Money for 6 'Ships? Topic

Posted by llamanunts on 12/27/2013 1:06:00 PM (view original):
I read the do you care thread.  Did you know how much recruiting cash you'd get or not?

I knew...u never really get how things play out unless u do them...and this just affirms the ****** double whammy that money for only 6 is.
12/27/2013 5:08 PM
Posted by tkimble on 12/27/2013 2:17:00 PM (view original):
The rule is you get money for every freshman you can bring in, not every player.
Again, thats a lot of help when I need 11 and if u saw the returning soph...arguably 12
12/27/2013 5:10 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by gillispie1 on 12/27/2013 3:38:00 PM (view original):
the funny thing is this whole ******* match is over one of the few areas in the game the vast majority of coaches agree. its one of a special group of very few changes where there is very little discontent... almost every coach who has ever played high d1 fully supports this restriction - although many feel it doesnt go far enough. 

colonels, theres clearly no way to convey the simple reasoning behind this rule to you, so just take comfort in knowing that if you ever manage to become a decent d1 coach, and get into battles for high end players with teams with mega millions behind them, you will understand why this rule is in place. hopefully that is sufficient, and if not, thats just too bad i guess, because thats about the only chance you have of ever understanding this situation...
Serious question, was there ever a time where there was a class limit but no limit on cash?  Meaning, were the class limit and money rules instituted together, because if they were, then you would have no reference point to what's going on/what I'm doing.

It's not about understanding the situation, it's about righting the wrong and coaches getting the "funds" they deserve...even if it's just half a portion for every open ship over 6, it's worthwhile and necessary.

12/27/2013 6:30 PM
initial post:

So as you know, I have 11 open 'ships at ASSU, and I'm just curious why there's a limit on scholly scratch for only 6 players?  Seems like a bit of an overkill to the superclass thing, but at least give me cash for 7-9 scholarships.  This just really doesn't make sense and it's arguably un(der)fair to those with 6+ ships to fill.

the answer that took the thread awry?

once upon a time, there was a tactic known as superclass which many regarded as unrealistic and bad for game play.

The 6 schollie limit on budget was designed to eliminate the incentive to set things up to have 10 or 11 openings, get big budget and distort recruiting

one could work it the other way, but WIS made that decision in the context of how the game was being played

merry christmas
12/27/2013 6:31 PM
I dont recall whether the dollar limitation and the limit on recruiting into a class came together - might be able to see from old dev chats.

I think - but am not sure - that the budget limit came first.   
12/27/2013 6:34 PM
As I said before...the second you said once upon a time...it was on.
12/27/2013 6:34 PM
So it turns out I'm being damned by a rule enacted on 12-9-05...Tark, Knight, and Phelan didn't even exist yet...Naismith was in season 14, and no mention of the elimination of the superclass.  It's time to talk, because this double whammy is bullshit.
12/27/2013 6:43 PM
All you mf's are grandstanding on nostalgia...figures...
12/27/2013 6:48 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 12/27/2013 6:34:00 PM (view original):
As I said before...the second you said once upon a time...it was on.
That's just sad, man.  You invented an insult where there wasn't one.  It's just a non-boring way to start the background post.
12/27/2013 7:31 PM
I haven't been playing the game as long as most of you guys, but I do regularly read the forums and this has been a wildly entertaining thread.  I'm not really sure how "once upon a time" came to be an insulting phrase, but I think you need to loosen up a bit colonels.  Every argument has two sides.  You are obviously deeply entrenched on your side, but others are simply presenting the other side of the argument--which is precisely what you asked for in the OP.  Nothing is going to be perfect, but WIS chose to enact a rule that prevented people from taking advantage of the system and gaining an unfair advantage.  Just like the laws we have in real life aren't always perfect either, but they are in place for the greater good of society.

As you have said, you knew what you were getting into.  Did you expect to bring the team to respectability in 1 season?  I would imagine you knew it would be a bit of a process, which is part of the fun for most of us.  You should be able to get some building blocks for a good team with the money you are given.  You will obviously be at a disadvantage talent-wise next season, but that is part of rebuilding.  As the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day."

12/27/2013 7:33 PM
The only one who even thinks it is a good change is you. Virtually everyone who has played this game for a long time, and played it well, doesn't desire the change, and for good reason. 

Suck it up. No rebuilding job from a severely damaged program is going to be done in one season's recruiting haul anyways, no matter the scholarship availability. 
12/27/2013 7:34 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 12/27/2013 5:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by llamanunts on 12/27/2013 1:06:00 PM (view original):
I read the do you care thread.  Did you know how much recruiting cash you'd get or not?

I knew...u never really get how things play out unless u do them...and this just affirms the ****** double whammy that money for only 6 is.
So you knew the money going in.  You knew the number of openings.  Hokay.

1. You chose this situation.

2. Maybe YOU never really get how things play out etc., but it's just, like, basic math.  It doesn't require prognostication.

3. The essence of your complaint is that it's going to take a few seasons to complete your rebuild.  Horrors.
12/27/2013 7:38 PM
Are you from MN?
12/27/2013 7:40 PM
You all are so out of touch and you're trying to tell me "how it is" and should be.  Take over a 10+ spot and get back to me...you'll realize it's trash.
12/27/2013 7:44 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Money for 6 'Ships? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.