December 31, 2008: Auburn hires Gene Chizik as head coach. No scandals yet!

May 30, 2009: Auburn's Big Cat Weekend recruiting event leads to self-reported NCAA violations and assistant Trooper Taylor being taken off the recruiting trail for several months.

December 31, 2009: Cam Newton commits to Auburn. For the nine months prior to his commitment, Newton was being "represented" by former Mississippi State player Kenny Rogers and his dad, Cecil Newton. Cecil Newton had approached Mississippi State about a cash payment to secure Cam Newton's commitment in November 2009. That offer was rebuffed. Newton chose Auburn.

April 28, 2010: Impermissible contact between coaches and recruits at Auburn's Tiger Prowl event leads to self-reported violations and Taylor and Tommy Thigpen being barred by Auburn from recruiting for 45 days. Tiger Prowl is the one with the stretch Hummers and limos and so forth.

April 30, 2010: The NCAA bans events like Tiger Prowl.

October 5, 2010: The NCAA notifies Auburn that it is opening a probe into pay-for-play allegations regarding the recruitment of Cam Newton. Auburn told investigators that it had no contact with Rogers during Newton's recruitment.

November 9, 2010: Gene Chizik calls the Cam Newton allegations "garbage," inadvertently channeling Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy. Scandal-plagued Auburn assistants Taylor and Curtis Luper had previously been on Gundy's coaching staff. This is an amusing coincidence.

November 30, 2010: The NCAA declares Cam Newton ineligible for violating amateurism rules.

December 1, 2010: The NCAA reverses course, stating that there is no evidence that Newton knew of his dad's pursuit of payments, and reinstates Newton for the upcoming SEC Championship Game against South Carolina.

December 2010: According to Roberts' report, Auburn changed the grades of up to nine players to make them eligible for the national championship game against Oregon. The list included running back Michael Dyer, who reportedly had a failing grade changed just days before running for 143 yards in Auburn's national championship game victory. Dyer left the program one year later after an undisclosed violation of team rules. McNeil claimed he also received a falsified grade.

2010 offseason: Wide receiver Darvin Adams says he was offered "several thousand dollars" by Auburn coaches to forego the NFL Draft and return for his senior season. When he turned down the bribe, Adams says he was blackballed by the Auburn coaching staff. He went undrafted and landed in the Canadian Football League.

February 16, 2011: The NCAA heads to Thibodaux, Louisiana to question Auburn recruit Greg Robinson and company after a report by Fox Sports' Thayer Evans on Taylor's recruiting success in the area, a story in which Taylor denies paying players.

March 10, 2011: Four Auburn football players -- McNeil, Dakota Mosley, Shaun Kitchens and Antonio Goodwin -- are arrested for armed robbery. The Roberts report claims that the players were initially held by police while they waited for Auburn football coaches to pick them up for "a college prank gone wrong." Later that afternoon, they were arraigned and kicked off the football team.

March 30, 2011: On HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, four former Auburn football players -- Stanley McClover, Troy Reddick, Chaz Ramsey and Raven Gray -- told Gumbel that they had received cash to play for the Tigers. All four players predated Chizik's appointment as head coach, though McClover and Reddick were at Auburn while Chizik was defensive coordinator. Again, Chizik called the allegations "pure garbage." Multiple other contemporary and previous Auburn players denied the show's claims, particularly McClover's.

April 14, 2011: The NCAA is still investigating Tiger Prowl, Jon Solomon reports.

October 12, 2011: The NCAA ends the Newton investigation, finding insufficient evidence against Auburn and the quarterback.

August 13, 2012: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Michael Carvell reports five-star Auburn commit Reuben Foster met with the NCAA about his transfer to Auburn High School, but it later comes out that his mother meant Foster met with Alabama's high school association.

August 17, 2012: Auburn signee Jovon Robinson, a running back out of Wooddale High School in Memphis, Tenn., is ruled ineligible after an NCAA investigation found that his high school grades had been changed without proper approval. A guidance counselor at his high school admitted to falsifying the grade report and resigned.

October 2012: The NCAA launches an investigation of Taylor, the wide receivers coach and Luper, the running backs coach/recruiting coordinator. Taylor and Luper are removed from their recruiting assignments.

October 30, 2012: When asked if Taylor and Luper were no longer recruiting, Chizik tells reporters: "That has nothing to do with us winning. Whoever said that has nothing to do with anything, so I am not getting into any of that stuff. I've got one track, and that is our players and our coaches, and trying to get us to the next win, so, all of that stuff, I have no comment on that."

