Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

2/14/2014 4:06 PM
2/14/2014 4:06 PM
2/14/2014 4:07 PM
I could post these all day.   They appear to have a working relationship. 
2/14/2014 4:08 PM
They stand next to each other, so they had a working relationship?

Jeter never defended ARod during any of the dumb drama he went through.  He defended any other teammate.
2/14/2014 4:09 PM
What was he supposed to do?

The co-worker you don't like gets busted for smoking pot in the men's room.   Do you help him clean out his desk?   Go to management and ask them to give him another chance?

Or do you just do your job, let him do his job and work together when it's required until they fire him?
2/14/2014 4:14 PM
Honestly, I think you think, because Jeter didn't stand behind A-Rod like Biden does Obama, during every presser that he somehow made life harder for A-Rod.  A-Rod made life harder for A-Rod. 
2/14/2014 4:16 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/14/2014 4:16:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, I think you think, because Jeter didn't stand behind A-Rod like Biden does Obama, during every presser that he somehow made life harder for A-Rod.  A-Rod made life harder for A-Rod. 
You're the one bringing up press conferences.
2/14/2014 4:18 PM
"We're here to support him," Jeter, the Yankees captain, said after working out Monday at the team's minor league complex. "He's obviously in a tough situation. I've been on teams that had guys that have made mistakes in the past. When you're a team, everyone is one family. I'm sure he's going to hear a lot about it over this year. We're going to be there to support him because he's one of us."

Never said about ARod.  Can you guess who it was said about?
2/14/2014 4:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/14/2014 4:14:00 PM (view original):
What was he supposed to do?

The co-worker you don't like gets busted for smoking pot in the men's room.   Do you help him clean out his desk?   Go to management and ask them to give him another chance?

Or do you just do your job, let him do his job and work together when it's required until they fire him?
Do whatever you want.  The reaction you list here is fine.  What would a leader do?  If you're in a high-profile workplace, and you know your words carry a lot of weight to how people view the co-worker and the organization, what do you say?  Something that takes some heat off him and eases workplace tension, tension between the media/fans and the co-worker? Or give a quote that says nothing, basically, and let him burn up in flames?
2/14/2014 4:27 PM
Does everyone understand my overall point?  When I saw this thread develop, I cringed, because I knew I wouldn't be able to resist bashing him.  He seems like a decent guy, but the clamoring over how great of a person he is, how he plays the game the right way, etc, etc, is just soooooo overblown.  He played the game the way is supposed to be played, as do 90% of MLB players.  It's not a REASON on why he's a HOFer.  The majority of HOFers played the game the way Jeter plays it, but nobody uses that as a reason on why they're HOF players.
2/14/2014 4:36 PM
I think what you're failing to recognize that the 90% that do it the "right way" aren't high profile players.   Jeter obviously got around.   There was none of this:

In NY, where there's someone always watching you, he was never a subject of controversy.  Except for his non-support of A-Rod.   George once said he was "out too much".   Then they made a commercial about it.   He showed up, did he job, said the right things all under the watchful eye of NY.   Truthfully, if he had done the same thing in KC, no one would know.   Because the one reporter in KC can't cover everyone. 
2/14/2014 5:05 PM
Typical MikeT throwing up smokescreens..."B-b-but it's ARod!!" So because ARod is a piece of garbage, that makes Jeter less of a ****** teammate? Showing your teammates up on the field or sitting back as "The Captain" and watching one of your teammates get devoured by anyone and everyone makes him the shittiest of teammates. I don't care who the player in question is. Even last year, when ARod came back as Public Douche #1, Girardi stood up and said "It doesn't matter what he's done or how people feel about him. He's one of us and we're going to support him". Never EVER heard that from Captain Derek.

How about another example - Ripken. Final years of his career, team gets Bordick who at that point was a far superior defender at SS. So what happens? Ripken moves to 3B. Jeter should be taking it upon himself to go to the Yankees and say "Look, if you guys can get Drew in here, I'll move to 2B because it'll make this team way better". Wouldn't happen in a million years because Jeter doesn't put himself out for the betterment of the team.

And to those saying I'm just hating on Jeter because he's a Yankee - I've never had a bad thing to say about Pettitte or Rivera. Rivera was the epitome of class. Jeter, far from it.
2/14/2014 8:15 PM
2/14/2014 8:54 PM
Careful tec. Mike's libel to snap on you for creeping in on his Jeter *** time.
2/14/2014 8:56 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.