Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl parade. Topic

At least at Portland strip clubs you can drink alcohol.  In Seattle, they serve $8 Cokes and keep the lights on.
2/7/2014 4:04 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/7/2014 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 2/7/2014 11:32:00 AM (view original):
We are Seattle, not Portland.

There's a difference?   I just assumed you're all like southern canucks.

Lived in both places.  Yes, there's a difference.
2/7/2014 5:19 PM

Seattle is referred to as South Alaska quite often and it's appropriate since the Alaska cruise ships take off from the port of Seattle.

2/9/2014 12:47 AM
I live just a whisper south of Seattle and have family in Vancouver Wa & Portland... here's my take on the two cities:

Seattle has Top Pot donuts, Portland has Voodoo Donuts... tossup, both are exquisite

Seattle has a gay Mayor, Portland had a Mayor (Sam Adams) who played the assistant to the Mayor in the TV show Portlandia... edge to Portland

Seattle has Puget Sound, Portland has the Willamette River... big edge to Seattle

Seattle has outstanding views of Mt Rainier and the Olympic Mts, Portland has an okay view of Mt Hood... edge Seattle

Seattle has the Space Needle and Pike Place Market, Portland has Lloyd Center and a famous Rose Garden... again Seattle

Seattle has Apolo  Ono, Portland has Tonya Harding (Okay, technically she's from SW WA but she grew up skating at Lloyd Center)
... edge to Portland?

Seattle used to have the SuperSonics, Portland still has the NBA Trailblazers... edge to Portland

Seattle has the Mariners... edge to Portland

Seattle has the Seahawks... nuff said
2/16/2014 12:54 AM
Two of the better beer cities in America also...though Portland gets the nod fairly easily.
2/16/2014 11:36 AM
Posted by The Taint on 2/16/2014 11:36:00 AM (view original):
Two of the better beer cities in America also...though Portland gets the nod fairly easily.
If you think Portland is easily ahead in local beers, you haven't had enough of either.  It is VERY close.  I'm partial to quite a few Seattle and Seattle area beers, but I don't get enough of the Portland beers to say which is better, for sure, because I'm in Seattle.
2/16/2014 2:02 PM
I'm not a big beer drinker but when on occasion I imbibe, I like Redhook Amber Ale.
2/16/2014 2:26 PM
If you get up north finn2030, Scuttlebutt & Diamond Knott are two great local breweries but you have to cross the Mason-Dixon line separating King & Snohomish County.
2/20/2014 5:08 AM
Posted by kcden on 2/16/2014 2:02:00 PM (view original):
If you think Portland is easily ahead in local beers, you haven't had enough of either.  It is VERY close.  I'm partial to quite a few Seattle and Seattle area beers, but I don't get enough of the Portland beers to say which is better, for sure, because I'm in Seattle.
LOL. I sell craft beer for a living, last year I tried over 1800 unique beers according to my Untappd. (Lordkrystic if you use the app, befriend me).

I've drank in every major beer city in America except Asheville, NC and hands down Portland has them all in ease of access plus quality. Hell Bend, Oregon is second if not first and has Seattle beat easily. Ease of access meaning public transportation//walking.

Quality of beer. In Seattle proper you have some standouts like Fremont, Rueben's(slightly over hyped though), Elysian, and Machine Head(very niche), but the best brewery in the state, Black Raven is in Redmond. I would say Fremont is 1B.

In Portland you have Cascade, Hair of the Dog, Breakside, Deschutes, Upright, The Commons, Alameda, Hopworks, Gigantic, and Laurelwood. Not to mention the countries best gluten free brewery with Harvester.

These are just the best in my opinion. Two Beers in Seattle is very good. I like a lot of Hilliards stuff also.

There's no comparison if you really know craft beer. Portland in a not quite landslide.

Anyway if you're not doing anything on Monday, I'll be checking out and picking up beer at Stoup's in Ballard for the first time and then swinging by Fremont to have a few in the Urban Beer Garden before picking up some of their rarer stuff for my tavern in Tacoma. Stop on by, I'll buy!
2/21/2014 5:02 AM (edited)
Posted by The Taint on 2/21/2014 5:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kcden on 2/16/2014 2:02:00 PM (view original):
LOL. I sell craft beer for a living, last year I tried over 1800 unique beers according to my Untappd. (Lordkrystic if you use the app, befriend me).

