ESPN HOF ballot revealed. Topic

This just in, all the ESPN writer's with a HOF vote released their ballot today.  I must say I'm pretty pleased with the results, although, I contend Piazza and Bagwell should be elected with this class.  Maybe next year...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10231471/craig-biggio-tom-glavine-greg-maddux-frank-thomas-elected-espn-2014-baseball-hall-fame-ballot
1/6/2014 12:24 PM
I'm surprised the ballot wasn't completely filled with just Yankees and RedSox.
1/6/2014 12:42 PM
Pedro Gomez. What a joke. McGriff but not Bagwell or Martinez. Morris but not Schilling or Mussina. It's like he's using his HOF vote to troll people who actually understand baseball.
1/6/2014 12:51 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/6/2014 12:51:00 PM (view original):
Pedro Gomez. What a joke. McGriff but not Bagwell or Martinez. Morris but not Schilling or Mussina. It's like he's using his HOF vote to troll people who actually understand baseball.
u are the only person in the mlb forums who confuses himself as someone who actually understands baseball. u don't, and your absent-minded posts constantly prove that point. your arguments are only indicative of your personality, and that u are entirely incapable of even making guesses at a success rate of 50/50. u can't even make successful guesses at a 10% success rate.
1/6/2014 1:27 PM (edited)
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune said today on MLB Network Radio that the Hall of Fame balloting is becoming "strident" and that there are people who insist if you don't vote for their guys you are an idiot. (Idiot was his word, paraphrasing the rest.)
1/6/2014 1:25 PM
Posted by masterdebate on 1/6/2014 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune said today on MLB Network Radio that the Hall of Fame balloting is becoming "strident" and that there are people who insist if you don't vote for their guys you are an idiot. (Idiot was his word, paraphrasing the rest.)
It's not a my guy/their guy situation.

Mike Mussina was significantly better than Jack Morris. That really isn't debatable. If someone thinks that both are Hall of Famers, fine. Including Morris makes for a very big Hall, but to each their own.

Conversely, excluding both makes for a very small Hall, but OK.

But voting for Morris and not Mussina is pure stupidity.
1/6/2014 1:55 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/6/2014 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by masterdebate on 1/6/2014 1:25:00 PM (view original):
It's not a my guy/their guy situation.

Mike Mussina was significantly better than Jack Morris. That really isn't debatable. If someone thinks that both are Hall of Famers, fine. Including Morris makes for a very big Hall, but to each their own.

Conversely, excluding both makes for a very small Hall, but OK.

But voting for Morris and not Mussina is pure stupidity.
this is exactly what he was talking about. "but voting for x and not for y is pure stupidity"
1/6/2014 3:12 PM
I heard the clip. He was saying that, for example, people say "anyone who doesn't vote for Mussina is an idiot." It's perfectly reasonable to think that Mussina isn't a Hall of Famer. But it isn't reasonable to think that Morris was and Mussina wasn't.
1/6/2014 3:44 PM
He was saying if you say "if you don't vote for my guy you're an idiot" was strident. Just noise, meaning nothing. The Tigers reporter on after him had an interesting take on Morris. He wasn't voting for Morris, but offered that some may be voting for him based on the 91 Series game he threw vs Smoltz and that he won two World Series in his career, whereas Mussina is missing that from his resume. I don't think that's enough to push Morris over the hump myself, but I would hesitate to call people idiots who do believe that.
1/6/2014 4:03 PM
I won't hesitate to say that anyone who deems Morris worthy but not Mussina is an idiot and should not be voting for the hall of fame.

Also, Gomez once voted for Jay Bell.
1/6/2014 4:10 PM
Why did he vote for Bell? Unless we know his motives we shouldn't ascribe qualities like that.

1/6/2014 4:27 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/6/2014 3:44:00 PM (view original):
I heard the clip. He was saying that, for example, people say "anyone who doesn't vote for Mussina is an idiot." It's perfectly reasonable to think that Mussina isn't a Hall of Famer. But it isn't reasonable to think that Morris was and Mussina wasn't.

"Isn't reasonable" . . . according to you?

Are you the ultimate arbiter of the relative merits of any two candidates?

Your arrogance when it comes to baseball discussions is a joke.

1/6/2014 5:44 PM
Only baseball discussions?
1/6/2014 5:52 PM
Well, this particular forum is baseball.
1/6/2014 6:11 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/6/2014 5:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/6/2014 3:44:00 PM (view original):

"Isn't reasonable" . . . according to you?

Are you the ultimate arbiter of the relative merits of any two candidates?

Your arrogance when it comes to baseball discussions is a joke.

Common sense?

Pitcher A is better than Pitcher B by just about any stat you can come up with. ERA, WHIP, ERA+, strikeouts, Wins, WAR...and on and on.

I think it's reasonable to say either both A & B are Hall of Famers or both A and B aren't Hall of Famers. But it isn't reasonable to say B is but A isn't.

But, you know, god forbid anyone state their opinion on a message board.
1/6/2014 6:19 PM
1|2|3...34 Next ▸
ESPN HOF ballot revealed. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.