NFL DRAFT LEAGUE--Rosters and commentary Topic

Posted by amerk1180 on 2/11/2014 2:10:00 AM (view original):
I guess my question to those who chose defenses and/or O lines primarily in the 2nd half of the 1st round and are advocating them would be....

Would you still draft a defense or O line if you had a top ten pick?
I'm not sure what I would have done. Admittedly I based my strategy on knowing I had no shot at the top QBs. I don't think I would have taken anything besides a QB or DEF in the top ten, though.
2/11/2014 10:10 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 2/11/2014 10:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tomhanrahan on 2/11/2014 9:21:00 PM (view original):
glen87 the only owner with no D AND no QB. But with his running attack, he won't need to throw very often!

yeah but will he be able to find a decent OL for them to run behind? I'd like his plan a lot better if he had taken an OL instead of Harrison.

true, it was  gamble taking harrison.  i just wanted a top WR and am hoping him along with a nice RB combo may offset a lesser OL.  will have to wait to see if i get the QB i am looking for or not.
2/11/2014 10:20 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 2/10/2014 8:24:00 PM (view original):
Briefly, my thinking on draft strategy (explaining why I, like others at the back of the draft, went DEF/O-line with my first two picks):

I was mainly thinking about positional scarcity.  By definition, there are only about 30-35 (not sure how all the franchise continuity stuff works out) teams available for DEF/O-line, while there are many more options at QB/RB/etc.  Plus a lot of the best defenses/O-line are from the same franchise. Not saying there isn't some quality drop-off there, but I'd much rather be the 24th guy taking a QB or RB than the 24th guy taking a DEF or O-Line.

As for my specific picks, the '54 Eagles D is one of only 7 with 80+ run and pass D. Add in a huge 97 sack rating, solid 85 drive rating, and for $33 mil I think it's a pretty good deal (especially because people seem to think INT and Red Zone are the most overpriced defensive ratings).

I was really hoping to add either the Rams or Browns O-line, too, which I thought were definitely the two best.  I didn't have much preference among the next group - I thought Packers/Titans/Texans were all about even - so I went with Packers because they have a few really good OL to give me some salary flexibility (although I'll admit I didn't know Texans/Chiefs was the same franchise, or I might have gone with them instead).  But I have a good, balanced OL, which should allow me to go multiple directions in building my offense.

My thinking was almost exactly the same as tarheel's EXCEPT that Calvin Johnson and Crazy Legs Hirsch are such unique players that I was gonna take one of them (if they were available) with my 1st pick.

Lol, I have only played one SIM season since the 2012 Megatron became available.  I sitemailed Amerk, Genco and Tom Hanrahan to take  Crazy Legs with my 1st pick, but I did a second look at wrs and saw that 2012 'Tron  was even more expensive (i.e. better?) than 1951 'Legs.  I then changed my mind and took 'Tron.

I'm beginning to get a little buyers' remorse though because I'm second guessing myself for not taking the 51 Rams O Line first. 

My next pick is probably gonna be my most  important because it'll determine kind of offense I'm gonna roll with.  But Tarheel's right.  The talent pool at the skill positions is very deep and I decided to wait until round 4 to start getting individual players.  But 'Tron and 'Legs ('82 Wes Chandler's phenominal too, but I didn't want to deal with his 89% durability)are so unique that I had to get one of them.
2/12/2014 2:00 PM (edited)
Nick Foles.... I didn't see that one coming, genco
2/12/2014 6:41 AM
I liked Foles, but due to my relative inexperience with the SIM (and what I can expect in terms of injuries for guys with durability less than 100%) I'm trying to stick to 100% guys as much as possible just for certainty.
2/12/2014 8:06 AM
okay, so I took a TE early in rd2, and almost 50 picks later, no other tight ends have been chosen. Who wants to tell me I jumped the gun?
2/12/2014 8:42 AM
Posted by tomhanrahan on 2/12/2014 8:42:00 AM (view original):
okay, so I took a TE early in rd2, and almost 50 picks later, no other tight ends have been chosen. Who wants to tell me I jumped the gun?
eh, TE and WR are basically interchangeable. You basically need 3-4 good ones total, doesn't matter what combo of TE and WR IMO. I'll likely be drafting mine in the 8th round and don't really care who it is.
2/12/2014 8:52 AM
QB Philip Rivers (70/83/70)

RB Jamaal Charles (58/88/52/46)

OL Packers (82/92/89)

DEF Eagles (84/80/97/62/85/58)

Feeling pretty good about this draft so far. Have gotten essentially the guys I was targeting so far, aside from not getting the Rams or Browns OL. Which either means that I have a great strategy or that I'm way off base ;)
2/12/2014 9:31 AM
Posted by tomhanrahan on 2/12/2014 6:41:00 AM (view original):
Nick Foles.... I didn't see that one coming, genco
Yeah, since he will probably get knocked out of a game and miss up to two more, he will be part of a 2 or 3-headed monster. 

It's a gamble, but this will be fun to experiment with.
2/12/2014 12:07 PM
Foles: I liked the Foles pick, as long as you manage his attempts, and have someone ready to finish the game. It is almost like drafting Koufax, knowing that he can only pitch 5-6 innings.

Rivers: Everyone trashes Rivers when talking fantasy football, but he has a couple of very usable seasons to choose from, for this league.

Jackie Smith: Love Jackie, wr yardage from the te position.
2/12/2014 12:32 PM
now I know the answer to "what does the grayfoxx say?"
2/12/2014 12:45 PM
I'm surprised by the Foles pick as well.  His numbers are phenominal, but duarbility has to be a concern.
2/12/2014 1:58 PM
Posted by roadhouse19 on 2/12/2014 1:58:00 PM (view original):
I'm surprised by the Foles pick as well.  His numbers are phenominal, but duarbility has to be a concern.
His durability is the same as '89 Joe Montana and he's cheaper, which makes getting a backup QB with decent stamina reasonable.

He's miss 2-3 games I'm sure.  
2/12/2014 2:12 PM
The way I see it, tyvegas has to be the early favorite.  Tom Brady throwing to Jerry Rice and Don Hutson will be pretty tough to stop.  If he fings a decent D, watch out!
2/12/2014 5:50 PM
Billy SIms pick reminds me....best back EVER from the 1-yard line......
2/12/2014 6:21 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
NFL DRAFT LEAGUE--Rosters and commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.