Never thought I'd send this in.... Topic

So what I'm reading is that the only way to get realistic YPC averages for a top 15 running back in Gridiron Dynasty is to play against Human abandoned teams. thats just lovely
1/22/2014 12:03 PM
Not sure 8 yards per carry is realistic, which was the standard you were comparing your current running back too.  Again, not saying your current running back should not expect more.  I am just pointing out why expecting him to because of similar success in Beta *during the regular season* may be problematic.    
1/22/2014 12:19 PM
Posted by sjurat on 1/22/2014 11:38:00 AM (view original):
 Gridiron Dynasty - Football Sim Games - Boxscore - Arizona State vs Akron
Alright, I'll take a stab:

OFF: Trips    DEF: Nickel

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Whitehead. Allen Villa takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defense has heavy pressure on Villa. Villa rolls out of the pocket. Villa throws to a covered Garner (Sandoval,Dunn,Gibbs) at the UA 44 (Long). Pass is knocked down by Gibbs.

INTERCEPTION by ASU (Pedro Gibbs) at the UA 13.

This one is pretty straight forward, you threw into triple coverage on a (Long) pass route.

OFF: Notre Dame Box    DEF: 4-3

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. Blitz by Sandoval. Allen Villa takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defense has heavy pressure on Villa. Smith (Dunn) is covered at the UA 43 (Long). Villa can't get the pass off to Garner (Whitehead) at the UA 38 (Long). Villa throws to a covered Vaughn (Stevens) at the UA 38 (Long). Pass is knocked down by Stevens.

INTERCEPTION by ASU (John Stevens) at the UA 13.

Same deal here, you once more threw (Long) while under pressure.  These have big INT rates.

OFF: Shotgun    DEF: Nickel

Defense lines up for a run. Allen Villa lines up in shotgun and takes the snap. Vaughn (Sandoval) is covered at the UA 23 (Short). Mercer (Dunn,Gibbs,Whitehead) is covered at the UA 30 (Medium). The defense is starting to get pressure on Villa. Villa throws to Jones (Cain,Whitehead) at the UA 29 (Medium). Cain intercepts the ball and is downed at the UA 13.

INTERCEPTION by ASU (William Cain) at the UA 13.

A bit more interesting.  the WR-Jones (75.66 GUESS) is double covered by a pair of DB's (both with 73 GUESS), but again the throw was medium length this time and this is just voting to happen.  Your WR does not outclass this pari of DB's to the point that he should win every matchup and I have a feeling he wasn't helped by your young QB.

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Sandoval. Allen Villa lines up in shotgun and takes the snap. Jones (Stevens) is covered at the UA 33 (Medium). The defense has heavy pressure on Villa. Villa throws to Jensen (Moore) behind the line of scrimmage (very short). Moore intercepts the ball at the UA 34 and returns it 11 yards to the UA 34.

INTERCEPTION by ASU (James Moore) at the UA 34.

Jensen (70.40 GUESS) is being covered by ASU's best DB Moore (77.28 GUESS) and this is just going to happen sometimes, especially if your QB is under heavy pressure.  Essentially if he had thrown the pass earlier rather than it being a check down he would have likely completed it had he not been under such duress.  Don't forget that ASU's best LB blitzed on this play as well (Sandoval - 81.00 GUESS)

Defense lines up for a run. Allen Villa lines up in shotgun and takes the snap. Villa can't get the pass off to Jones (Sandoval,Whitehead) at the UA 48 (Medium). Mercer (Dunn) is covered at the UA 45 (Short). The defense is starting to get pressure on Villa. Villa throws to a covered Jensen (Sandoval) at the UA 42 (Short). Sandoval intercepts the ball at the UA 46 and returns it 6 yards to the UA 46.

INTERCEPTION by ASU (George Sandoval) at the UA 46.

This one is much like the last one.  Just a "well ****" throw.  Your 4th best Wr is being blanketed in the short zone (note the "covered" part) by his best 5th year senior LB.  This was just out talented and there isn't any way to avoid these at times.

More than anything else, you are trying 100% pass against one of the better passing defenses in D1.  By GUESS, he is A+ rated in pass defense but only B+ against the run.  In the Nickel defending your Shotgun attack, he is starting a pair of RS Senior LBs (both 80+ GUESS) and 3 Seniors at DB that are all B- to B+.  You're doing all of this while starting a talented, but young Sophmore QB and fighting a huge talent discrepancy as your full roster rank is 53rd in D1 talent vs his 16th ranked squad.  While I admit its a bit comical, you're attacking his strengths and not attacking his weakness (B+ rush defense and young Dline), therefore setting your team up for failure.
1/22/2014 12:33 PM
Posted by samson75 on 1/22/2014 12:19:00 PM (view original):
Not sure 8 yards per carry is realistic, which was the standard you were comparing your current running back too.  Again, not saying your current running back should not expect more.  I am just pointing out why expecting him to because of similar success in Beta *during the regular season* may be problematic.    
Ok..then 6.5 ypc. Look at the DIII leaderboard for rushing yardage. it has running backs from 6 to 8 ypc in the top 30 of the leaderboard. This being in real life.
1/22/2014 12:57 PM
Posted by jtd79 on 1/22/2014 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sjurat on 1/22/2014 11:38:00 AM (view original):
 Gridiron Dynasty - Football Sim Games - Boxscore - Arizona State vs Akron
Alright, I'll take a stab:

