MLD Rules Discussion Topic

I'd also be ok with scrapping the sc bonus or limiting the amount of how many sc bonus' a franchise could earn. Perhaps a league-wide vote is in order?
8/19/2014 10:57 PM
My opinion on the sc bonus and tanking ..get rid of the bonus seems like just most owners have no problem with dropping it completely...tanking.I have no problem with teams that do.I look at it this way,if you want to waste 2 or 3 seasons stockpyling your team for a run that may last a season or 2 that should be up to the owners discression one way a middle of the road team can get better is to suffer a few seasons stockpyle then compete with the stronger teams.NHL teams tanked for years before they started the lottery.Case in point the pens getting Lemieux.they tanked the last part of 1983 to secure him.
8/21/2014 10:02 PM
 I don't think the SC bonus is needed, but at the same time I don't think it has been abused neither,  I really doubt anyone tanks on purpose for the sole reason of receiving it. I think that point is distorted as there is a difference between rebuilding your team and tanking on purpose to get the bonuses.  I know it doesn't enter my management decisions, I got it once when I took the team over way back in season 12 when I inherited a bad team and was new to the league, but since then I have employed the controversial rebuild cycle strategy and have not received it again.  Do I hold back players...yes, do I tank...no.

Without any waiver or free agency element like the real NHL, how do we build a team with just draft picks and trades... strategizing when to play or minor league the players so that the team can grow as one cohesive unit to make a run for a few years acts as that, why limit it more?  I see holding players back akin to NHL teams developing their prospects and using free agency to build...if we had free agency (or waiver ) I would entertain more rules governing the use of players. 

8/29/2014 4:26 PM (edited)
Could this work as a free agency system? Free agency would have good players (not maxed out players), closer to the end of their careers, and with winning teams having a better shot at landing the big name free agents. Every season would see 12 (or 18, 24) free agents, 2 G, 4 D, 6 F. We can pick their name (something easily recognizable as a free agent), age (maybe all 19 or 20 etc), ratings (such as 70-80 across the board or at least that quality), and salary (362,505 – 612,632 for skaters, 150-200 min for goalies). Free agency occurs during the playoffs and is complete before the next season draft. At the end of the season each franchise gets $1 for each point they have in the regular season, to a max of $100. Money not used this free agency is carried over to next free agency. Free agents will be bid on in a silent auction format, and the player goes to the highest bidder. The player will be added to your team when OKP gets the player file (so you need to leave a spot open for your free agent signings, or have the free agent replace one of your throw away draft picks). One catch is that free agents must play – if they are warehoused then the Free agent refuses to play for your team any longer and leaves. They can be traded or bought out (released next off season).

This is something I would be willing to help run in the off season. Exact details could be worked on if this is an idea other owners are in support of. Depending on complexity we could modify this or any of our other extras to keep the administration manageable.
8/30/2014 2:37 PM
Posted by paul71 on 8/30/2014 2:37:00 PM (view original):
Could this work as a free agency system? Free agency would have good players (not maxed out players), closer to the end of their careers, and with winning teams having a better shot at landing the big name free agents. Every season would see 12 (or 18, 24) free agents, 2 G, 4 D, 6 F. We can pick their name (something easily recognizable as a free agent), age (maybe all 19 or 20 etc), ratings (such as 70-80 across the board or at least that quality), and salary (362,505 – 612,632 for skaters, 150-200 min for goalies). Free agency occurs during the playoffs and is complete before the next season draft. At the end of the season each franchise gets $1 for each point they have in the regular season, to a max of $100. Money not used this free agency is carried over to next free agency. Free agents will be bid on in a silent auction format, and the player goes to the highest bidder. The player will be added to your team when OKP gets the player file (so you need to leave a spot open for your free agent signings, or have the free agent replace one of your throw away draft picks). One catch is that free agents must play – if they are warehoused then the Free agent refuses to play for your team any longer and leaves. They can be traded or bought out (released next off season).

This is something I would be willing to help run in the off season. Exact details could be worked on if this is an idea other owners are in support of. Depending on complexity we could modify this or any of our other extras to keep the administration manageable.
That is an awesome idea Paul. Could be a ton of work for okp though.
8/30/2014 9:35 PM
Where exactly do the free agent players come from?
8/31/2014 12:24 AM
We make up the free agent players. Either a preset formula or our own random player generator each free agent period. There would be extra work adding these players in to the player file between seasons.
8/31/2014 12:39 AM
Love the idea....but sounds a little complicated and gotta be honest, I really am not up for more of a workload......also feel I need to let you know, when I handle the player file in the offseason, I don't have the ability to create/generate any new players.  I can only tweak the attributes/skills and names of existing players.  I don't have the ability to change positions either.  Admin/MikeW is only one who is able to do those things(generate players and change positions)....and he already goes above and beyond in helping us with this league despite not being to devote as much time as he used to for this site's sim hockey stuff.  So........um ya.  (Sorry to be a "Debby Downer" lol)
9/2/2014 12:05 PM (edited)
Kinda thought that might be the case. Player Generation is simply beyond our control.

