. 
You couldn't check in one time during those 8 cycles? 
No.. I have a life outside of WIS. Whether it is work or family time it doesn't matter. Makes no sense to have a recruiting process that allows Recruiting to start on a Wednesday........ nothing happens for 3 days...... then they run 8 freakin cycles in 1 day?  That is stupid.
Plenty of people have a life outside of the game and are successful. When the game first started they did not have the 24 hour waiting period they have now, because the cool kids like you complained they were starting at a disadvantage for the ones who were on the west coast/worked 3rd shift/whatever.

Sounds like you have some sour grapes because you didn't work hard enough to earn a recruit.

12/8/2013 5:53 PM
During those 8 cycles you didn't check the recruit could have been yellow for 6 before you found out too late that someone else was after them. Lesson learned?
12/8/2013 6:31 PM
Evidently not being able to get to a computer for 24 hours on the first signing day of recruiting is not an option. Like I said, I can't be on here 24/7. Lesson learned!

usfbully: I worked plenty hard to get the recruit green and had the scholarship on the table in front of him when I left home. If someone can "snipe" a player so be it. I don't have an issue with that. My complaint is that it can happen in 1 day, or less!
12/8/2013 7:31 PM
I lost my best recruit the last recruiting period on the last day.  I had him green and had offered him a scholarship.  This was only my third year so It came as big shock to log in and find him considering another school.  Did it suck, yes.  But just chalk it up as a learning experience.  Next time Ill be more aware.  Recruiting is the most exciting part of this game and these types of instances are what makes it exciting.  How exciting is it if everyone turns there recruits green on day 2 and then its guaranteed hes yours.  Thatd be way too easy and boring as hell.  No offense to you bheid408 as from your last post it seems you've learned  and not acting this way but some of you guys act like lil  beotches when it comes to recruiting lol.
12/8/2013 7:42 PM
In D3, you can get a "green" recruit for less than $500.  I can flip that recruit to considering NO ONE but me for less than $1000.  All "green" isn't created equal and most coaches like to skate by on the absolute minimum amount of effort needed to get a recruit in the green.  

I don't stay on here 24/7 during recruiting either .. but I damn sure know that if I plan to play a game with dozens of other coaches who want to win, I probably need to spend 20-30 seconds every 4-5 hours to check the status of my recruiting.  

PROTIP:  You don't need a computer to check recruiting either.  Try a smartphone.  The refresh button works wonders.
12/8/2013 8:49 PM
During recruiting I try to at least scan to see if any of my green prospects go yellow at least every two cycles.  Also putting them in the 'priority' list helps if you have to use your phone/tablet, etc.

I have sniped players and gotten them from red to green in two cycles, the secret being making sure to use recruiting options they can not decline in the first cycle, then bring them on campus with the honeys.

Personally I sit on a war chest after getting my class lined up, then will 'upgrade' or make a big run at a "Sky is the Limit" player that I will sit on and hope the current 'owner' wastes his war chest and then swoop in and pluck a cherry to drop on top of the cake...

Recruiting is fun, until you run out of money and have to take someone you don't want...

12/8/2013 9:07 PM
For the record, I'm a full time college student, I work from 9-5 every weekday, and I'm engaged. Oh, I'm also a mascot at a division one university. My time is extremely limited but I find a way. I forgot that I do miss the 3am cycle, but that's it. It takes five minutes to contact about 15 recruits. Also, unless you are in multiple worlds, you don't have to recruit every day of the season. It just last for a week, and if you sign you recruits early, just a few days. I don't think it's a big deal to ask users to check their teams two to three times a day for a week. 
12/8/2013 9:15 PM
If you're that ****** over losing a guy over the course of 8 cycles, imagine how you'll feel when you lose one over one cycle. If you can't adjust to the realities of recruiting, you're not going to be having much fun with this game...
12/8/2013 11:59 PM
If I knew I was going to be away for 24hrs, I would throw as much cash as I could towards my best recruits or one's I didn't want to lose. I usually don't miss more than 1-2 cycles a day, so I've never worried about someone totally turning a recruit. I've had some turn yellow, but never from green me to green them. I get frustrated with guys stealing my recruits, but like everyone has said that is part of the game. Just deal with it and move on.
12/9/2013 1:48 AM
Tip: Don't share with the whole world that you go 8 cycles in recruiting without checking.  You just made yourself an even bigger target in the future I'd imagine....
12/9/2013 2:14 AM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.