MLD Rules Discussion Topic

Something to consider though OKP:

What is going to be the age at which the decline happens? 22? 23? 21?

I ask this for 2 reasons:

1. Should a manager decide to really "go for it" and end up retiring lets say 8-10 guys, they will need to sign all of their draft picks. In later rounds and picking late in rounds, very often the only usable prospects are aged 22 and up. Most managers have learned that the younger players tend to improve quicker than the older ones. That being said, is it better to draft a D-man that is 19 and has 11 Stamina, 35 Shooting, 45 Skating, 55 Toughness and 72 Defense or a 23 y.o. with 65 Stamina, and similar other attributes. While the attributes for the 19 y.o. may improve quicker than the 23 y.o.; how useful is that player going to be for the manager with such a low stamina? I think he's end up being injured often and I haven't paid enough close attention to how players improve or not while being injured. But if the 23 y.o. player starts to decrease in attributes immediately? I hope you see my point.

2. I presently have 2 23 y.o. and 1 22 y.o. players on my roster. They all have pretty decent attributes and one of them (the 22 y.o.) is actually 4th on my team in goals. Granted he has less points this season than the last player of the month had last month but...The 2 23 year olds both just completed their 3rd season, the 22 y.o. has one more season. All of them played their first seasons on the team in season 38. Not sure when they were all drafted but it's obviously taken time for them to improve to the point they are now. It would be unfortunate if after all this time, that they start to decline just because they were 23 y.o. when drafted. I think it's different than if they were 17 or 18 y.o. cooking in the minors to become superstars.

Again, just my .02

-modo

9/30/2014 11:47 AM

For what it's worth, I found my old files of drafts:

Drafted season entering season 37 (I had 4th pick)
2nd Round:
LW Felix Seikkunen: Age: 23; ST: 82; SH: 51; SK: 51; Tough: 37; Def: 33; Overall: 57.9
Present Stats: ST: 93; SH: 74; SK: 65; Tough 25; Def: 53
3rd Round:
LW Tomas Marsy: Age 22; ST: 69; SH: 45; SK: 45; Tough: 51; Def: 43; Overall: 52.2
Present Stats: ST: 75; SH: 68; SK: 71; Tough 18; Def: 65

Drafted entering Season 38 (I had 15th pick)
4th Round:
LW Jean-Sebastian Saaskia: Age 23; ST: 67; SH: 26; SK: 43; Tough: 63; Def: 40; Overall: 43.9
Present Stats: ST: 71; SH: 39; SK: 54; Tough: 42; Def: 45

9/30/2014 12:41 PM
ok maybe the age thing won't work

but the 90+ Shooting or Skating = automatic stamina reduction .....is still something to consider.....  maybe instead of it being "or" it could be "and".......where if both Shooting AND Skating are 90 or more, they get an automatic stamina reduction.
10/2/2014 8:01 AM
Will that work if a team "earns" a SC Bonus? Not sure you penalize a team/player for having great shooting/skating OKP.
10/2/2014 11:43 AM
The way these discussions are going, sounds like the SC bonus may end up getting scrapped.

If SC bonuses are scrapped, players who reach those high shooting/skating levels will have likely been around for awhile....sometimes folks hold those players back on purpose to "cook" them up to those levels.....this is part of the problem as it leads up to super teams full of these super players that ultimately crush the opposition.

With this proposed idea, it wouldn't entirely penalize these players.  They would still have those high shooting/skating abilities......there would just be an element of risk involved in that they wouldn't be guaranteed to play a full 82 game season plus all of post season with their high stamina.

10/2/2014 3:52 PM
Don't even remember if I made this point before... The SC Bonus was invented and put in place before the game engine was modified to make cooking a player possible. It made a lot more sense back then.
10/2/2014 6:20 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
So is it safe to say that there will be no change in the current format for the upcoming season as it's due to start shortly and there hasn't been any formal poll going out to the owners?

10/26/2014 8:51 PM
I didn't think changes for this season were in play anyway. IIRC, the standard in this league has always been that rule changes don't go into effect till the next season, giving all owners leeway to prep their rosters as needed.

Once we get this offseason out of the way I should formalize something.

10/26/2014 10:27 PM
I really feel we need to make some kind of vote regarding possible rule tweaks. NOW. OKP has been doing a fantastic job with MLD for many RL years and asked for someone else to take initiative regarding ideas and putting up a vote. Lots has been suggested in this thread, but not all owners have put their thoughts in. Seasons comes and goes. After this one, only 6 left of current contract. Time to make a decision, is it not?
10/28/2014 7:39 PM

I count 8 seasons left after the current season  :)  (45-53)

Agreed we should decide.  Its a tough task to get everyone on the same page with anything, its a task I had to give up on awhile ago.......while some of us feel a change is needed(myself included) only a select few have offered up suggestions......  many owners are content to keep things the way they are.

The idea to change various rules seems to come in waves too.......the desire to see/make changes flares up every season or so.....ideas are brought forward, and discussed and then shot down.......the discussion sort of dies off..........and the process repeats itself.

Perhaps we don't need any changes?  I dunno...   either way, if we make a final decision on the matter so we can end these discussions.

With or without rule tweaks, perhaps we may need prepare ourselves for the end of the MLD.  Its been a good run but lets face it, we began this badboy in June 2006...  when season 53 is complete, we'll have kept this thing going for 10 real life years!  That's an incredible feat!

10/29/2014 12:52 PM (edited)
Oh I don't know if we will ever end these discussions, it is human nature to complain and try to improve things.

12/5/2014 9:17 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8
MLD Rules Discussion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.