OFF: Trips    DEF: Nickel

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Whitehead. Allen Villa takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defense has heavy pressure on Villa. Villa rolls out of the pocket. Villa throws to a covered Garner (Sandoval,Dunn,Gibbs) at the UA 44 (Long). Pass is knocked down by Gibbs.

INTERCEPTION by ASU (Pedro Gibbs) at the UA 13.

This one is pretty straight forward, you threw into triple coverage on a (Long) pass route.

OFF: Notre Dame Box    DEF: 4-3

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. Blitz by Sandoval. Allen Villa takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defense has heavy pressure on Villa. Smith (Dunn) is covered at the UA 43 (Long). Villa can't get the pass off to Garner (Whitehead) at the UA 38 (Long). Villa throws to a covered Vaughn (Stevens) at the UA 38 (Long). Pass is knocked down by Stevens.

INTERCEPTION by ASU (John Stevens) at the UA 13.

Same deal here, you once more threw (Long) while under pressure.  These have big INT rates.

Defense lines up for a run. Allen Villa lines up in shotgun and takes the snap. Vaughn (Sandoval) is covered at the UA 23 (Short). Mercer (Dunn,Gibbs,Whitehead) is covered at the UA 30 (Medium). The defense is starting to get pressure on Villa. Villa throws to Jones (Cain,Whitehead) at the UA 29 (Medium). Cain intercepts the ball and is downed at the UA 13.

INTERCEPTION by ASU (William Cain) at the UA 13.

A bit more interesting.  the WR-Jones (75.66 GUESS) is double covered by a pair of DB's (both with 73 GUESS), but again the throw was medium length this time and this is just voting to happen.  Your WR does not outclass this pari of DB's to the point that he should win every matchup and I have a feeling he wasn't helped by your young QB.

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Sandoval. Allen Villa lines up in shotgun and takes the snap. Jones (Stevens) is covered at the UA 33 (Medium). The defense has heavy pressure on Villa. Villa throws to Jensen (Moore) behind the line of scrimmage (very short). Moore intercepts the ball at the UA 34 and returns it 11 yards to the UA 34.

INTERCEPTION by ASU (James Moore) at the UA 34.

Jensen (70.40 GUESS) is being covered by ASU's best DB Moore (77.28 GUESS) and this is just going to happen sometimes, especially if your QB is under heavy pressure.  Essentially if he had thrown the pass earlier rather than it being a check down he would have likely completed it had he not been under such duress.  Don't forget that ASU's best LB blitzed on this play as well (Sandoval - 81.00 GUESS)

Defense lines up for a run. Allen Villa lines up in shotgun and takes the snap. Villa can't get the pass off to Jones (Sandoval,Whitehead) at the UA 48 (Medium). Mercer (Dunn) is covered at the UA 45 (Short). The defense is starting to get pressure on Villa. Villa throws to a covered Jensen (Sandoval) at the UA 42 (Short). Sandoval intercepts the ball at the UA 46 and returns it 6 yards to the UA 46.

INTERCEPTION by ASU (George Sandoval) at the UA 46.

This one is much like the last one.  Just a "well ****" throw.  Your 4th best Wr is being blanketed in the short zone (note the "covered" part) by his best 5th year senior LB.  This was just out talented and there isn't any way to avoid these at times.

More than anything else, you are trying 100% pass against one of the better passing defenses in D1.  By GUESS, he is A+ rated in pass defense but only B+ against the run.  In the Nickel defending your Shotgun attack, he is starting a pair of RS Senior LBs (both 80+ GUESS) and 3 Seniors at DB that are all B- to B+.  You're doing all of this while starting a talented, but young Sophmore QB and fighting a huge talent discrepancy as your full roster rank is 53rd in D1 talent vs his 16th ranked squad.  While I admit its a bit comical, you're attacking his strengths and not attacking his weakness (B+ rush defense and young Dline), therefore setting your team up for failure.
thanks -- the QB has been benched for the 2nd half.
1/22/2014 12:59 PM
Stick with Mayo.  Even though he can't gun it down the field, his High GI will at least keep him from making poor decisions.  Try to run a bit more.  Doubtful you win, but you should have a better showing in the 2nd half.
1/22/2014 1:01 PM
In the top 30 the median YPC (which I would consider top 15) is about 6.5 YPC. 15 is the lowest number of top running back/OL combination I would accept my team as having and I believe it is higher.
1/22/2014 1:05 PM
Posted by jtd79 on 1/20/2014 5:58:00 PM (view original):
The rest of you, I also don't understand.  Bob, you have a valid complaint that the Dev's should at least spend 5 minutes a week on a developer's blog to let us know what they are up to and to give us a roadmap of expected changes.  Beyond that, none of these complaints are based in reality.  The game engine has not be tweaked in almost a month.  There are no stealth changes and nerfs, it is acting very consistently game to game.  The SIM's are harder to beat than they were in 2.0 but that's not a bad change.  
This is not entirely true.  Remember two seasons ago when there was a mass interception game that plagued teams across worlds despite minimal interceptions across the board before and after that game?  Right there are 2 unannounced and unexplained changes that took place in 24 hours.  Were they attempting to adjust passing percentages, interceptions or did the engine just take a crap one day?  What was changed or did they just revert back to what the game was before that day?  Nobody really knows.  This would be a "stealth change", although not very stealthlike in application lol.

