NFL DRAFT LEAGUE--Rosters and commentary Topic

Even if you don't have a lot of passing and run stamina, the WR/TE will still not be called on enough.
2/14/2014 10:58 AM
Posted by gencoimports on 2/14/2014 10:58:00 AM (view original):
Even if you don't have a lot of passing and run stamina, the WR/TE will still not be called on enough.
yeah i figured. annoying, but I'm not paying for Harvin's running so I can't be too mad.
2/14/2014 11:39 AM
You draft a WR/TE with a high rating, hoping once in a blue moon he will a make a big play for you.

When it does happen, the tendency most often happens is when f the defense is playing heavy run.

They shut down the RB but the reverse makes a big play for an over pursuing defense.
2/14/2014 11:42 AM
Thanks, glen87, for the Seahawks and Broncos salary analysis. Our teams will kick tail!
2/14/2014 12:47 PM
Posted by gencoimports on 2/14/2014 9:46:00 AM (view original):
As I see the draft progress, I am wondering how many folks are actually building a team in their draft center to see how much $$$ remain for after the draft.

I am seeing some folks potentially spend way too much on offense in general or a specific skill position that there won't be much left for a strong enough defense. 
I've been doing that once I drafted Dan Fouts as my qb.  That's why my Frankie Gore and Jason Witten picks may not speed up your pulse rate, but they are both high quality players who I hope (pray?) can keep my offense "on schedule" while I throw out what I hope (pray?) is a very solid George Allen era (aka early 1970s) 'Skins D.

I also plan on spending decent, but extravigent $$$, on special teams to help give me a bit of an edge.  In big $$$ leagues, it's been my experience that strong special teams can help push you over the top.
2/14/2014 4:18 PM
Posted by roadhouse19 on 2/14/2014 3:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by amerk1180 on 2/11/2014 2:10:00 AM (view original):
I guess my question to those who chose defenses and/or O lines primarily in the 2nd half of the 1st round and are advocating them would be....

Would you still draft a defense or O line if you had a top ten pick?
I would still take either Megatron or Crazy Legs.  IMO, there are too many great qb and rb seasons that I could wait for and still put together a great offense. 

If Legs and Tron both gone, I would take the Rams O Line or the Browns O Line.  If those lines were gone, I'd take a $5+ mill line (I don't know them all off hand).
Then I guess I got a big time bonus, still getting Crazy Legs in the SECOND round after picking AP in the first
2/15/2014 1:20 PM
As I see the draft progress, I am wondering how many folks are actually building a team in their draft center to see how much $$$ remain for after the draft.

I am seeing some folks potentially spend way too much on offense in general or a specific skill position that there won't be much left for a strong enough defense. 
I'll tell you what genco...I drafted the JETSD with an intention to use their 2009 100 pass rating D, which values at just over $33 mill.  Putting together a roster right now with that D and I don't have a lot of money at the end for K. P and ST.

I was thinking about taking Matt Ryan's $8,8 million season as my QB.  I might be better off taking a QB with a $7.6 ,mill salary and having a slightlly better ST, K and P.

