How much does starting help work ethic/development Topic

My Southern team basically has no chance of winning anytime soon, the only players that matter are the freshmen though their WE is low 20-40.

I'm thinking I might be better off just starting them in order to help them develop more. However if it's not a significant impact i'll at least try and field a respectable squad.

D- prestige, no seniors, winning matters 0.

Thoughts?
2/9/2014 4:40 PM
Haven't look at the team, but I think its worth it.  I have done that in the past with good results.
2/9/2014 5:07 PM
playing time really makes a big difference in work ethic. the individual growth just that season is fairly meaningful, too - but really if you take into account the increased gains from that higher work ethic the rest of that player's career - i think its pretty substantial.

2/9/2014 5:09 PM
The lower their work ethic is at the start the more you gain from starting them early. Because the improvement isn't straight line and its slow to get out of the lower numbers - and the faster you cqn get it out of those lower numbers, the more overall improvement you will see.
2/9/2014 5:29 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 2/9/2014 5:09:00 PM (view original):
playing time really makes a big difference in work ethic. the individual growth just that season is fairly meaningful, too - but really if you take into account the increased gains from that higher work ethic the rest of that player's career - i think its pretty substantial.

How significant would the difference be in regards to WE growth for a player who started every game and played 15 minutes, opposed to a player who came off the bench every game for 15 minutes? Basically how significant is it that a player gets a start, even if their minutes played are the same?
2/9/2014 5:41 PM
About 4-5 points .

If player a plays 15 minutes he'll grow x points in we.
If player b starts 28 games and plays 15 minutes he'll grow x+4 (or 5).

Assuming players a and b have the same starting we.
2/9/2014 7:42 PM
No different from when you left Tanner.  If you're punting the season, play all the freshmen and let their WE's improve up quicker along with their individual ratings as well.
2/9/2014 8:56 PM
How helpful would just a handful of starts be? If i start a player 6 or so games in a season, will I see any increase in work ethic? (This is assuming that minutes don't increase, starts are the only variable).
1/9/2017 9:56 PM
6 starts is probably worth about 1-2 points more in WE, depending on the initial WE score.
1/9/2017 11:44 PM
I don't believe there is an automatic answer. Are those players going to still be important to you, say, two seasons from now? Or are you going to recruit better ones in the next couple of seasons? If your future is the guys you are going to recruit, win games now to inch your prestige upward. If your future is the current 20-40 WE guys, play them.
1/10/2017 12:29 AM
Starters with significant minutes and a start every game, will grow between 6-8 points in work ethic. Most of the time I see 7.

Playing 15 minutes without a start usually increase 3-5 WE points.

While it doesn't seem like much, I find it a very significant difference (in the long run) over a career to start a guy with low initial WE.
1/10/2017 1:24 AM
How much does starting help work ethic/development Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.