Regardless, I think the changes mentioned mostly pertain from season to season and there are changes taking place in that capacity.  Stamina is a good example.  That was announced, but not clear.  After 9 games I am not sure how stamina is working and if I look to the "update" for a clue, all I learn is that step one of a new model has been implemented.  That is better than telling us nothing, but this is not Beta anymore and this is a real season.  Is that really comprehensive enough?  I know more of my players are getting into games but I don't know why.  This will be impacting real games! 

Again, I like this version better than version 2.  A lot better.  I do understand **some** of the frustration though.     
1/22/2014 5:55 PM (edited)
Posted by jtd79 on 1/22/2014 10:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by harriswb3 on 1/22/2014 10:19:00 AM (view original):
Bob Hazlewood:

Lets look at it this way:  if we assume that you have no clue....we still do not care about that.  What we care about is that YOU have established a STANDARD.   From there we can all deviate as we wish....but we will all still come back to that standard.

Even on a bad day...your contributions to the game are far greater than all the rest of us combined.  You and yatzr are the only glue holding this game together.
A HUGE +1 to this.
I have to throw my hat in with both above.  As soon as a new coach joins the small little div 3 league I play in, I always tell them about Guess Reports.  I do this not only for all the help it provides in terms of making sense of the game and where a team may stand, but more importantly, for the fun factor it adds to the GD experience!  I can't say enough how much that site adds to my personal GD experience.  I hope you stick around.... 
1/22/2014 5:51 PM
Just some side notes: If they can't get the wording right - why do we think they can get the decisions right?!"!

"This one is pretty straight forward, you threw into triple coverage on a (Long) pass route." The only reason is that there is triple coverage is that the GD field is very narrow and DB can cover from one sideline to the other. In the real world, you wouldn't have triple coverage on that receiver. Nickel formation - blitz by Whitehead (4 DB left) three on Garner means two others covered by one DB. Only in GD would the QB throw to the triple covered WR.

The defense has heavy pressure on Villa. Always see this - never see "Offense getting plenty of time to throw". Just show that OL are not valued correctly for blocking.

Pass is knocked down by Stevens. INTERCEPTION by ASU (John Stevens) at the UA 13. - Knocked down and then intercepted - what on the bounce?

Villa throws to Jones (Cain,Whitehead) at the UA 29 (Medium). Cain intercepts the ball and is downed at the UA 13. -
Why would he run 16 yards backwards?

Moore intercepts the ball at the UA 34 and returns it 11 yards to the UA 34. - Is that the total yard he ran around before tackled even though he didn't gain yards upfield??

And people wonder why we can't really seem to understand what's going on!?!?!
1/22/2014 9:38 PM
To me, the pbp stuff seems to be the easiest thing to fix. I understand that if you mess with the engine it can have side effects and thus it takes longer, but a pbp issue like those above should be pretty straight forward.

And yes, the idea that a quarterback, even in inexperience would throw the ball to a triple covered receiver when there is only one other DB on the field. The problem of course is that we don't know who was in coverage. Conceivably he could have 2 LB's in coverage in a nickel. But its not likely. And you can't tell that by the pbp. But this goes into another problem. In GD there are "area's of influence". Where literally a blocker can be in 4 places at once as can a DB.

1/22/2014 10:17 PM
Posted by bhouska on 1/22/2014 10:01:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bhazlewood on 1/22/2014 7:53:00 AM (view original):
Katz said
 For those that think that signing up for your favorite school and getting some high GUESS rated team (sorry Bob - but Guess is the standard) is really what this game is about - and hoping that you can make the playoffs against the SIMs in an empty world, then you don't understand what some of us have tried to do. 

No offense taken - frankly I wish people would stop using GUESS as a standard, because right now I have absolutely ZERO clue as to what makes a player successful at a given position.

I disagree, if you'll look at the teams winning NC's, they'll also be rated highly on GUESS.  Good job, Bob.

And/or they are coached by bhouska. You've been on a roll since this new engine came around.
1/22/2014 10:28 PM
◂ Prev 123456
Never thought I'd send this in.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.