Playoffs - Super Bowl Topic

Terrible running into the kicker call. He hit the plant leg, which is automatically 15 yards. How does an official miss that?
1/19/2014 9:06 PM
Got it right

Broncos
Jtpsops
nukelaloosh
examinerebb
trsnoke
moranis
MikeT23
stinenavy
seamar_116
burnsy483
steelers821
1/20/2014 8:18 AM
Right

Seahawks
nukelaloosh
examinerebb
trsnoke
The Taint
stinenavy
kcden
seamar_116
burnsy483
steelers821
1/20/2014 8:18 AM
Early on going with Broncos, though I might change as we get closer to the Superbowl.
1/20/2014 10:11 AM
Yeah, I don't see any point in picking yet.    Gotta see who gets well, who gets arrested and the expected weather.
1/20/2014 10:20 AM
first line out had seahawks -1, wiseguy money moved it broncs-3 within 5 hours.

get it now, broncos will be 6-7 point favourite by supe sunday
1/20/2014 11:19 AM
Who you got?
Votes: 22
(Last vote received: 2/3/2014 10:01 PM)
1/27/2014 11:53 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/19/2014 9:06:00 PM (view original):
Terrible running into the kicker call. He hit the plant leg, which is automatically 15 yards. How does an official miss that?
I think it was roughing also (and I'm a Seahawks fan).  However, it is not "automatic" just because it's the plant leg, although that is normally the litmus for whether it qualifies or not.  I believe it also has something to do with whether or not the kicker has a part in moving the plant leg that direction (either on purpose or by accident).  That said, I would have called roughing.
1/28/2014 6:39 AM
How exactly does one move his plant leg into the line of a rusher? Hop? And no one is going to do that to draw a penalty when there's serious pentential for a blown out knee or snapped ankle.

1/28/2014 12:28 PM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 1/6/2014 11:44:00 AM (view original):
Pats, Chargers, Saints, 49ers

I can't stand Pete Carroll and his jorts wearing, rollerblading douchery.

NFL players must love Jorts and roller blading.

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll seemed a little stunned when told he was the clear winner in ESPN.com's NFL Nation Confidential question: "Which head coach would you most like to play for?"

He also quickly saw an advantage to it.

"I'm surprised by that," said Carroll, who received 23 percent of the votes in an anonymous survey. "But, hey, free agency is a big deal to us. Maybe that can help us down the road."

NFL Nation reporters surveyed more than 320 players on a wide range of questions over a six-week period in November and December. Carroll was the most popular coaching choice with 72 votes. Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin finished second with 44 votes (14 percent).

Carroll is seen as the ultimate players' coach, but some might say he won the vote because he's viewed as being soft on players.

Seahawks linebacker and team captain Heath Farwell said that perception isn't true. Farwell said Carroll is respected by players because of his clear teaching methods and his positive-reinforcement approach to coaching.

"If you make a mistake, he uses that as a teachable moment," Farwell said. "Pete explains what you did wrong and how you can correct. If you do something wrong, he will say that's not acceptable by the organization and explain why.

"We all make mistakes, but with Pete, it's about learning from it. He's not a talk-down-to-you or yell-at-you kind of coach."

Carroll gets a little agitated when people assume he's some type of new-age guru who walks around practice every day chanting peace and love. But he's never had the old-school, drill-sergeant approach to coaching.

"It's something that I think I've always done naturally, in respect to the players," Carroll said. "There are plenty of ways to adjust their play or be critical without doing it in the public eye.

"But we're open around here. We're honest enough and straightforward enough that we can talk right to our guys about any issue in front of the rest of the team."

Farwell said Carroll makes playing the game fun, but it isn't a party. The Seahawks didn't become Super Bowl contenders this season by goofing off.

"We practice hard on every play and we work as hard as any team, or harder," Farwell said. "But it's a fun team to play on because Pete's always so positive. He's the biggest cheerleader on the sidelines. He coaches with passion, and that's why guys play hard for him."

Carroll has no intention of emphasizing what a player does wrong.

"We don't feel like we benefit from that," he said. "We want to tell them the best thing we can tell them as quickly as we can. It isn't necessary to scream at them or yell at them. There are other ways to do it.

"The principle of it is we want to tell them, as soon as possible, exactly what they need to do to get it right. It's more about the correction than whatever the result was."

Carroll said he appreciates the vote from the players, but the message to any player is a goal of excellence.

"We're doing it with standards and expectations that are as high as you can get," he said. "I'm glad we've found a way to do it that guys appreciate it."
1/28/2014 10:36 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/28/2014 12:28:00 PM (view original):
How exactly does one move his plant leg into the line of a rusher? Hop? And no one is going to do that to draw a penalty when there's serious pentential for a blown out knee or snapped ankle.

I don't know the particulars of it, but I have heard it explained this way before - not around the water cooler, but on some sports show.  I'm certainly not an expert, and like I said, it looked like roughing to me. 

Was it a game changer?  It might have been, but the at the time of the game of the game the Seahawks' defense was pretty stout.  The refs didn't have a great game, but I think that was the only call that may have had an impact - from an admittedly biased point of view.
1/29/2014 9:58 PM
This is the first time I can remember going into a Super Bowl and not being able to immediately pick a winner.  What scares me about Denver is that Peyton thrives at looking at what the defense is trying to do, then calling out a play to exploit what he sees.  He's the smartest quarterback in the game today.  That said, Seattle doesn't hide anything; they play one of the simplest defenses in the game.  And their secondary is still ridiculous.  Peyton won't be able to exploit this defense the way he does most others.  I'm taking Seattle in a close one.
1/30/2014 2:34 PM
Seahawks
tecwrg
nukelaloosh
examinerebb
The Taint
05nomar05
juskay
kcden
seamar_116
pillsbury
burnsy483
silentpadna
pyt100
2/3/2014 8:40 AM
Looks like the Mt Rushmore of correct picks was

examinerebb
burnsy483
MikeT23
nukelaloosh

Others came close, but those 4 had the most correct....you win nothing
2/3/2014 3:05 PM
◂ Prev 12345
Playoffs - Super Bowl Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.