I think I'm nearing the end of the line... Topic

Posted by crazyjoe02 on 12/13/2013 2:50:00 PM (view original):
I joined WiS in December of 2001. I wonder out of curiosity if there are any other active owners who have been around longer than that?
11-29-2000
12/14/2013 12:17 PM
Cool. WiS hadn't been around very long by then.
12/14/2013 12:28 PM
All you could do at the time was sim RL teams against each other and get a boxscore.  No simleagues or dynasty games or much else of interest that I can recall.
12/14/2013 5:18 PM
My sentiments as well Len.
I'm in 2 progressives and play an occasional theme but it just isn't interesting anymore.
12/14/2013 5:59 PM
November 16, 2001. I am not tired of WIS but I play only 2 or 3 leagues per year. I think some users may have some unique theme ideas but because they have limited experience or are not willing to be the commish the ideas are not communicated.
12/15/2013 1:39 PM
Posted by rback on 12/15/2013 1:39:00 PM (view original):
November 16, 2001. I am not tired of WIS but I play only 2 or 3 leagues per year. I think some users may have some unique theme ideas but because they have limited experience or are not willing to be the commish the ideas are not communicated.
Even those who try being a Commish with a new idea rarely get their theme filled anymore. I consider myself as one who has many different and unique ideas for themes and it has become next to impossible to fill those leagues. The long-term Commissioners such as schwarze, contrarian, finn, creed, can still fill a league but even they are taking longer to fill than they use to.

Having been Commish of some Progressives as well as Theme Leagues I found it a mental drain constantly having to find new owners for abandoned teams and finally gave up trying to keep them going. Seems the powers at WIS don't care anymore as the last update was in 2009 and the 2013 update thread that they started in January has been abandoned.
12/15/2013 3:08 PM
Yep. I don't even think the issue is with the developers that do work on WiS. I think they definitely work hard and care for the games that they work on, I think the issue is that since Fox bought WiS they just don't care as much about WiS as their other properties. I imagine that WiS brings in far less money for Fox than their other fantasy games do so they just don't allocate the manpower or resources needed to keep the game updated like we would like them too.
12/15/2013 3:34 PM
What if WIS management made the updates that you all are barking about and increased the fees to say $14.95 per team, would that pump your nads?
12/15/2013 7:22 PM

It would be hard to complain about higher prices.  Last price increase was what, 7 years ago?   We're due. 

I'm looking at managing my progressives as a chore these days.  Again, since I don't pay to play, it's hard to screw the other owners and walk away.... Doesn't cost me anything to help keep the leagues going. 

It would be one thing if the sim was perfect.  There are too many flaws.  We were in a mode of progressive innovation, where every release was a little better than the one before it, and we were driving towards an ideal sim.  But to not have any updates, to have to live with the same quirks and cookies for 4-5 years....Why? 

12/16/2013 8:28 AM
Posted by bheid408 on 12/15/2013 3:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rback on 12/15/2013 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Even those who try being a Commish with a new idea rarely get their theme filled anymore. I consider myself as one who has many different and unique ideas for themes and it has become next to impossible to fill those leagues. The long-term Commissioners such as schwarze, contrarian, finn, creed, can still fill a league but even they are taking longer to fill than they use to.

Having been Commish of some Progressives as well as Theme Leagues I found it a mental drain constantly having to find new owners for abandoned teams and finally gave up trying to keep them going. Seems the powers at WIS don't care anymore as the last update was in 2009 and the 2013 update thread that they started in January has been abandoned.
Having been Commish of some Progressives as well as Theme Leagues I found it a mental drain constantly having to find new owners for abandoned teams and finally gave up trying to keep them going.

THIS. And it's all leagues. The single season themes have always been hit or miss and I have found it hard to fill up some of the wackier ideas I've had. I hardly even try to do these anymore as I've only had 1 fill in the past year.

As for progressives, there used to be a core group of people and there was little turnover. Now, it seems like I'm always trying to find a couple guys a season to roll to the next year, and it takes longer and long to fill the league out. I can't go to my contacts list anymore because I've begged off those guys too many times. I love my leagues and I want them to keep going, but when it becomes true work to fill a league season after season, it gets frustrating.
12/16/2013 9:48 AM
Maybe the real question concerns the marketing of WIS. I would guess that there is a population out there who would like this product as we do but have little/no knowledge about it.
12/16/2013 1:39 PM
like it on facebook. They should have separate likes for each game.

up to this point I enjoy simulation more than fantasy. I actually may play in a mens wood bat real baseball league in the summer.

frazzman, why did you retire from HBD?
12/16/2013 2:17 PM
Posted by chisox378 on 12/16/2013 2:17:00 PM (view original):
like it on facebook. They should have separate likes for each game.

up to this point I enjoy simulation more than fantasy. I actually may play in a mens wood bat real baseball league in the summer.

frazzman, why did you retire from HBD?
I found HBD to be a good video game type baseball game without the graphics. I enjoyed playing it for a while, but there were several things that irked me about it to the point that I finally quit...injuries ruining entire $24.95 (or less) seasons, players stats varying wildly season to season even if their ratings didn't change and coach hiring being the biggest. I just didn't like the swings or the whole "True Fake Baseball" aspects as opposed to simleagues that are "fake baseball" but with real players and stats.

I'd rather draft and play with Babe Ruth than draft and play with "INSERT RANDOM NAME" 96 99 95 99 99 player...the simleagues just feel more real to me. Plus, I can understand players real life stats and how they will be expected to perform at varying cap levels depending on competition as opposed to the true dice rolls on the HBD side.
12/16/2013 2:29 PM
I really think they should run progressives like they do HD and GD.   There's a 3 day window to sign up, whatever teams don't get filled are run my sim, and the draft would be totally run by the WIS.

If I could cue up draft choices and do research on the website where it had accurate player lists I would play way more often.

12/16/2013 2:36 PM
Interesting, thanks for the reply. I kind of like the injuries in HBD, it makes it fun especially if you have depth. I like the player ratings as well even if a guy slipped up a little with the same stats. It makes it realistic.  But your right the coaching hiring was tedious especially with the coaches being not too loyal.  I like SLB as well because as you said they are real players and can help you learn about the history of the game.
12/16/2013 2:40 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
I think I'm nearing the end of the line... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.