mobbing those lazy sons a .... Topic

Posted by bhouska on 1/28/2014 7:46:00 AM (view original):
Just my opinion, but you might get a better feel for the game with a better team. Plus, it's more fun to win while you're learning.
and more satisfaction when you do start winning with your guys and your system
1/28/2014 9:09 AM
I wouldn't waste a RS--especially not on someone you're going to cut anyhow.  The hit for cutting someone isn't that big, and won't make a difference for the guys you'll be trying to recruit anyhow.  Use the RS on one of your high potential / high WE freshmen. 
1/28/2014 9:56 AM
I started to look around and see where some people with sucess are really using their redshirts very strategically to improve their team long term, and in normal circumtances that is certainly the right thing to do (after all who am I a newbie to say otherwise). But I was just thinking wondering that if I was only gonna stay 3 or 4 seasons, or even if i should decide to move on after this season to a better team where rebuilding will not take as long as with this one, then redshirting is kind of unnecessary. And then of course I made the mistake of giving some of my most promising recruits playing time promises (between 35 and 45%). The problem is not that they are not gonna play that much they immeadiately are good enough to start, but that this pretty much eliminates my options to redshirt those 5 players.

Also when you are down in the gutter this much, don't you need every single win as soon as you can get it to get at least a little bit of vision improvement in order to start recruiting better (serious question). Or is it more important to take the recruits you can already get and develop them slowly but efficently?

Being a newbie I had not exactly not at all realized when choosing the team what I had gotten myself into, but I am absolutely decided to leave the team better then I found it, while also winning as much as possible (and I fully realize that we are probably talking about the difference between 0-13 and maybe 1-12 this season, and slightly better next season, provided i do good scheduling)

If the hit for cutting them is not that big, then it is probably worth it just to go straight cutting them without any shenanigans.

1/28/2014 11:44 AM (edited)
Posted by bobprobert on 1/28/2014 8:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dachmann on 1/27/2014 1:46:00 PM (view original):
So I am coming up with another one... i guess this will keep happening during my first season.

If there is a thing I cannot stand in live, then it is a lazy bastard who gets through with it. For example someone who manages to get 4 years worth of college paid just by putting his foot to a pigskin every maybe 15 minutes and then goes on break (maybe smokes a cigarette???), never played a defensive down, never scored a point. Like my senior punter. At least though, when he is not on break, he does his job quite well. So it could be worse than him

What is worse than my procrastinanting senior punter. Well the guy who backs him up of course, (a sophmore), who does nothing all day but warm the bench and get a schollie for it. You say you got two of those lazy sons o b*tches on your roster, how, do you stand the day, it really can't get any worse? Well take a look at my roster and ye may learn a thing

what could be worse: well the guy who backs up the guy who backs up the guy who makes a schollie on doing quasi nothing of course. Yes, my predescessors did bequest me with a roster with not two but 3(!) punters. The last one (a junior) is, additionally to being ultimately lazy also so epically inept, that if ever anyone did put him on the field to try to punt, I would indeed be rather surprised if he would know in which direction to get the ball. Really what a scham of a (only in digital code existing) human being!

This much cosmic unfairness I just could not let slide. I fully plan to rescind his scholarship the first chance I will get! But I hear that this will cost me loyalty (although it is beyond me to understand how I could be expected to be loyal to such a mega procrastinator). Thus I figured I might try some well deserved good old fashioned mobbing, to see if he has to moral fortitudeto quit when it is necessary. I redshirthed him, fully intending to show my mild side before the last game of the season by pulling the redshirt and then promptly burry him on the depth chart where he will be able to procrastinate the whole game without ever having to get up and move to the field. He reacted with surprise and anger to the redshirt saying something about how this was gonna be his year and how this made it look like his hard work (my ***!) was for nothing.

Now here comes my actual question: who has tried this out with a junior? Should I get my hopes up that he will quit/transfer by himself, or is that unlikely to happen?

sounds like an chapter from catch-22
I take that as a nice compliment :)
Thank you

1/28/2014 11:19 AM
You have a point, if you are 100% not gonna be there after 3-4 seasons, no need to redshirt your good guys.

But, IMO, going 0-13 vs. 1-12 is not gonna make a difference recruiting.  Just get the best guys you can with high WE/Potential and get after it.

1/28/2014 11:40 AM
Once upon a time there was a great thread called "Diary of a Rebuild".  Here's the link.  Some of this might have changed, but I'm thinking most of this will still be good, because it was more about recruiting than gameplanning.  Buckicoyote took the worst of the worst in Leahy and within 3 seasons was in the playoffs.  I think back then you could carry over 100% of recruiting dollars not spent, which changes things a little bit, but not much.  Check it out.
http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=324345&page=1

1/28/2014 2:59 PM
Posted by bobprobert on 1/28/2014 8:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dachmann on 1/27/2014 1:46:00 PM (view original):
So I am coming up with another one... i guess this will keep happening during my first season.

If there is a thing I cannot stand in live, then it is a lazy bastard who gets through with it. For example someone who manages to get 4 years worth of college paid just by putting his foot to a pigskin every maybe 15 minutes and then goes on break (maybe smokes a cigarette???), never played a defensive down, never scored a point. Like my senior punter. At least though, when he is not on break, he does his job quite well. So it could be worse than him

What is worse than my procrastinanting senior punter. Well the guy who backs him up of course, (a sophmore), who does nothing all day but warm the bench and get a schollie for it. You say you got two of those lazy sons o b*tches on your roster, how, do you stand the day, it really can't get any worse? Well take a look at my roster and ye may learn a thing

what could be worse: well the guy who backs up the guy who backs up the guy who makes a schollie on doing quasi nothing of course. Yes, my predescessors did bequest me with a roster with not two but 3(!) punters. The last one (a junior) is, additionally to being ultimately lazy also so epically inept, that if ever anyone did put him on the field to try to punt, I would indeed be rather surprised if he would know in which direction to get the ball. Really what a scham of a (only in digital code existing) human being!

This much cosmic unfairness I just could not let slide. I fully plan to rescind his scholarship the first chance I will get! But I hear that this will cost me loyalty (although it is beyond me to understand how I could be expected to be loyal to such a mega procrastinator). Thus I figured I might try some well deserved good old fashioned mobbing, to see if he has to moral fortitudeto quit when it is necessary. I redshirthed him, fully intending to show my mild side before the last game of the season by pulling the redshirt and then promptly burry him on the depth chart where he will be able to procrastinate the whole game without ever having to get up and move to the field. He reacted with surprise and anger to the redshirt saying something about how this was gonna be his year and how this made it look like his hard work (my ***!) was for nothing.

Now here comes my actual question: who has tried this out with a junior? Should I get my hopes up that he will quit/transfer by himself, or is that unlikely to happen?

sounds like an chapter from catch-22
2/6/2014 11:26 PM
I enjoy taking over terrible teams and building them into winners. I get a lot of satisfaction knowing the team is all mine. I have done that with at least six teams and have gotten them into the playoffs by the 3rd or 4th season.
2/8/2014 8:17 AM
◂ Prev 12
mobbing those lazy sons a .... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.