I've drank in every major beer city in America except Asheville, NC and hands down Portland has them all in ease of access plus quality. Hell Bend, Oregon is second if not first and has Seattle beat easily. Ease of access meaning public transportation//walking.

Quality of beer. In Seattle proper you have some standouts like Fremont, Rueben's(slightly over hyped though), Elysian, and Machine Head(very niche), but the best brewery in the state, Black Raven is in Redmond. I would say Fremont is 1B.

In Portland you have Cascade, Hair of the Dog, Breakside, Deschutes, Upright, The Commons, Alameda, Hopworks, Gigantic, and Laurelwood. Not to mention the countries best gluten free brewery with Harvester.

These are just the best in my opinion. Two Beers in Seattle is very good. I like a lot of Hilliards stuff also.

There's no comparison if you really know craft beer. Portland in a not quite landslide.

Anyway if you're not doing anything on Monday, I'll be checking out and picking up beer at Stoup's in Ballard for the first time and then swinging by Fremont to have a few in the Urban Beer Garden before picking up some of their rarer stuff for my tavern in Tacoma. Stop on by, I'll buy!
That certainly lends more credence to your claim, but I'll still respectfully disagree.  
That said, I'm definitely going to try out some of those breweries you named off that I haven't had yet.  Elysian is one of my favorites and I haven't been a fan of anything I've had from Fremont, but I don't think I've had the others. I know I've heard of Black Raven, but I don't think I've tried it.
Ease of access is an interesting attribute on which to rate beer... in Portland, that still means you need to step over about 200 vagrant teenagers on your way to the brewery, plus I'm pretty sure Portland is much like Seattle, in that the bulk of its population isn't actually in the city, so they still need to get themselves there.
Have you tried Salish Sea Brewing, in Edmonds?  They just opened a few months ago; my wife and I went there last week and were pretty impressed.
2/21/2014 2:42 PM (edited)
I haven't been to Salish yet.  Hard to hit them all with so many popping up all the time.  Did you try their root beer while you were there? I heard they brew their own and my tavern is in the process of expanding and I'm going to have a root beer on draft and would like to use one of the local breweries for that if possible.

The SE area of Portland is where most of the better breweries are and there's actually very few vagrants on the street there, certainly less than University in Seattle.  The light rail in Portland touches every part of town and is the best way to get around...I prefer to walk it myself, lets you sober up a bit in between places.  There's a section of SE Portland where Cascade, HOTD, Commons, Base Camp, Lucky Lab, Lompoc, Hopworks, Coalition, and Migration are within 2.5 miles of each other.  Throw in Green Dragon(Buckman Brewing...owned by Rogue), Apex, and Horse Brass for killer beer bars in that swatch of hoppy greatness and you have perhaps the best section of beer in the World. 

The most similar area to that is in Seattle is in Ballard. 10 or so breweries in a 5 mile area.  Love to start at Maritime Pacific...get the smoked onion rings and deep fried bacon and then start walking.  You can hit Hilliards, Reubens, BAd Jimmy's, Populuxe, Peddler, Urban Family(Shelton brothers importer to boot), NW Peaks and then find your way to Hales.  Have a snack there then hop in a cab to Fremont.  Not sure what you've tried from Fremont but a lot of their specialty beers are some of the most sought after in the US.  Their Dark Star Oatmeal Stout is probably the best stout brewed in the state.  After Fremont roll over to Brouwer's Café for the lamb burger, a great tap list, and probably the best tap list on the West coast. 

We should get together for some beer sometime....we'll grab Worms and have a day of it. 
2/21/2014 10:06 AM
Hey Taint, have you been to Triplehorn Brewery in Woodinville?  It's owned and operated by a friend's family from high school, and I went to college with the owners of Woodinville Whiskey!
2/21/2014 1:40 PM
I've never been there, but I'm pouring Triplehorn Landwink IPA at my tavern right now!  Woodinville is another place that has seen great beer in the past few years.  One of these days maybe we can meet there and have a pint or three.
2/21/2014 9:21 PM
Tomorrow night, Triplehorn is having an expansion and kickoff party.  If you can make it, I'll be there around 7.
2/21/2014 9:42 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl parade. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.