A Twisted Franchise League $160 M cap (full) Topic

$160 Million capNo: AAA, WW, Clones, Trades. Yes:  DH. 16 team league. Pick a Franchise. With 2 possible exceptions, as noted below, all the players MUST be twisted. For example, if you have the Red Sox franchise you can have Babe Ruth but only using a year when he was a Yankee or a Brave. If you have the Yankees, you can use Babe Ruth but only using a year when he was on the Red Sox or Braves. If you have the Braves, you can include Ruth from a year he was on the Red Sox or Yankees. This pretty dramatically changes the field as to the relative strength of franchises.  The Browns/Orioles and Senators/Twins are much stronger than they are in a non-twist franchise format and can easily field competitive teams at this cap.

Now to the exceptions: You can, if you want, have one hitter and/or one pitcher on your team whose selected season was for the franchise you picked. This opens the door for inclusion of great players who did only play for one franchise (e.g. Musial, Walter Johnson, Gehrig, Ted Williams, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc.). It is not a requirement that you must include one hitter and/or one pitcher whose season was for your franchise, it is simply on option available to you. It is also not a requirement that these selections be used on players who only played for 1 franchise during their careers. You could, for example, pick for your 1 hitter exception a season Napoleon Lajoie played for the A’s if the A’s are your franchise.

Note: For players who split one season between franchises, as long as the one you select in WIS is a twist for your selected franchise you are OK. For example, if your franchise is the Cardinals and you want to include the 1964 Lou Brock, make sure you pick the one WIS labels as being for the Cubs (unless you want him to count as your one hitter exception, then you could pick the one as a Cardinal).   

Players can be twisted to any franchise they played for as listed in baseball reference. That broadens it a little from franchises just listed in WIS for players.  Hughie Jennings, for example, can be on a twisted Tigers team since baseball reference lists him as having played for the Tigers even though he doesn't have a Tiger listing in WIS.

Only 2 instances of a franchise are allowed so we get a decent mix. First come, first serve on signing up here for franchises. Must use a stadium used by your franchise in their history.  You can have 2 teams, which would be placed in separate leagues.

A few prominent players who played for at least 4 franchises in their careers who are worth taking a look at since they have several twist opportunities:

Rogers Hornsby
Jimmie Foxx
Tris Speaker
Sammy Sosa
Hugh Duffy
Pete Browning
Joe Kelley
Jesse Burkett
Hack Wilson
King Kelly
Al Simmons
Joe Medwick
Paul Waner
Lefty O’Doul
Kenny Lofton
Nomar Garciaparra
Eddie Joost
Dave Bancroft
Mike Piazza
Ivan Rodriguez
Joe Morgan
Lave Cross
Freddy Lindstrom
George Kell
Dan Brouthers
Jason Giambi
Frank Robinson

Silver King
Cy Young
Greg Maddux
Steve Carlton
Carl Mays
George McQuillan
Roger Clemens
Tom Seaver
Randy Johnson
Burleigh Grimes
Art Nehf
Rube Waddell
Dazzy Vance
Hoyt Wilhelm
Rich Gossage
Dennis Eckersly
Billy Wagner
Fred Toney

I’ll start first with selecting the Reds. I’ll set up the league and send out the league number once there are 7 teams signed up.

And yes, this whole idea came about as a convoluted way to enable me to have 2 of my favorite pitchers (Christy Mathewson and Tom Seaver) on the same (Reds) staff AND bring the (damn) Yankee franchise back to the pack a bit.

Make sure you review Baseball reference for franchise history: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/

Teams no longer available since they've been selected twice:  Cubs;  Red Sox; Braves

1. Reds-ghsisler
2. Red Sox-dodgebob
3. Giants-ratioman
4. Cubs-specsman
5. Expos/Nationals-firecapt
6. Dodgers-alston
7. Yankees-urband
8. Braves-ghsisler
9. A's-georgiap
10. Phillies-dntcllmejack
11. Cards-ChitownBluz
12. Cubs-dodgebob
13.  Red Sox-calhoop
14.  Braves-moneybonn
15.  Pirates-BCBSMA
16.  Indians-fatboydad54

Waitlist:
sjh0825-Dodgers
georgiap-Mets

2/19/2014 6:37 AM (edited)
This is right up my alley.
Let's start this off with the current World Champion Boston Red Sox.
We'll play at Huntington Ave and feature the bullpen of doom:

Eric Gagne
Billy Wagner
Dennis Eckersley
Rod Beck
Joel Piniero
Cla Meredith
Takashi Saito
Jeff Reardon
John Smoltz
Tom Gordon
Ramon Ramirez
Keith Foulke
Craig Breslow
...and don't get me started on the long list of starters....

2/7/2014 10:40 AM
Hi dodgebob!  I'll sign you up for Red Sox.  You've also got a very powerfull batting line-up to select from.  The Red Sox are pretty loaded in this format.
2/7/2014 10:47 AM
I'll take the Giants just to call them "They might be Giants"
2/7/2014 3:19 PM (edited)
Giants are yours ratioman.  Welcome!  They are pretty loaded.
2/7/2014 4:42 PM (edited)

Chicago Cubs, please, they let a lot of good players "get away".

2/7/2014 5:21 PM
Quite surprising this league hasn't filled more quickly.
Especially when nearly every franchise has a shot at a loaded team.

Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker were Athletics.
Hack Wilson was a Phillie.
Hank Greenberg was a Pirate.
Jason Giambi was an Indian.
Steve Carlton was a Twin.
Mordecai Brown was a Cardinal.
2/7/2014 6:10 PM
I'll take the Expos/Nationals.
2/7/2014 6:15 PM
Welcome specsman & firecapt!  The Cubs and Expos/Nationals are yours respectively.
2/7/2014 6:51 PM
Posted by dodgebob on 2/7/2014 6:10:00 PM (view original):
Quite surprising this league hasn't filled more quickly.
Especially when nearly every franchise has a shot at a loaded team.

Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker were Athletics.
Hack Wilson was a Phillie.
Hank Greenberg was a Pirate.
Jason Giambi was an Indian.
Steve Carlton was a Twin.
Mordecai Brown was a Cardinal.
Agreed dodgebob!  Pretty much every franchise has high end players they can use.  The Phillies have an unbelievable infield they could put together.  I'll likely take a 2nd team at some point and I'm probably going with either the Browns/Orioles or Sens/Twins because both those teams can be competitive, and that often isn't the case for those franchises.
2/7/2014 6:54 PM
I will take the Dodgers.
2/7/2014 7:08 PM
Dodgers are yours alston.  Welcome!  Lots of great players to pick from.
2/7/2014 9:17 PM
I'll try the Yankees
2/9/2014 7:38 AM
The Yanks are yours urband.  They are still pretty loaded.  Welcome!
2/9/2014 8:21 AM
Since no one has taken the Braves yet, I'm going to jump in and take them as my 2nd team.  I just can't resist.  Sisler/Hornsby/Ruth/Walsh/Cy Young.
2/10/2014 6:40 AM
123 Next ▸
A Twisted Franchise League $160 M cap (full) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.