How to construct an offense??? Topic

Actually slightly chilled merlot is a nice summer wine. Otherwise nothing to write home about. 
1/14/2014 6:55 PM
Posted by italyprof on 1/14/2014 6:55:00 PM (view original):
Actually slightly chilled merlot is a nice summer wine. Otherwise nothing to write home about. 
Really?  Ever had Masseto?  Or Chateau Petrus?  I could also mention a lot of blends (Cheval Blanc, Ausone, Figeac ...).
1/15/2014 12:14 AM
I've found Mad Dog 20/20 has quite a unique taste.....
1/15/2014 8:08 AM
Posted by bottomlee on 1/15/2014 8:08:00 AM (view original):
I've found Mad Dog 20/20 has quite a unique taste.....
Wow.  That just took me back about 15-20 years to when I was in high school.  Unique is certainly 1 way to describe it
1/15/2014 8:27 AM
Speaking of the 05 Sam Crawford, what spot in the lineup did you use him?.... I dont see him as an everyday #3 or #4 hitter..... I would use him as a #2 or a #6 guy.  Did he face a boat load of solid lefties?  I know the sim does not use the normal splits but gives a 5% bonus going to the hitter, right? To me this matters and I usually incorporate my lineup accordingly.  I am not saying that if you do this Crawford would have hit .300 but he may have hit a bit higher if he faced more RHP. My guess is that its good to have a team that can beat both solid RHP and solid LHP... with RHP a little more emphasis.
1/17/2014 12:46 PM (edited)
That's why the biggest cookies are switch-hitters.
1/17/2014 1:41 PM
I am sure its been done many times before but I wonder how a team with 7 or 8 switch hitters would perform? Who here has won championships with 7 or 8 switch hitters?  For me, and I know its not true, but I always have the idea that a switch hitter will perform better against a RHP than a LHP. 
1/17/2014 2:22 PM
Posted by chisox378 on 1/17/2014 2:22:00 PM (view original):
I am sure its been done many times before but I wonder how a team with 7 or 8 switch hitters would perform? Who here has won championships with 7 or 8 switch hitters?  For me, and I know its not true, but I always have the idea that a switch hitter will perform better against a RHP than a LHP. 
Many people have won with 7 or 8 switch hitters including myself.
1/18/2014 11:58 PM
Two things that I have always seen help a "newbie"...

You are right, even though most players play what you would expect there are some players who either do at or way above their line and some players who stink and there is no reason for it.  That is why you should consider the performance history when choosing a player.  That will tell you if a guy is usually a dud.

Its amazing how many players in an open league basically never consider their AAA when creating their team.  They are basically giving you at least $10M for free.   I almost always get 100+ IP and 500+ PA from my AAA.

1/19/2014 8:02 PM
Posted by seels on 1/19/2014 8:02:00 PM (view original):
Two things that I have always seen help a "newbie"...

You are right, even though most players play what you would expect there are some players who either do at or way above their line and some players who stink and there is no reason for it.  That is why you should consider the performance history when choosing a player.  That will tell you if a guy is usually a dud.

Its amazing how many players in an open league basically never consider their AAA when creating their team.  They are basically giving you at least $10M for free.   I almost always get 100+ IP and 500+ PA from my AAA.

Since when do you get $10 mil in value from AAA players?????????????  The AAA players assigned to you in OLs are crapshoots, at best.  On average, you may (or may not) get a couple of useable players, and the pitchers are generally crap, which is why I NEVER depend on the quality of AAA players I MIGHT be assigned when constructing my teams.
1/21/2014 8:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The rookies in OL allow u to draft the minimum PA and IP without worrying about fatigue issues (if u choose a pitchers park).
1/21/2014 9:37 PM
Well, true, but the "R" value in an OL is a 200K scrub, so any AAA player will be above that.  The real issue is whether you can rely on AAA players to fill a starting role, and the answer is almost always no.  But every once in a while you hit the jackpot.  I occasionally will draft only 300PA or so at one position (usually 1B or OF) and hope that I get something in AAA that will suffice in a platoon arrangement, but it's definitely a gamble.

1/21/2014 9:38 PM
I think it's likely that at least 2 of the AAA position players would be good enough to platoon at 1B.
1/21/2014 9:50 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
How to construct an offense??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.