Advice for Newbies Topic

Wait...you're saying they're the original active server pages and not the asp.net pages that essentially incorporated/deprecated the technology like 14 years ago?!?! 

4/24/2015 9:25 PM
Posted by ojo on 4/24/2015 9:25:00 PM (view original):
Wait...you're saying they're the original active server pages and not the asp.net pages that essentially incorporated/deprecated the technology like 14 years ago?!?! 

There's a reason the latest update is taking so long... they're recoding from scratch, because ASP sucks.
4/24/2015 11:08 PM
ASP doesn't suck. It's just deprecated. 

I mean, first generation MP3 was an abomination to people who have quality audio equipment. Subsequent MP3s have been less abominable. 

And Home Run Kelly led the league with HRs once or twice with what...14 HR? 

ASP is old, but let's not say that the subsequent .Net applications that came afterwards suck, because they do a lot of industry-standard implementations across the internet, and essentially keep business moving.

BTW, I'm a .Net developer, and I even abandoned the MS platform at home and converted everything to Mac.

4/25/2015 11:27 AM
Posted by ojo on 4/25/2015 11:27:00 AM (view original):
ASP doesn't suck. It's just deprecated. 

I mean, first generation MP3 was an abomination to people who have quality audio equipment. Subsequent MP3s have been less abominable. 

And Home Run Kelly led the league with HRs once or twice with what...14 HR? 

ASP is old, but let's not say that the subsequent .Net applications that came afterwards suck, because they do a lot of industry-standard implementations across the internet, and essentially keep business moving.

BTW, I'm a .Net developer, and I even abandoned the MS platform at home and converted everything to Mac.

Eh, to-may-to, to-mah-to.

Either way, they're recoding.
6/1/2015 8:04 PM
I prefer lefty 2Bs
6/1/2015 9:27 PM
I have a question. Does anyone know if the sim randomly alters players' underlying probabilities?? in other words, if I draft the same player 10 times, are the differences in his performance completely due to random chance and the situation he is playing in or is it possible for me to get a "good" or "bad" version of the same player with better underlying stats driving the sim?
6/6/2016 3:12 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Is there anyway to get this thread pinned to the top of the 1st page?
6/7/2016 10:31 AM
This last post is great info. I have a question about #7: "Not all A+ arms are created equal…look for guys with very high real-life CS%."

'48-'52 Campanella led the NL in CS% but his WIS numbers are no where near that:

Real Life CS%: WIS Arm & CS%:
1948 - 66.7% | A 34% (based on SLB avg historical use)
1949 - 58.5% | C 22%
1950 - 62.5% | B 27%
1951 - 69.4% | B+ 28%
1952 - 64.7% | B+ 29%

Any ideas on why the discrepancy b/t real life CS% and sim CS%?
6/19/2017 1:29 PM
"All of the things d_rock97 describes as to why your player's performance may vary from one season to the next are correct, but his first sentence is misleading. It is NOT possible to get a "good" or "bad" version of a player. The underlying stats used to generate your player's results are exactly the same every time you draft him. So there is no such thing as a "good" or "bad" version."

I don't want any of my questions to be misinterpreted as an attack on contrarian23. I am just trying to learn as much as I can from his incredibly helpful posts here.

I also have a question about the quote above: How is it known with certainty that there is no good or bad version of a player? It certainly seems like there are instances in which there must be "drag" or "balloon" effect applied to a player. I'm sure we have all had instances when a favorite player performs exceptionally well and other instances he stinks, despite using the same home ballpark. Meanwhile in the season in which he is stinking it up, you have another guy blowing a hole through his normalized stats. If ballparks and average opposing pitching are such as to significantly dampen one guy's stats, why do other similar players excel in those same conditions?

I would love to be able to set up leagues with the exact same teams used for several seasons and compare the player performances to see just how much variation there is in final stats, home, road, and combined. Do we know if anyone has ever done this?
6/19/2017 1:57 PM (edited)
A player doing well for you one season and not well the next, even in the same ballpark, is well within the completely normal curve of simulated probabilities described by contrarian. And just because one player is underperforming yet another player on the same team is over-performing does not mean anything has been done to those individual players' underlying stats. Ballpark alone does not dictate performance equally for all players. The "right" park does not mean ALL your players will over-perform in the same way that the "wrong" park does not mean all your players will underperform. There are way too many variables in this game to account for them all and to say with any real accuracy the exact effect that each has on a player's performance overall, because EACH variable's effect has its own bell-curve shaped model of possible outcomes, but the bottom line is always going to be the same: random variation based on calculated outcomes determined by statistical probabilities can potentially reach the extremes in BOTH directions; good and bad.

There have been leagues where owners entered two identical teams and played in identical ballparks. I've played a few myself. Each time there is a lot of variation in player performance, even though everything is supposedly "equal". It's just random variation at work.
6/19/2017 2:21 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by jmcraven74 on 6/19/2017 1:30:00 PM (view original):
This last post is great info. I have a question about #7: "Not all A+ arms are created equal…look for guys with very high real-life CS%."

'48-'52 Campanella led the NL in CS% but his WIS numbers are no where near that:

Real Life CS%: WIS Arm & CS%:
1948 - 66.7% | A 34% (based on SLB avg historical use)
1949 - 58.5% | C 22%
1950 - 62.5% | B 27%
1951 - 69.4% | B+ 28%
1952 - 64.7% | B+ 29%

Any ideas on why the discrepancy b/t real life CS% and sim CS%?
The National League did not keep CS as an 'official statistic' between about 1920- something and 1950-something (not trying to be vague I just don't remember the exact dates) so some time ago WIS 'derived' some CS numbers for catchers and runners. This issue also impacts earlier players as well. This is one of the reasons so many old time players Like Cobb, Jennings, etc. have such odd looking SB/CS numbers they aren't 'actual' statistics they are also 'derived.' It is possible that since the time WIS did that there has been further research that has come up with actual numbers but a quick look at BBREF indicates they still don't have totals on CS for the team for the year. I seem to sort of recall that maybe one newspaper tracked them or something like that so it is possible that is where BBREF got the Campanella stats.
6/19/2017 2:28 PM
Thank you guys for the input, but to go back to a question I asked that I don't think was addressed- how do we know to a certainty that no drag or balloon effects are applied to a player?

For example, many "battle" games apply a +/- 5% randomization to a units base statistics in matchups, has WIS ever said they do not this?
6/19/2017 2:58 PM
Posted by jmcraven74 on 6/19/2017 2:58:00 PM (view original):
Thank you guys for the input, but to go back to a question I asked that I don't think was addressed- how do we know to a certainty that no drag or balloon effects are applied to a player?

For example, many "battle" games apply a +/- 5% randomization to a units base statistics in matchups, has WIS ever said they do not this?
They have said they do not do this for multiple games. They have never commented on an individual game.

However, it seems likely that over 162 games, all those individual game adjustments should come close enough to canceling out that we don't need to worry about them much.
6/19/2017 3:22 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
Advice for Newbies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.