Next: We don't keep score.... Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/20/2013 4:23:00 PM (view original):
Who the **** is talking about brain injuries?   If we're going for safety, it seems like protecting elbows from thrown baseballs is a good thing.  
death mentioned concussions.

Concussions are brain injuries.

You're welcome.

12/20/2013 5:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/20/2013 4:56:00 PM (view original):
It's a thread full of retards who start talking about brain injuries when the discussion is centered on elbow armor. 

Who the **** gets his in the elbow and suffers a concussion?    I could see it if a few of you were hit in the *** because that's where your head's at.
The discussion was actually centered on protecting catchers. It then switched (by you, initially) to protecting pitchers. It then switched (again by you) to elbow armor. I see no reason why death can't move it to concussions, since concussions are relevant to the discussion of almost all previous topics in this thread.
12/20/2013 5:59 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/20/2013 4:34:00 PM (view original):
This almost sounds like the PED argument.  "Well, yeah.   That safety equipment is fine but that other one is not." 

If a suit of armor makes a player feel safe, why should MLB say "Whoa, wait a goddam minute.  That's TOO safe!!!"  
It really is different, though. If you are taking a moral stand against cheating (as tec seems to do) then it doesn't make sense to dismiss some forms of cheating.

No one is taking a moral stand (either way) about rules designed to protect players. It seems like just about everyone (with the exception of one) understands that MLB should take reasonable steps to protect players while preventing players from exploiting those same rules to gain a competitive advantage.
12/20/2013 6:04 PM
I think the difference of opinion centers around the definition of "reasonable".

I think it's reasonable for a catcher who doesn't want contact at the plate to not block the plate.   Catchers do it all the time.
I think it's reasonable for an umpite to say "You did not make a legitimate attempt to avoid being hit by that pitched ball."   No need to outlaw body armor.

Oddly enough, I have no issue with headgear for pitchers.   I think it's a bit silly but, if it makes a pitcher more comfortable and/or safer, he should wear it.   I don't think a pitcher will pitch differently because he's got padding on his head.   But it won't prevent a Florie situation so I don't think it needs to be mandatory.
12/20/2013 6:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/20/2013 6:29:00 PM (view original):
I think the difference of opinion centers around the definition of "reasonable".

I think it's reasonable for a catcher who doesn't want contact at the plate to not block the plate.   Catchers do it all the time.
I think it's reasonable for an umpite to say "You did not make a legitimate attempt to avoid being hit by that pitched ball."   No need to outlaw body armor.

Oddly enough, I have no issue with headgear for pitchers.   I think it's a bit silly but, if it makes a pitcher more comfortable and/or safer, he should wear it.   I don't think a pitcher will pitch differently because he's got padding on his head.   But it won't prevent a Florie situation so I don't think it needs to be mandatory.
But it's wrong to make catchers take it upon themselves to choose their health over a competitive advantage.

It's the same reason that employers can get in trouble if they don't mandate that certain workers take a lunch break. 
12/20/2013 7:51 PM

If that's the line of reasoning, where do you stop with it?

Is it wrong to make an outfielder take it upon himself to choose his health over a competitive advantage when deciding whether to crash into the wall going after a catch?  Or whether to lay out for a diving catch?

And why aren't we banning the takeout slide at 2B?  The fielder doesn't even have a choice in that one.  

12/20/2013 10:18 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/20/2013 7:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/20/2013 6:29:00 PM (view original):

But it's wrong to make catchers take it upon themselves to choose their health over a competitive advantage.

It's the same reason that employers can get in trouble if they don't mandate that certain workers take a lunch break. 
Is it?   Isn't a batter choosing when he approaches the plate?   Isn't a pitcher choosing when he takes the mound?   It's far safer to sit on the bench than to be on the field.      Everyone makes choices every day with regards to their health.    Who hasn't gone to work when they'd have been better served taking a dose of Nyquil and sleeping for another 6 hours?
12/21/2013 7:26 AM
We are arguing over the same type of things our government argues over every day.
What is best for the minority of population.

Why does MLB need to make rules for an event that happens less than the majority of the time?
Why does are government design legislation to only help the minority of the population?
12/21/2013 12:23 PM
IMO, MLB is doing it to get ahead of the types of lawsuits the NFL is facing.   If they are so concerned about player safety, they'd make the Cubs pull down the ivy and replace it with padding.   They'd give yearlong bans to anyone caught using drugs, performance enhancers or recreational, that are known to have adverse effects on health.  They'd give lengthy suspensions to pitchers who "send a message".    The list goes on and on.

Politicians do it for votes.

12/21/2013 12:52 PM
Question is, why are any of these lawsuits valid?

"Did you choose a career in professional sports?"..."Well, yes."..."Why?"..."Because I loved the game and got paid a lot."..."Could you have gotten a safer job making less money?"..."Well, yes."..."Were you aware that on occasion, people in your profession suffer injuries during the average work day?"..."Well, yes."..."Were you aware that getting hit in the head over and over again might be a bad thing?"..."It crossed my mind, ya."..."And now you want your employers to reimburse you for your injuries, even though you willingly chose to play this game, knowing injuries were a part of it, so you could make a lot more money than the average person?"..."Something like that."

I don't need a doctor to tell me that certain injuries, activities or professions are dangerous. That's why athletes make big bucks. If they want to be safe, let them go work in an office or at the local McDonald's.
12/21/2013 10:10 PM
I don't think they make big bucks because they might get hurt - they make big bucks because the teams and MLB make a lot of money because we give them a lot of money. I think the owners are driving a lot of the safety changes. Staying ahead of the lawsuits may be one reason. They also pay the players a lot of money and its guaranteed money. They players get paid whether they are on the field or at home or in a hospital so the owners are trying to keep them on the field.
12/22/2013 12:03 AM
Exactly. Safety has nothing to do with it. Do you think an owner cares if a $500K catcher gets a concussion, or breaks a leg and misses the rest of the season?

This was never a huge concern until a $100M man (Posey) got seriously hurt. And even after that, many coaches and players blamed his poor technique.

There have been many examples pointed out in this thread of game situations where a player can choose to play it safe and hope for the out, or go all out and sacrifice his body to save an out/run. No catcher is forced to stand there and take a hit, and no catcher who's standing off to the side is going to get drilled without some serious consequence for the runner.
12/22/2013 12:38 AM
Posted by skunk206 on 12/12/2013 5:13:00 PM (view original):
12/22/2013 9:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/21/2013 12:52:00 PM (view original):
IMO, MLB is doing it to get ahead of the types of lawsuits the NFL is facing.   If they are so concerned about player safety, they'd make the Cubs pull down the ivy and replace it with padding.   They'd give yearlong bans to anyone caught using drugs, performance enhancers or recreational, that are known to have adverse effects on health.  They'd give lengthy suspensions to pitchers who "send a message".    The list goes on and on.

Politicians do it for votes.

I disagree. I don't think MLB is changing the rule to get ahead of lawsuits. I think they are changing the rule to protect the investments that owners have made in their players.
12/23/2013 4:44 PM

Seems a bit naive.   Do you not think the NFL owners cared about their investments?

12/23/2013 7:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Next: We don't keep score.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.