November 21, 2012: Yahoo!'s Pat Forde reports that the NCAA is looking into "improprieties" involving Auburn recruiters and third parties, specifically officials at Wooddale High School providing benefits to Auburn recruits. Forde reports that, in addition to the Robinson allegations, a physical education teacher who was an Auburn alumnus and fan provided rides and other impermissible benefits to Robinson.

November 25, 2012: Gene Chizik is fired by Auburn.

10/15/2014 10:53 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/15/2014 8:11:00 AM (view original):
Fired in 2007.   Hired in 2009.    Shapiro scandal during his tenure.

But, yeah, I can see Chizik being viewed as the third wheel on the championship bicycle.
Coker was fired in December 2006.  He interviewed for the Rice job in January 2007 and lost out to David Bailiff (who was the coach of Texas State, a D1-AA school at the time).
10/15/2014 12:57 PM
End of 2006, beginning of 2007.   OK, you got me. 

Missed 2 seasons either way.   Just like Chizik has done.  Which was the point.
10/15/2014 2:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/15/2014 9:17:00 AM (view original):
BTW, Vegas took ND/FSU off the board.   Doesn't necessarily mean they know something but that seems odd at this point in time. 
What was the line when it came off the board?
10/16/2014 2:19 AM
11 1/2

10/16/2014 7:29 AM
Jimbo interviewed on ESPN a few moments ago.   Didn't even sound like a guy who believed what he was saying.
10/17/2014 9:30 AM
that's because he is a douchebag
10/18/2014 2:25 AM
Declared for the draft.

#1 pick by Tampa?
1/8/2015 9:13 AM
No way on Earth he gets picked before Mariota. His physical measurements may be "better", but his on the field performance doesn't come close, and then there might have been an off the field moment or two that worry people. He's actually done nothing but drive his Draft stock down over the last year; too bad (for him) he couldn't come out last Draft.
1/8/2015 10:14 AM
Teams yap about character all the way up to the draft then they draft the guy they think projects to the best pro.    I think Winston goes first because coaches/GMs always think they can "fix" whatever problem a player has.    Mariota will be hurt by system and size.    Oregon's system is being used, somewhat, by Philly.   And it made Mark Sanchez looks like a good QB. 
1/8/2015 10:20 AM
Tampa Bay has a 2nd year GM. Maybe if he was more experienced and had some history of being successful in that role, he could take the "high-risk, high-reward" option in Winston. My guess is he plays it safe and gets Mariota. Or they trade down for many picks.

If it were me, I'd take Winston. 
1/8/2015 10:49 AM
Word got out that Tampa was interested.    A week ago, Winston was looking forward to returning to school and playing baseball.    That's a guy looking to repair his rep and upgrade his draft stock.    This week he's declaring.    That's a guy who heard, correct or not, that there was a very good chance he'd go #1.   You don't pass on the chance to be the first pick. 

And I don't think Mariota is a "safe" pick at all.  
1/8/2015 10:55 AM

Mariota runs around and makes easy throws. I like the kid but he doesn't have the arm talent that Jameis has. 

Jameis makes NFL throws. He has great anticipation of receivers getting open. He makes tight throws into coverage and he isn't injury prone. If I were the Redskins or Jets, Winston would be a terrible pick due to character issues. However, Tampa is virtually an irrelevant franchise with zero offensive talent at the moment. They have absolutely nothing to lose by taking Winston first and letting him start in the middle of the season. Worst case scenario for Tampa: they draft a local kid who led FSU to a championship and a playoff appearance, and he just doesn't work out. Best case scenario: Jameis fixes his character issues and you have a top 1 or 2 tier QB for the next decade. That is a no brainer for Tampa. 

1/8/2015 1:00 PM
Winston is Jamarcus Russell - guy looks the part and has a million dollar arm, but his two cent head will have him out of the League quickly. Look at his regression between last season and this season, even against a much easier schedule.
1/8/2015 4:42 PM
I'm not a fan of Winston.   I can see him being a massive failure.    But Mariota is more Kaepernick than Rodgers.   The shine has worn off of Kap, Griffin and the like.   Teams are going to want someone who can stand in the pocket and make all the throws.    Winston can do that.    He's more Rothliesberger.    And teams are going to think "We can teach him not to be a dumbass."     You can make Mariota have a stronger arm or be 240 lbs. 
1/8/2015 4:53 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.