GD Update 12/10/2013 Topic

We added the option to be notified anytime a world rolls over and opens up instead of having to select a specific world.  
12/11/2013 4:44 PM
Posted by citizenkane on 12/11/2013 1:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhouska on 12/11/2013 1:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhazlewood on 12/11/2013 12:20:00 PM (view original):
Please don't put in artificial restraints on running with WR.  Fatigue should be the real solution here -- running the ball should cause a lot of fatigue for a WR, and tiring them out from excessive running is (IMHO) the best way to address that issue.
+1

Plus, I'll add, please don't put restraints on running with the QB.  If a player has good/great rushing attributes (SPD/ELU/ATH/etc), then they should be good/great at rushing, even if it is from non-customary positions like QB and WR.

See: Denard Robinson or Pat White
& Tavon Austin
12/11/2013 5:25 PM
Posted by primetime27 on 12/10/2013 7:21:00 PM (view original):
So we just put make-up on a pig.
Fix fatigue, fix players being able to carry the ball 50+ and catch 20+ in games.
I'll let others fill in with more issues as i dont want to type all of them out
Ron Dayne...
12/11/2013 5:37 PM
When did Ron Dayne ever catch 20 passes in a game? 
12/12/2013 2:42 PM
Posted by oriole_fan on 12/11/2013 11:49:00 AM (view original):
1. Timeouts - Currently the logic is only set to be used when you management is set to Conserve Clock. This is fine for most of the game, but in the final minutes of a losing game on defense or offense the logic should be similar regardless of the clock management. I've made the changes, and they are being tested in my test league and should be released in the following update. 
2. Bad Penalty Text - A common complaint is that a penalty (mostly facemask) that is added on to the end of the play is confusing. I've updated the text and again it is on my server for testing. Should be pushed in the next release. 
3. Fatigue - I'm in the process of setting up a new test suite that will allow me to modify the factors of fatigue throughout a game. I'll be adjusting these and modifying them to make fatigue matter across a game. 
4. Running with Receivers - I'll be looking into the effects and results of running with receivers and working on a way to create a better alternative to the way things are currently happening. 
5. Play By Play - There is still some confusing text in the PBP that I'm looking to eliminate and reword. Also I'd like to add a little more variety to the output. 
I am still getting (relatively) basic errors in the penalty logic. For example, declining personal foul penalties and, today, this:

2:44 Own 47 2nd & 11   OFF: Trips    DEF: Nickel

Defense lines up for a run. Peter Wilson takes the handoff and rushes inside. Wilson is stopped behind the line by Miller for a loss of -1 yard. PENALTY on WPU, Defensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at WPU 43.

20 14
2:14 43 2nd & 1   OFF: I-Formation    DEF: 4-3

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Johnson. Peter Wilson takes the handoff and rushes inside. Wilson is stopped behind the line by Robinson for a loss of -1 yard. Wilson fumbles the ball near the WPU 46. It's recovered by the HomeTeam. Robinson makes the pick up.

FUMBLE recovered by WPU (Michael Robinson) on the WPU 46.

You can argue, of course, that it doesn't matter since my RB fumbled on the next play. And, that would be a fair point. But... defensive holding is an automatic first down. In every level of football. This is actually the 2nd time I've encountered this error. Shouldn't we have resolved these issues by now?
12/16/2013 2:46 PM
Actually Holding is a 10 yard penalty in college football and it's not an automatic first down according to my rulebook and I don't believe this has changed. If you have a reliable reference that says otherwise I'll investigate further. 

12/16/2013 4:32 PM (edited)
NCAA RULE 9-3-4
In the 2009-10 edition of the NCAA Football Rulebook, Rule 9 covers "Conduct of Players and Others Subject to the Rules." Section 3 covers "Blocking, Use of Hands or Arms" and Section 4 is directed at defensive players. Section 3, Article 4 of Rule 9 states that a "defensive player may use hands and arms to push, pull, ward off or lift offensive players when attempting to reach the runner." But they may not use hands and arms to tackle, hold or otherwise illegally obstruct an opponent other than a ball carrier. This is, by definition, defensive holding and carries a 10-yard penalty that is awarded to the offense as well as an automatic first down.
12/16/2013 6:00 PM
To be perfectly honest, I searched the NCAA rule book today. The only defensive holding I found was in the context of a passing play (and is an automatic first down). I need to keep looking I guess. It could be there's no such thing as defensive holding on running plays. Apparently I don't know the rules as well as I thought.
12/16/2013 6:31 PM
Here is the list of Auto first downs on the defense according to this.

AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWNS (DEFENSIVE FOULS)
Pass interference 
Striking; tripping 
Targeting/Initiating Contact w/Crown of Helmet 
Contact to head/neck area of a defenseless player 
Clipping 
Blocking below the waist 
Late Hit/action out of bounds 
Helmet / Face Mask Fouls 
Roughing the passer 
Chop Blocking 
Leverage/Leaping 
Fouling an opponent obviously out of the play 
Hurdling 
Illegal contact against the snapper 
Horse Collar Tackle 
Roughing the kicker 
Unsportsmanlike Conduct 
Illegal contact with eligible receiver 
Fighting [also disqualification] 

12/17/2013 11:43 AM
Thanks. I retract my complaint. :)
12/17/2013 1:05 PM
I have a problem with playbooks. Can you make it that each team you own has seperate playbooks and that if they are the same name changing one doesn't effect the other.
12/18/2013 5:06 AM
1. Timeouts - Currently the logic is only set to be used when you management is set to Conserve Clock. This is fine for most of the game, but in the final minutes of a losing game on defense or offense the logic should be similar regardless of the clock management. I've made the changes, and they are being tested in my test league and should be released in the following update. 
2. Bad Penalty Text - A common complaint is that a penalty (mostly facemask) that is added on to the end of the play is confusing. I've updated the text and again it is on my server for testing. Should be pushed in the next release. 
3. Fatigue - I'm in the process of setting up a new test suite that will allow me to modify the factors of fatigue throughout a game. I'll be adjusting these and modifying them to make fatigue matter across a game. 
4. Running with Receivers - I'll be looking into the effects and results of running with receivers and working on a way to create a better alternative to the way things are currently happening. 
5. Play By Play - There is still some confusing text in the PBP that I'm looking to eliminate and reword. Also I'd like to add a little more variety to the output. 
Respectfully, #5 should be #1 and not for more variety, but more accuracy and detail. What's the point of all of the new gameplanning features if a coach can't tell what's going on (ie. who's actually in coverage, how much pressure is actually on the QB)
12/18/2013 7:11 AM
Posted by andyjoemich on 12/18/2013 7:11:00 AM (view original):
Respectfully, #5 should be #1 and not for more variety, but more accuracy and detail. What's the point of all of the new gameplanning features if a coach can't tell what's going on (ie. who's actually in coverage, how much pressure is actually on the QB)
+1
12/18/2013 9:15 AM
Posted by andyjoemich on 12/18/2013 7:11:00 AM (view original):
Couldn't disagree more.

I continue to think fixing fatigue is far and away the highest priority. That flows through every aspect of the game. If the engine works fine but the PBP is confusing (or even misleading) at times, we'll survive.

12/18/2013 10:01 AM
Fatigue is the singe item that needs to be fixed the most and needs to be fixed quickly.  Otherwise, we will just recruit 22 guys and let them play.  Fatigue (or lack thereof) impacts every play of every game.

1.  Allows the "starters" to remain in the game almost 100% of plays
2.  Allows their attributes to remain essentially unchanged, no matter how much PT they have during the game.  WRs don't lose a step, DLs do not start putting their hands on their hips.....

This is allowing some strange and unanticipated things to go on in this game.  This needs to be fixed first and foremost.  No point in telling me who is covering my WRs when I only throw to or run one of them over and over and over again.  Or when I throw 67 passes to one RB who tears it up for 3000 yards receiving in one game.

I mean come on....the great Al Bundy only had 4 touchdowns in a single game...and he only did that once!
12/18/2013 10:15 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
GD Update 12/10/2013 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.