D3, Season 71 Topic

An update on my stat of the day from yesterday: J-Dub RPI=.6907  Wooster RPI= .Jinxed

Last Night
#17 Penn St. Altoona 61   #5 Susquehanna 66
This one was close the whole way as usual but the home team was able to maintain a slim lead the entire second half.  Susquehanna then made their free throws down the stretch to finish off the 5 point win to take round one of this season's series.  Round two is in a couple days.

Also considered: #16 Millsaps keeps rolling with a close win at #23 Stillman 73-69, #6 S. Vermont got a big second half to take out Suffolk 70-53, #8 Louisiana got past Dallas 92-81, Grove City got the home upset over #11 Wittenberg 67-63, #15 Piedmont cruised past La Grange 107-7, Rhodes bested previously ranked Ozarks 68-57, and John Carroll got a last second tip-in to break the hearts of Maryville 62-60.

Sim blowout watch: UMass Boston covered with room to spare against #18 E. Connecticut State 51-83 and Bethel was closer to the spread but still made it at #25 Hamline 56-95.

ITaLRbHAGotN: #13 Ramapo opened up a 9 point lead at the half and then held off William Paterson in the second half to keep their perfect record intact, winning the road test 77-64.

GotN
#8 Louisiana (17-2)(discodave) at #4 Emory (17-2)(phalla)
Another top ten battle in the University as Emory looks to stay undefeated in conference in a cross-divisional game with Louisiana.  The visitors are one game back from the division lead so they need wins to keep pace.  phalla has a slim 6-5 lead in the series between these two, the odds-makers have it as an even pick tonight.

Also considered: Ozarks at #1 Trinity, #11 Wittenberg at Allegheny, #14 Whittier at California Tech, and North Carolina Wesleyan at #15 Piedmont

Sim blowout watch: Mary Hardin-Baylor is a 64 point road dog as they visit #2 Texas Lutheran while Pittsburgh Greesburg is getting 51 at #5 Susquehanna.

ITaLRbHAGotN
Simpson (15-4)(profgreen) at Buena Vista (15-4)(darthhoosier)
Huge game in the Iowa conference tonight as the two divisional leaders meet for their annual party.  These two are practically twins this year with identical overall records and conference marks as well as RPI's separated by 5 points.  They're both hanging around in NT bubble territory so a win here would be a nice boost to the post-season resume.  The home team is favored by 1.
2/9/2014 11:18 PM
A little late to the party, but I propose Transylvania immediately change its mascot to the Vampioneers...
2/10/2014 1:15 AM
Wow Texas Lutheran wins by over 60 points, and drops from #2 to #3 - and is still undefeated. Looks like bulletin board material to help spur a national title run!
2/10/2014 2:23 AM
I got a real kick out of reading the box score. Does HD allow you to win a game if eight of your opponents players foul out? I assume they don't let the game engine do that. Was a little surprised to drop a spot in the top 25... But not that surprised.
2/10/2014 2:31 AM
I've never seen it happen (I've had a couple box scores where seven were out and multiple players were on 4...), but according to something in the game literature, the game is programmed with the NBA rule that would allow a fifth player to stay in the game, but you'd receive a technical for each subsequent foul. Then again, I haven't seen a technical foul called in forever in a box score either.
2/10/2014 8:37 AM
SotD: University has 8 teams in the top 25 SOS (and #26), Great NE has 5 teams, USA South has 3 teams, N. Coast has 3 teams, 1 for ODAC, Centennial, New Jersey, CC, Little E., and ASC.

For your ITaLRbHAGotN, there is an important matchup between Hendrix and Southwestern.

2/10/2014 10:04 AM
Vampioneers... I like it.

We're down to just four undefeated teams now but the five winless teams are still hangin' tough.  NKOTB!

