Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

I think it also further moves the Arod fiasco into the rearview mirror, which is a good thing.
2/13/2014 10:59 AM
I guess I'll disagree, Mike.  Yankees will be in a playoff chase all year, and storylines are constantly popping up.  Jeter has guaranteed a lot more attention on him than usual.  I don't think people would had been assuming Jeter was retiring unless he said he was.  We'll never know for sure, obviously, but I don't see the "all Jeter, all summer" storyline had he kept his mouth shut like he normally does.  
2/13/2014 11:02 AM

I hope the Yankees are in the hunt all year.    With their IF and pitching, I don't see how.

2/13/2014 11:06 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2014 11:06:00 AM (view original):

I hope the Yankees are in the hunt all year.    With their IF and pitching, I don't see how.

Need to stay healthy.
2/13/2014 11:14 AM
That's not really it.   No ace and everyone after the front 2 are question marks.  An IF of Tex, Johnson, Roberts and Jeter scares no one.   Old or bad.   So, essentially, you're asking McCann and the OF to carry the team.   Can't see it.
2/13/2014 11:22 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2014 11:22:00 AM (view original):
That's not really it.   No ace and everyone after the front 2 are question marks.  An IF of Tex, Johnson, Roberts and Jeter scares no one.   Old or bad.   So, essentially, you're asking McCann and the OF to carry the team.   Can't see it.
It's an above average OF.  I think a lot rides on Tex playing like Tex for 130+ games.  Can't lose that bat again.  I'm banking on Sabathia having a better year, too.  Could be one of the better rotations in baseball.

That said, I think we're looking at an 85-88 win team right now.  But that's a team that "in the hunt" most likely, especially with 2 wild cards.
2/13/2014 11:28 AM
I just think there's the potential for 4 holes in the line-up(the infield), a rotation that is a one big question mark 1-5 and a bullpen that is going to look very different from the last 17 years.   Beltran, Ellsbury and Gardner are all injury risks and there's no way to know what you'll get from Ichiro/Soriano. 

So many things have to fall in place. 
2/13/2014 12:28 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/13/2014 10:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by seamar_116 on 2/13/2014 10:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 2/13/2014 9:56:00 AM (view original):
The other thread was talking about the HOF merits of players.

This thread is not.

So your question is not relevent to this thread.
meaning you don't want to answer a simple question like "How do you measure performance on the field?" Why is that such a threatening question for you to answer?
I'm saying that I'm not gonna clutter this thread with the ******* contest that you seem to want to start.

Perhaps another thread might be more appropriate for your question.  Like one where discussion of performance has been debated.  I wonder if there's a thread like that somewhere on this site?
got it...you don't want to answer a simple and direct question because you think your answer might make you look silly and/or ignorant.

I understand   "How do you measure performance on the field?"  is a pretty threatening question.

We are both here now.
2/13/2014 5:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2014 12:28:00 PM (view original):
I just think there's the potential for 4 holes in the line-up(the infield), a rotation that is a one big question mark 1-5 and a bullpen that is going to look very different from the last 17 years.   Beltran, Ellsbury and Gardner are all injury risks and there's no way to know what you'll get from Ichiro/Soriano. 

So many things have to fall in place. 
Come on Mike...this thread is all about Jeter....don't go cluttering it up with other tangential things. Tecwrg doesn't like it if you don't stay on point.

If Tanaka doesn't turn out to be the real deal quickly it might get messy. What's the word on Pineda? And do you want Montero back?

2/13/2014 5:41 PM
Pineda is thinner and expected to be 100% during ST.

CC, Tanaka, Pineda, Nova and Kuroda have the potential to be a real good rotation.   Or a complete disaster. 
2/13/2014 5:54 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2014 5:54:00 PM (view original):
Pineda is thinner and expected to be 100% during ST.

CC, Tanaka, Pineda, Nova and Kuroda have the potential to be a real good rotation.   Or a complete disaster. 
Mike,

I'll take your lack of comment on Jesus Montero to be a "No, thank you." 
2/13/2014 7:28 PM
He got exposed just a little.   I wanted him back.  Until he played.

Funny thing is, when the deal was made, it was "OMG!!  This is huge!!"    Two highly touted young guys.   Now it's "Meh.  Maybe he'll figure it out."
2/13/2014 7:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/13/2014 9:58:00 AM (view original):
Posted by seamar_116 on 2/13/2014 8:34:00 AM (view original):
nope...ARods a total douche...but when he came to the Yankees he was a better SS. A true HOFer would have done what was best for the team.
So ignore long-term effects of what you're doing?

Play A-Rod at SS for a couple of seasons and move Jeter to 3B.   Then, in 2007 when A-Rod is no longer mobile enough to play SS, move them back.

Do you realize how dumb that is?    A-Rod, quite frankly, did not have a SS body(think Cal Ripken).   Everyone knew he'd grow out of the position in his early 30s.
It's not just about the position thing. ARod was chastised hard by the media, fans and even his own teammates in NY. There was a big clubhouse controversy. All it would have taken was for "The Captain" to say "Guys, he's a Yankee, he's our teammate, now regardless of how you feel, STFU and support him."

But he didn't. He sat back and quietly watched ARod get picked apart. I still remember a time when a ball was popped up to third. ARod was camped under it the whole way, but Jeter kept drifting over and drifting over and finally called it, then bumped into ARod and the ball dropped. It was ARod's all the way and Jeter effed it up. But after the play, Jeter just stood there on the field blatantly glaring at ARod and the crowd gave ARod ****. Classy, my ***.

You want to see a classy player, look at Rivera last year. Even fans who hate the Yankees could not find a bad thing to say about him. Jeter is not even in the same galaxy as Mo when it comes to class.
2/13/2014 10:41 PM (edited)
Hater's gonna hate.

Sad, really.
2/14/2014 6:34 AM
2/14/2014 8:43 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.