much easier schedule?  I think FSU's schedule this year was actually better than last years.  I mean the non-con last year was Nevada and Bethune-Cookman (along with Florida).  Final Pre-Bowl Rankings last year Clemson 12, Duke 24 (and Auburn 2).  Clemson and Duke moved up after the bowls.  This year, Final Pre-Bowl Rankings: Georgia Tech 12, Clemson 17, Louisville 21 (and Oregon 2).  Not to mention teams like Notre Dame and Oklahoma State swapped in for teams like Nevada and Maryland (citadel basically the same as bethune-cookman).  

I get that FSU didn't look nearly as good this year as it did last year and that Jameis didn't play against Clemson, but the FSU schedule wasn't actually that bad on the whole.  I'm also sure that losing a guy like Kelvin Benjamin and Devonta Freeman didn't help the numbers nor did all the damn distractions he had to deal with (granted most were self imposed but they still had to affect his play).   

To compare Winston to Russell is just silly.  Russell was never really prepared to play.  He didn't put in the time.  He was always out of shape.  Winston is always in shape.  In fact in the off season he plays a second sport.  He has the work ethic and dedication.  He just puts himself into situations and gets himself into trouble.  He might always do stupid **** like that or he might get his head on straight and turn it around (Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Brett Favre, etc. all had a lot of issues early on but righted the ship).  I'd feel a lot more confident drafting a guy like Winston that seems to care about the craft and takes it seriously, but is a knucklehead off the field, than a guy like Russell that is a knucklehead off the field and doesn't seem to take football seriously.
1/8/2015 5:04 PM
Winston throws a ton of interceptions.

Mariota is a rich man's Russell Wilson.
1/8/2015 5:31 PM
A lot of great QB's throw interceptions.

Not sure what film you're watching but Mariota doesn't make the same throws that Wilson makes. Wilson has a strong arm and can throw bullets. Mariota throws a lot of 5-6 yard passes. Wilson was forced to throw bombs at Nc State and Wisconsin. Those two are vastly different QB's.
1/8/2015 11:56 PM
I don't know that Mariota has a current NFL comparison.   And that's not necessarily a good thing.   Griffin/Manziel had no comparisons either.
1/9/2015 8:53 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/9/2015 8:53:00 AM (view original):
I don't know that Mariota has a current NFL comparison.   And that's not necessarily a good thing.   Griffin/Manziel had no comparisons either.
Personally, I've never liked comparisons. No two quarterbacks are the same really. Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger and Flacco are all great quarterbacks. None of them play like each other. 
1/9/2015 10:16 AM
Like them or not, they're made because teams are trying to get an idea of who the college player might be in 5 years. 

Winston is almost a Rothlisberger clone.    Even down to the dumb off-field decisions.    Big, hard to bring down, arm to make all the throws, enough mobility to get a some yards on the ground.     Therefore, if you think you can win with Big Ben, you're more likely to take a chance on Winston.

Part of the reason Manziel dropped to the 20s is because there hasn't been anyone like him in the last 40 years.  Fran Tarkenton in the 70s? 
1/9/2015 10:22 AM
Manziel dropped because he is knucklehead and unlike Winston is small, doesn't have a big arm, and can't make all the throws.  If he wasn't "Johnny Football" with all of the accolades, he probably would have been drafted more in the range of where Wilson got drafted. 
1/9/2015 10:58 AM
Knuckleheads don't drop if they have everything else going for them.    Manziel went about where he should have.   You can't miss in the top 10 or you're the Raiders.   If you need a QB, you're probably not drafting 11-20 as you have a serviceable QB.    In the 20s, you probably have a good QB and can draft for the future.  Or, in Cleveland's case, a 2nd first round pick.     

That said, since Cleveland missed twice before with their 2nd first rounder(at 22 both times) on Quinn and Weeden, you'd think they'd talk themselves out of it.
1/9/2015 11:33 AM

Um, scouts don't make comparisons. Coaches don't make comparisons. Fans and media are the ones throwing comparisons around. 

The problem with Manziel is that he has zero traits of even a decent QB. And the people who did like him, liked him because he's "mobile" yet he barely runs a 4.6. On top of all that, he also has off-field problems. 

Jameis certainly hasn't made great decisions but he is a relatively smart student. He has an incredible arm. And he is making reads that FEW collegiate QB's know how to make. 

I don't think he would be a great fit everywhere. But for Tampa, a franchise that has been completely uninteresting and also resides closely to FSU, he is a great pick. 

1/9/2015 11:58 AM
Of course scouts and coaches make comparisons. I'm sure, looking at scouting reports, you'd find "Reminds me of..."
1/9/2015 12:03 PM
Yeah, that's just silly.   "Scouts and coaches don't make comparisons".    Ok.
1/9/2015 12:04 PM
I understand the risk, but Jameis would be an easy #1 pick for me. He's immature, yes, and that would also be said of many people at 21. He's intelligent (was offered a scholly to Stanford), makes good decisions on the field, and has the physical ability to be a great QB. If he's a top 5 QB in this league, it shouldn't surprise anyone.

That said, my job isnt on the line as GM. So I understand not taking the risk.
1/9/2015 12:08 PM (edited)
It's not often that Newton comes off as the more likeable QB on the field. But Winston's hissy fit did it.
12/24/2017 4:18 PM
Winston seems far superior to Mariotta thus far.
12/25/2017 12:14 PM
unless winning matters
12/27/2017 12:35 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.