I can't imagine the trouble I would be in if I drafted a $37 or 38 million dollar D that I planned to use.  No matter what the cap, there never seems to be enough money
2/15/2014 1:29 PM
Yes, a big D means, to me, having to skimp on the passing attack. A high-completion 80+ stam QB is expensive, but it isn't just that; in addition, you need well over 300 rec stam among the skill positions to be able to catch all those passes. Once I settled on the Steelers 37M unit, I knew I would take a QB with <70 stam, and my rushing stam would need to be at least 110. I got a QB who can run also, so that helped, but I will go into rd8 with only about 55 rushing stam, and about 16M left to fill my team. Either I skimp on ST/K/P or I take RBs with poor yds/carry.
2/15/2014 1:47 PM
Posted by tomhanrahan on 2/15/2014 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Yes, a big D means, to me, having to skimp on the passing attack. A high-completion 80+ stam QB is expensive, but it isn't just that; in addition, you need well over 300 rec stam among the skill positions to be able to catch all those passes. Once I settled on the Steelers 37M unit, I knew I would take a QB with <70 stam, and my rushing stam would need to be at least 110. I got a QB who can run also, so that helped, but I will go into rd8 with only about 55 rushing stam, and about 16M left to fill my team. Either I skimp on ST/K/P or I take RBs with poor yds/carry.
Lol, what else is new?  All of your teams, even your open league ones, are built this way.  If you didn't plan on using a big $$$ defense like the 73-76, the 2008 or 2010 Steelers D, I would've been disappointed in you Tom. 
2/16/2014 12:07 AM
Liek Road says, I am SO predictable.....
2/16/2014 6:53 AM
Im going specail teams in this league...ive been testing special teams in open leagues and had ok results from them. I personally think WIS under estimates special teams....how can teams use the $1 million under squads NOT get absolutely destroyed against the squads like Clevaland or Kansas City with $5 million? I think its absolutley a shame the way WIS uses Special Teams ratings.
2/16/2014 11:12 PM
I mean NFL is based off THREE corner stones...Offense....Deffense...and SPECIAL TEAMS....if any one is bad then it shows a weakness. Think of the 90's Bills or Chiefs...all had respectable OFF/DEF AND amazing specail teams!!!!! Why cant WIS use the specail teams units correctly? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2/16/2014 11:16 PM
actually the NFL seems to be destroying special teams. fewer kick offs are being returned and now they are considering eliminating the extra point which will be a real stupid move
2/16/2014 11:21 PM

I was building my team in the draft center to gauge salary cap space. I knew I wouldn't be able to take the most expensive season of each player, but I was basically drafting my favorite players too.
2/17/2014 7:52 PM
Some thoughts about how I drafted.

1. I have several editions of the Football Outsiders almanac.  What's really cool about them is one of the things that they track is the length of the passes wrs and tes caught and their yards after the catch.  Anyway, 2012 Calvin Johnson is a lot like LeBron James in basketball. Calvin's receptions by pass length are spread fairly evenly, so like Lebron, he fills in a lot of blanks in regards to my reception requirements.  Like Wes Welker, he can catch a 5 yd pass and gain 5-8 yards after the catch on 1st and 10 to start my drives.  Like Michael Irvin or Brandon Marshall, he can make the tough catches 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 8 to sustain drives.  And of course, he can blow the top of off defenses like Cliff Branch and Randy Moss.  He costs over 3 mill, but he enables me to not have to spend big $$$ on deep threats like James Lofton or Warren Wells or reception hogs like Welker or Hines Ward.  Just as Lebron does it all in bball, Calvin can do it all as far as receiving goes.

2. Like a dumb ***, I sitemailed Amerk, Genco and Tom with my wish list of qbs to draft for me.  Dan Fouts was at the top of the list.  Then I looked at the qbs were availaable at the time and I saw that Matt Ryan, Roman Gabriel and Sonny Jurgensen were still on the board.  I didn't want to be a pain, so I just left my wish list as it was. While Fouts is very good, (the 82 version won me an open league championship, the 84 version got me a conference title and the 81 version won me 2 open league MVPs), I think I could've done a little bit better at qb.

3. Before we began, I was budgeting $38 mil for offense and $32 mil for defense.  I pretty much hit my mark.  I didn't know beforehand until I took Fouts if I would be a pass happy, run happy or balanced offense.  I was seriously considering Ken Anderson (I probably would've used the 74 version), but Tom took him before I had a chance.

4. I think my team has no glaring weaknesses, but considering how strong a lot of these teams will probably be, no great strengths (except for Calvin) either.  Depending on where I wind up after everyone enters his team, I should be ok.
2/17/2014 8:46 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
NFL DRAFT LEAGUE--Rosters and commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.