Last Night
#9 Louisiana 49   #4 Emory 59
Visiting Louisiana had a small lead for most of the first half until Emory made a couple stops to take a lead in the last two minutes of the half.  The home team never trailed again, pulling away at the end for the 10 point win.  With apologies to Louisiana and discodave, my favorite stat from the game is starting Louisiana center Paul Currie's game line in the box score.  2 points on 1-3 shooting, 2 rebounds, and 5 fouls... in 6 minutes.  His first foul was about three minutes into the game.  Second foul: 26 seconds after coming back in.  Third foul: 69 seconds after coming back in.  Fourth foul: 37 seconds after coming back in.  Fifth foul: 49 seconds after coming in for the last time.  That's a hell of a performance right there.

Also considered: #1 Trinity defended the home court against Ozarks 76-66, #10 Wittenberg missed a possible game-winner near the end of regulation but pulled away in overtime to take out Allegheny 76-66, #11 Whittier got past California Tech 82-64, and #14 Piedmont recovered from 11 down at the half to down North Carolina Wesleyan 97-83.

Sim blowout watch: Woe to the lowly sims as we have a double dose of official blowout victims.  Mary Hardin-Baylor got doubled up and blown out by #3 Texas Lutheran 57-125 while Pittsburgh Greensburg fell blowout victim to #5 Susquehanna 46-100.  Poor little guys.

ITaLRbHAGotN: Simpson took a lead late in the first half of this one and was able to withstand repeated runs by Buena Vista to win on the road 78-71.

GotN
Grove City (15-6)(platoisek) at #10 Wittenberg (16-4)(darnoc29099)
Big game in the North Coast conference as division leader Wittenberg looks to avenge their only conference loss of the season so far.  Grove City is one game back in the standings so a win here would tie the two teams with the Grove holding the head-to-head tie breaker.  darnoc has a 4-1 advantage between the two coaches and his team is favored by 2 at home.

Also considered: #5 Susquehanna at #17 Penn St. Altoona, Dallas at #9 Louisiana, #14 Piedmont at La Grange, and #23 Stillman at Ozarks

Sim blowout watch: Medaille is getting 46 points at home hosting #13 Vassar and Albion is a 45 point road dog at #20 Calvin.

ITaLRbHAGotN
Hendrix (11-9)(carson333) at Southwestern (9-12)(hoopcoach07)
As requested, we're looking at a rare bird indeed.  It's a game in the University conference not involving a ranked team.  Of course, since it's the University even the unranked teams are good and these two have RPI's of 43 and 30.  This is a cross-divisional matchup between these teams and it's the first meeting of these two coaches.  The odds-makers have it as an even pick.
2/10/2014 4:18 PM
SotD: Pick your favorite stat from this game!
2/11/2014 6:52 AM
Posted by carson333 on 2/11/2014 6:52:00 AM (view original):
Wow -- nice one!! I think in all my seasons I've been in 1 3-OT game, certainly never a fourth.
2/11/2014 10:17 AM
Posted by rednu on 2/11/2014 10:17:00 AM (view original):
Wow -- nice one!! I think in all my seasons I've been in 1 3-OT game, certainly never a fourth.
00:01 Lawrence Hannon hits a 3pt attempt from straight away
-This sent it into 1st overtime.
00:05 Lawrence Hannon buries a 3 pointer from straight away
-This sent it into second overtime.
00:46   115-115 Rick Stiefel scores on a 3pt attempt from straight away
-This sent it into 3rd overtime.
0:00   127-127 Rick Stiefel buries a jumpshot from the left wing
-This sent it into the 4th overtime.

The largest lead in the first 3 overtimes was 3-points. In the fourth overtime Stiefel made a 3 with 2:48 left that put Southwestern up by 4, and was basically what won the game for them.

2/11/2014 2:41 PM
Another one down, three perfect teams left.

Last Night
Grove CIty 56   #10 Wittenberg 68
Home-team Wittenberg took an 11 point lead at the half and was able to stay in front the rest of the way.  In other news, Wittenberg smells bad.

Also considered: #5 Susquehanna gets the season sweep over #18 Penn St. Altoona 66-54, #9 Louisiana handled Dallas 89-74, #11 Piedmont got past La Grange 78-67, and #21 Stillman got the road win over Ozarks 70-57.

Sim blowout watch: Medaille covered in an even-number-fest against #14 Vassar 70-90 while Albion covered by a similar margin vs #23 Calvin 59-82.

