Job logic: why HD is terminally ill Topic

Posted by girt25 on 12/17/2013 7:57:00 AM (view original):
I don't have a problem with requiring excellence to nab an elite program. Your resume is very solid, you've been consistently good, but not excellent. Other reasonable minds might disagree, and say that the sustained solidness should count for enough to land a premium program.

Even though I think the jobs process could certainly be improved upon, I don't think an inability to reach power conferences is one of the main problems. The power conferences are generally very close to full all the time. I actually think the better fix would be how they deal with non-BCS programs once people leave -- those need to be made more accessible to good D2 and lower DI coaches. As it stands now they simply go to rot after a coach moves up, and to me, that's by far the biggest problem with the DI jobs process.

+1
12/20/2013 4:54 PM
Posted by dcy0827 on 12/19/2013 4:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by terps21234 on 12/18/2013 10:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dcy0827 on 12/17/2013 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rsvphr on 12/17/2013 8:27:00 AM (view original):
Girt, you really think I'm not qualified for an A prestige program that has been to the NT 2 or 3 times in the last 30 seasons? In the real world that school would be recruiting me! I guess the Butler coach going to the BOSTON CELTICS was a result of him not qualifying for a A+ prestige job in D1.

I appreciate your evaluation  of my resume. It is that perspective that is going to send me back to D2 before the Big East is half sim.

As someone who has played at, and won at, the highest levels of D1, my opinion is that your resume should be fully qualified to get you accepted to any school with an open coaching position in that world.
Don't care that you won at the elite level. Listening to people like you about job hiring makes absolutely NO SENSE.  You state"fully qualified", HOW THE HELL IS A SIM FULLY QUALIFIED OVER A HUMAN WITH A GOOD RESUME.  NOBODY will tell me or give me any proof that a SIM coached team is more qualified than a GOOD human coach. Not a ****** human a GOOD human coach.  So once again nobody on any of these forums has proven why the hiring logic is OK for elite programs.  WHY? because nobody can because it's not.  I call bullshit.
 I didn't say anything about a Sim coach and in fact, had you actually bothered to read AND comprehend what I had written, you'd understand that I was saying that the OP's resume was the one "fully qualified" for any open D1 school.  Not a Sim coach.  The OP, genius.  You know, Rsvphr, the guy who started the thread.  The HUMAN coach.  Being able to read is cool, but being able to understand what is written is even better. 

So you're calling bullshit.  On what, exactly?  The fact that I AGREE that the HUMAN coach should be qualified for any open job?  Is that what you're calling bullshit on? 

Side note, jobs are running in Crum.  I have no intentions on leaving my D2 school, but being curious, checked what D1 jobs were available to me.  Loyalty is at an A+, Reputation is at an A+, so no issues there.  Last four seasons (oldest to most recent):  National Champion, Final Four, National Champion, first round exit but 28-2.  All of that barely (and I mean just barely) gets me a longshot for some of the bottom level C prestige jobs.  I'm qualified for almost all the C- jobs, and am qualified for all the D+ and below jobs, but I would think that a four year stretch like that would have some B and B+ prestige jobs available.  Alas, none to be had.  Wasn't moving anyway, but it's still a bit discouraging.

When I'm wrong I'm wrong. Sorry dcy, I am just sick of the SIM coached teams. I think I added some **** when reading that statement. I take no offense to people calling me out when I am wrong. Sorry dude
12/20/2013 9:22 PM
I will also echo those who suggest that firings should be ramped up in the BCS conferences -- particularly with elites and near-elites. Lots of resumes that we all could post and be stunned that people kept their jobs.

That said, it is a tough thing for WIS to manage -- they don't want to (and can't afford to) alienate too many people. So they do have to be a bit careful to protect themselves. But right now it's nearly impossible to get fired at a big-time school, and that definitely needs to be corrected.

12/20/2013 10:53 PM
Posted by girt25 on 12/20/2013 10:53:00 PM (view original):
I will also echo those who suggest that firings should be ramped up in the BCS conferences -- particularly with elites and near-elites. Lots of resumes that we all could post and be stunned that people kept their jobs.

That said, it is a tough thing for WIS to manage -- they don't want to (and can't afford to) alienate too many people. So they do have to be a bit careful to protect themselves. But right now it's nearly impossible to get fired at a big-time school, and that definitely needs to be corrected.

