Advice for Newbies Topic

See page 6 of this thread
12/15/2022 4:05 PM
You will occasionally hear it said that you cannot win an open league with a team build around home runs. This is not true. One example: this team just won an OL World Series:
C: 1938 Rudy York
1B: 1937 Dolph Camilli
2B: 1948 Joe Gordon
3B: 1986 Mike Schmidt
SS: 2007 Hanley Ramirez
LF: 1953 Ralph Kiner
CF: 1970 Paul Blair
RF: 1985 Mike Young

Everyone of those players hit 29+ HR in real life, except for Blair who was drafted mostly for his defense. Though Blair still had 18 HR.
The offense finished second in the league with 178 HR, won their division, and went 11-4 in the postseason.

There are many ways to win in open leagues. Even without Ketel Marte.
3/5/2023 1:41 PM
I think I really messed up. This is the team I just drafted...season has not yet started. Is there any way I can salvage?

Pitching Staff (edit)

3/5/2023 3:03 PM
What do the % numbers in green blue or red mean for the pitchers? For example 56/61 in red?
3/13/2023 3:56 PM
Posted by fanch21 on 3/13/2023 3:56:00 PM (view original):
What do the % numbers in green blue or red mean for the pitchers? For example 56/61 in red?
1st number is their current fatigue level 2nd number is their fatigue level after 1 more game (assuming they don't pitch) That fella is tired! In theory the colors line up with the severity of the fatigue
3/13/2023 4:24 PM
Thanks! But how long should it take to bring a player back to 'full strength'? I've been resting two pitchers for 5 days (real time) and they are still in the red. Both are inexpensive pitchers who started 1 game pitching very few innings.
3/15/2023 10:53 AM
Hello. I’m a fairly competent hockey sim player. But my wife is Cuban and did bring baseball into my life. I would love to know how to play this one. What I have to do to play at 50% level ? thanks. I will hung up and wait.
3/15/2023 4:01 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 2/11/2022 6:47:00 AM (view original):
  1. Game Mechanics
    1. Roster Building. You have $80M to spend on a 25 man roster, with a few requirements. You must have at least 12 position players, including at least one person at each of the 8 fielding positions. You also must have at least 4800 real-life plate appearances. You must draft at least 6 pitchers, and they must total at least 1200 real-life innings pitched. That’s basically it. In principle this is a very simple game to play.
    2. Available players. The database includes every major league player from 1885 to the present who had at least 50AB, or at least 25 IP, during the actual season. You can even use clones (multiple versions of the same player, such as the 1983 and 1984 versions of Tim Raines). Note that WIS will never let you have two of the same player-season on your roster (such as two 1983 Raines) under any circumstances. If the player’s team played fewer than 162 games, then the player’s stats will be prorated to a 162-game season. However, with one exception (see 2020, below), the required minimums are NOT prorated. So even in those short 19th century seasons, or 1981, or 1994, etc., the 50AB/25IP minimums still apply. There are a couple of quirks to note:
      1. Multi-team players. Players who played for more than 1 team during that season will have multiple versions in the data base. They will have “partial” seasons reflecting how much they actually played for each team (provided they accumulated at least 50AB or 25IP for that team) and they will have “combined” seasons where their total stats for the season are available from each team they played for. Take 1979 Champ Summers, who played for both Detroit and Cincinnati. There are 4 versions of him in the database: one reflecting just his performance with Detroit, one reflecting just his performance with Cincinnati, and two (one for each team) reflecting his overall performance. Note that the 2 versions reflecting his overall performance do not look (or cost) the same. That’s because the two teams are in different leagues, and so his normalized stats (explained below) are different.
      2. Players who both pitched and played the field. There are occasionally guys who both pitched and played the field during the same season. Such players only appear in the WIS database as one or the other (even if they exceeded both the PA and IP minimums), depending on where they played more games. Shohei Ohtani, for example, is only available as a position player in 2021.
      3. 2020. The pandemic shortened season presented a real problem for WIS. With only 60 major league games, many fewer players reached the required 50AB/25IP minimums. For this season only, WIS prorated the minimum requirements.
    3. Player Salaries. Each player in the database has an associated salary that is a function of three things: quantity (number of PA or IP he accumulated), quality (of his overall normalized offensive and defensive performance), and – for all players from 2016 or earlier – a market-based set of adjustments that were implemented for a brief period in 2016-17. This short-lived experiment by WIS attempted to calibrate salaries based on how often players were drafted. Players who were used a lot saw their salaries increase; players who were rarely used saw their salaries decrease. While perhaps a good idea in theory, the implementation of this experiment was very flawed, and the effort was discontinued.
Thank you I’ve to try it
3/15/2023 4:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8
Advice for Newbies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.