ITaLRbHAGotN: Southwestern prevailed at home over Hendrix in a rather boring 144-134 quadruple overtime affair.  Ho-hum, wake me when you guys finally score in the 200's.

GotN
Suffolk (15-6)(chichisteve) at #6 S. Vermont (20-2)(funngun10)
An important divisional game in the Great Northeast as Suffolk has three conference losses and trails S. Vermont by one game for the division lead.  S. Vermont won the first meeting between these two a few days ago so Suffolk will be looking for a season split.  funngun owns a 17-13 lead in the series and his team is favored by 6 at home.

Also considered: #4 Emory at #21 Stillman, Emerson at #2 Johnson and Wales, Sewanee at #16 Millsaps, Mount Union at #22 John Carroll, and Kalamazoo at #23 Calvin

Sim blowout watch: Elizabethtown is a 51 point road dog as they visit #5 Susquehanna and LeTourneau is getting 43 points at #7 Hardin-Simmons.

ITaLRbHAGotN
Amherst (20-1)(SimAI) at Worcester St. (18-4)(kneehouse1)
A nice cross-divisional game over in the New England conference as a couple one conference loss teams meet, winner gets bragging rights as the top team in the conference.  The odds-makers have it as an even pick.
2/11/2014 4:30 PM
SotD: Under the team ratings if you go through and sort by each category, you will find something interesting. At least one of the top 3 in each category is not ranked, including the total. This is for every single category, and about half the time it is the top team.
2/12/2014 8:28 AM
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=10371416

this is a different 4ot game that just happened 3 days ago.

thought it was discussed here, but maybe not

rupp d3
2/12/2014 5:09 PM
Posted by oldave on 2/12/2014 5:09:00 PM (view original):
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=10371416

this is a different 4ot game that just happened 3 days ago.

thought it was discussed here, but maybe not

rupp d3
It was brought up on page 11 by bullman. It was also a very exciting game, although not quite as high scoring.
2/12/2014 8:48 PM (edited)
Trinity just flat-out refuses to give up the #1 ranking, they don't care how many games they've lost.  It doesn't matter.  So there.

Last Night
Suffolk 71   #4 S. Vermont 77
S. Vermont scored the first bucket and never trailed in this one but the visitors hung close the whole way.  The home team lead by 10 at the half and they were able to resist several comeback attempts throughout the second half.  S. Vermont and funngun moved up a couple spots in the rankings after the win and now has a two game lead in their division.

Also considered: #17 Stillman got a huge home win over #6 Emory 95-84, #2 Johnson and Wales got past Emerson 79-71, #14 Millsaps took care of Sewanee at home 73-63, #22 John Carroll downed Mount Union 66-52, and #23 Calvin pulled away from Kalamazoo 69-54.

Sim blowout watch: We have yet another official blowout victim after LeTourneau couldn't keep it close enough against #7 Hardin-Simmons 61-111.  Elizabethtown did a much better job in covering at #5 Susquehanna 51-85.

ITaLRbHAGotN: The simmy was able to get the road win as Amherst prevailed over Worcester St. 70-63.

GotN
#9 Louisiana (18-3)(discodave) at #1 Trinity (20-2)(bobmeyer)
Another tough game in the University as two divisional foes play their rematch game.  Louisiana dealt Trinity their first loss on the season so the home team will be looking for some revenge.  The visitors are just one game back in the loss column so a season sweep would be huge for them.  Trinity is favored by 2 at home.

Also considered: #8 Wooster at Ohio Wesleyan, Newbury at #4 S. Vermont, #10 Wittenberg at Wabash, and #17 Stillman at Hendrix

Sim blowout watch: Poor winless Richard Stockton is getting a massive 81 points at home against #16 Ramapo while Wisconsin Eau Claire is a 62 point road dog against #21 Wisconsin La Crosse.

ITaLRbHAGotN
Aurora (12-9)(jbra12) at #24 Webster (20-3)(mschulte24)
Gorloks.
2/12/2014 9:55 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...17 Next ▸
D3, Season 71 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.