Signing IFA's late in the Year Topic

See, you're wondering if his "clock" starts rolling from the time he begins playing games. I always assumed his clock is rolling no matter what.

12/30/2013 11:07 AM
Posted by damag on 12/30/2013 11:07:00 AM (view original):
See, you're wondering if his "clock" starts rolling from the time he begins playing games. I always assumed his clock is rolling no matter what.

Exactly. Wondering if the 4 years of development clock starts when he starts playing or when he signs .
12/30/2013 11:11 AM
Players don't develop their "skill" ratings if they're not playing.

And there's no "development clock", per se.  Development is a combination of many factors.  One factor is age,  Another factor is how far their current ratings are from their "true" projections.  Other factors include playing time, coaches, injuries, training budget, etc.
12/30/2013 11:19 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/30/2013 11:19:00 AM (view original):

And there's no "development clock", per se.  Development is a combination of many factors.  One factor is age,  Another factor is how far their current ratings are from their "true" projections.  Other factors include playing time, coaches, injuries, training budget, etc.
So basically it won't stunt his development if I start playing him now right? 
12/30/2013 12:10 PM
If it's a good player it doesn't matter. Play him as much as possible, to get the most development possible. It shouldn't matter how many options he has by the time he is ML material, because good ML players should remain in the majors once they are there. That guy will probably be ready to stick in the majors by the time he's 22.
12/30/2013 12:31 PM
Posted by dedelman on 12/30/2013 11:07:00 AM (view original):
If dherz is right, then you should inactivate ALL your prospects, except those signed VERY early in the season, because half, or even a third, of your top season of development is MUCH more ratings gain then you could possibly lose at the end of team control until about the age of 36. 

That said, my understanding of development is different from both dherz and damag.  I had always thought that nearly all development occurs in the first 4 seasons after signing, not after the onset of play. I'm sure damag is wrong-- players drafted out of college at 22 often develop fairly briskly until age 25 or even 26-- but I'm not confident that I'm right and dherz is wrong.
No, you shouldn't even sign your draftees until the minor league season is over.    Allows you to hold out for big $$$ IFA AND give your early picks an "extra" year.    Much like the theory of playing positiion players at the toughest positions to ensure full fielding development, that would be a huge design flaw in the game.   Not buying it.
12/30/2013 12:35 PM
Posted by bglick on 12/30/2013 12:10:00 PM (view original):

No.  Development is never stunted by playing time,
12/30/2013 12:53 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/30/2013 12:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bglick on 12/30/2013 12:10:00 PM (view original):

No.  Development is never stunted by playing time,
Wait what? I thought playing time was a huge factor in development?
12/30/2013 1:05 PM
It is - but development is never stunted by playing time.

It could be stunted by a lack of playing time...
12/30/2013 1:13 PM
Yeah, didn't know that I needed to be that explicit.
12/30/2013 2:27 PM
The way you worded it was confusing, but nvm. Thanks anyways. I guess I'll just go start playing the prospect now. 
12/30/2013 2:31 PM
I have an IFA on my Vancouver team who I signed late  and did not get in a game last season. I signed him to an ML contract at 327k. This season I would like to have used him as trade bait but I can't. I'm assuming since he didn't get in a game last season. Not that we want to trade prospects but I will continue to try to get mine into games even if late just so I at least have that option.
12/31/2013 9:46 AM
Posted by jibe on 12/31/2013 9:46:00 AM (view original):
I have an IFA on my Vancouver team who I signed late  and did not get in a game last season. I signed him to an ML contract at 327k. This season I would like to have used him as trade bait but I can't. I'm assuming since he didn't get in a game last season. Not that we want to trade prospects but I will continue to try to get mine into games even if late just so I at least have that option.
You are correct as to the reason why you can't trade him-- I got that response in a ticket I sent once.
12/31/2013 10:21 AM
◂ Prev 12
Signing IFA's late in the Year Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.