rpi 34 no ticket to the dance Topic

Amazingly enough, WVU made it over him. They were 15-12, with a mid 60s RPI, and had lost 6 games in a row, including a loss in the first round of the CT. They were also the 10th BE team to make it into the dance. Crazy. MD got screwed.
12/30/2013 4:35 PM
ACC is the weakest BCS conf in Wooden. WVU should be in with their schedule and 3 wins against top 15 rpi opponents. But Maryland should have made it over teams like Boston College (http://whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=3252)

12/30/2013 5:14 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 12/30/2013 1:21:00 AM (view original):
RPI need not match the projection report. The projection report need not match RPI. RPI being deemphasized as a measure is, in general, a GOOD thing, not bad. RPI is way, way, WAY too easy to game.

I'm not sure I get what you are saying, wiz. Are you saying losing those three games is a case FOR being in? That makes no sense to me, so I suspect its not what you are saying.

Just saying that those 3 losses don't count vs the Top 50 RPI and Top 100 RPI, which is one of the criteria for getting into the tourney. Instead of having 9 losses vs. the Top 100 RPI, he has just 6 losses, if that makes any sense.

The RPI system isn't perfect, however It's not an issue with RPI or the criteria for getting in, but WIS' formula for making the tournament.

I apologize for not making myself clear, mostly due to lack of sleep.

12/30/2013 10:28 PM (edited)
The RPI system isn't just "not perfect", it's downright bad and incredibly easy to manipulate (and make no mistake, those are two separate problems it brings to the table).

WIS's formula for making the NT is not perfect, but it's a clear improvement from the RPI-driven formula it had used previously.

12/31/2013 7:24 AM
i totally agree, the projection report crushes rpi in terms of predicting quality of teams
12/31/2013 11:47 AM
of course, there is also Dick Vitale's list of the 75 teams that deserved to be in the tournament...
12/31/2013 12:50 PM
Posted by mamxet on 12/31/2013 12:50:00 PM (view original):
of course, there is also Dick Vitale's list of the 75 teams that deserved to be in the tournament...
lofl
12/31/2013 2:20 PM
I remember one year, the University of Miami of Ohio had an RPI in the mid 20s and didn't get into the tourney and this was in real life. Pretty much the RPI is a starting tool to work with, but it's almost to the point of embarrassment one would come up with a formula that tends to be so far off.
12/31/2013 3:33 PM
◂ Prev 12
rpi 34 no ticket to the dance Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.