And yes, even though we are very good customers, let's not forget that WiS already rewards us with the free seasons etc. So don't forget that even when requests are brought up like pumping up the draft pool, it's likely beyond even Admin's capability to do so. The draft program/algorithm/system is something that was coded long ago, and we are one of very few leagues/groups of owners even USING it. (Wouldn't surprise me to find out we are the ONLY ones.) I don't see them taking however long / manpower to rewrite code just because we feel like switching things up once in awhile.

9/2/2014 12:48 PM
Thanks OKP. I was guessing how the player file you receive each off season actually worked.

A players statistics could be generated outside of the sim, and then during the off season file adjustment one could modify a player inside the sim to match the stats of the player generated outside of the sim. (A throw away player would need to be drafted, signed, and identified to the commish for modification)

I can see this would take some coordination and respect if it is too onerous on the commish.
9/2/2014 11:18 PM
Very nice idea about free agency system Paul!!! If only WIS could help us with organize this LOL... I fully understand manually handling will be too much of a workload :(
9/7/2014 8:20 AM
I posted some ideas in league message board last season on put a minimum limit on full regular season skaters. 20 games or more. There was a discussion and input. I don’t remember all details and it’s all long washed away.

Back then when deciding on current rules – 20 games = full season, the only issue of not dressing 4 lines and 3 lines was double shifting in PLAYOFFS. All GMs dressed 18 players in each regular season games and it was odd to see a team with less than 18 skaters clocking less than 20 games. All playoff bound teams was always concerned about injuries and not being able to dress full team in playoffs.

So the “new era” warehousing issues with saving bodies in regular season (and really tank) is a rather "new" thing. And personally I don’t like it at all. In my opinion this is to “unreal” even for a fantasy league. So - throwing somehing out again:

- All teams need to play 10 forwards minimum 20 games in regular season
- All teams need to play 4 defenders minimum 20 games in regular season

This will not stop "warehousing" as is, then other ideas should be brought up to separate voting, but it will have us needed playing full roster in a more natural and realistic way. I know this will still have a "loop hole" to play short roster in some game/majority of games, but what's the point really (except tank for low standing rank), you still will have 10+4 = 14 skaters age one season.

I’m not sure we need some heavy punishment for “breaking” these rules. Also if someone goes MIA, then that team will probably have at least 10+4 players do 20 or more games, if not serious stamina issues. So it could just be an gentleman agreement to make sure all GMs will follow these simple minimum games rules. Feel free to tweak my suggestions.

Also if something like this would be implemented, I suggest same minimum player rules will apply also for playoffs. Maybe even up one more player in DEF and ATT and have minimum 5 defenders / 11 forwards in each and every playoff game! Too much double shifting is also not very realistic, and the SIM obviously does not punish players with low stamina in following game.

- All teams need to play 11 forwards minimum in each playoff games
- All teams need to play 5 defenders minimum in each playoff games
9/7/2014 8:40 AM (edited)
I'm not sure the min player requirements should extend to the playoffs. Or at least that it shouldn't increase to eleven forwards and five d-men. First off, punishments for breaking the rules would be harder to determine and enforce. But mostly, I think it's fairly common practice to double shift your top defensive pair or top couple forwards in the playoffs in real life. And I have used that method in this league on occasion. There are detriments to double shifting as well as benefits. I feel it's part of coaching strategy to balance those. :>

That being said, I'm in favour of a minimum player requirement of ten forwards and four d-men for the regular season. I think that's more than reasonable. :>

And of course I still think we need to eliminate the Crosby bonus. if not all bonuses. :>
9/7/2014 12:55 PM
While I think the minimum forward/d-man is a good idea, I feel it will be to much babysitting. I understand that a massive retirement may cause an owner problems putting a full squad on the ice. If there's to be a gentlemen agreement it should be that we all will use the 20 player roster requirement. Everyone has to be able to fill that or you aren't able to set a lineup, and unless there's injuries or suspended players this should be easy to do. . Just remember that any player that doesn't play 20 games in the regular season is ineligible for the playoffs (true rookies aside).
9/7/2014 7:06 PM
just make the rule that all teams have to have 20 players play in every game unless you only have 26 players on your team and injuries hit. Its not that hard
9/7/2014 7:13 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
MLD Rules Discussion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.