I agree on ramping up firings, and I'm not even really worried about the people it would alienate, since I think easily that many people (and likely more) are already put off by the fact that the elite jobs never open (and when they do no one qualifies, which  brings us full circle). Having more frequent openings would do nothing about the qualification process, so jobs would still probably sit open for a couple seasons and then need to be reborn, but the high baseline prestiges involved make me think that any coach deserving of the job would be able to turn it back around before getting canned.
12/21/2013 5:44 AM
Posted by terps21234 on 12/20/2013 9:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dcy0827 on 12/19/2013 4:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by terps21234 on 12/18/2013 10:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dcy0827 on 12/17/2013 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rsvphr on 12/17/2013 8:27:00 AM (view original):
Girt, you really think I'm not qualified for an A prestige program that has been to the NT 2 or 3 times in the last 30 seasons? In the real world that school would be recruiting me! I guess the Butler coach going to the BOSTON CELTICS was a result of him not qualifying for a A+ prestige job in D1.

I appreciate your evaluation  of my resume. It is that perspective that is going to send me back to D2 before the Big East is half sim.

As someone who has played at, and won at, the highest levels of D1, my opinion is that your resume should be fully qualified to get you accepted to any school with an open coaching position in that world.
Don't care that you won at the elite level. Listening to people like you about job hiring makes absolutely NO SENSE.  You state"fully qualified", HOW THE HELL IS A SIM FULLY QUALIFIED OVER A HUMAN WITH A GOOD RESUME.  NOBODY will tell me or give me any proof that a SIM coached team is more qualified than a GOOD human coach. Not a ****** human a GOOD human coach.  So once again nobody on any of these forums has proven why the hiring logic is OK for elite programs.  WHY? because nobody can because it's not.  I call bullshit.
 I didn't say anything about a Sim coach and in fact, had you actually bothered to read AND comprehend what I had written, you'd understand that I was saying that the OP's resume was the one "fully qualified" for any open D1 school.  Not a Sim coach.  The OP, genius.  You know, Rsvphr, the guy who started the thread.  The HUMAN coach.  Being able to read is cool, but being able to understand what is written is even better. 

So you're calling bullshit.  On what, exactly?  The fact that I AGREE that the HUMAN coach should be qualified for any open job?  Is that what you're calling bullshit on? 

Side note, jobs are running in Crum.  I have no intentions on leaving my D2 school, but being curious, checked what D1 jobs were available to me.  Loyalty is at an A+, Reputation is at an A+, so no issues there.  Last four seasons (oldest to most recent):  National Champion, Final Four, National Champion, first round exit but 28-2.  All of that barely (and I mean just barely) gets me a longshot for some of the bottom level C prestige jobs.  I'm qualified for almost all the C- jobs, and am qualified for all the D+ and below jobs, but I would think that a four year stretch like that would have some B and B+ prestige jobs available.  Alas, none to be had.  Wasn't moving anyway, but it's still a bit discouraging.

When I'm wrong I'm wrong. Sorry dcy, I am just sick of the SIM coached teams. I think I added some **** when reading that statement. I take no offense to people calling me out when I am wrong. Sorry dude
Appreciate it Terps, not many people on these forums will do what you just did.  And I'd like to apologize to you and the rest of the community for probably overreacting in the first place.  No harm, no foul.
12/21/2013 12:13 PM
Posted by wronoj on 12/17/2013 9:33:00 AM (view original):
I think these jobs should go to the best available human coach who applies, as long as some minimum threshold (different for different levels and baseline prestige) is met. For an A+ baseline job, there should certainly be significant requirements, but 600+ wins at a good % and a recent resume with 4 straight NTs (in the same conference) should be a good fit if there's nobody better to apply. 

that said, if they revamp the jobs logic, they'd also need to revamp firings, so that mediocrity wouldn't maintain a job at an elite. 
I totally agree with that.
12/21/2013 12:59 PM
Posted by MyGeneration on 12/18/2013 4:32:00 PM (view original):
Has anyone ever discussed capping the time someone can continuously play this game at the same school? Seems like there are lots of people who have camped out at schools for real-life-years, having fun and establishing mock-careers and faux-legacies and virtual-resumes -- but maybe another player ought to be able to place a quarter on the pinball machine at some point to claim next. The lack of a cap on dynasties (yeah, I get that that word is part of the game's title) compounds the problem discussed herein of SIM schools not accepting human players. I'm throwing out the additional question of whether it makes sense to let anyone hog a video game for years. I realize that there are other games in the arcade (other schools), but the Big 6 video games are different because of the advantages programmed into them that enhance the playing experience. Just thinking out loud.
With the exception of the super high baseline schools, there are openings for most schools in at least one of the worlds. I do think that at the elite baseline schools, firing should be more frequent, because those are the ones that rarely come open. 
12/21/2013 1:04 PM
◂ Prev 1234
Job logic: why HD is terminally ill Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.