Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 3/10/2014 9:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/10/2014 8:46:00 PM (view original):

Uh, I'm not a professional athlete, dipshit.   How ******* stupid are you?

Not stupid enough to try to prove my point by arguing against it, that's for damn sure...
You don't even know the point, you stupid *******. 

The point was to make fun of Cabrera.  Nothing more, nothing less.   I'm the only person who knows if I even played ball last weekend.  (I did but, again, that's not the point).
3/11/2014 8:39 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/10/2014 11:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/10/2014 8:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/10/2014 8:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/10/2014 4:13:00 PM (view original):
So I'm playing 3B Saturday.   Big dude hits a rocket in my direction.   Takes a bad hop and drills me, not in the FACE, but in the chest.   Left a bruise the size of a fist.   Know what I didn't look like?   This:

Moral of the story:   Even 51 y/o weekend warriors can avoid getting hit in the face by a bad hop. 
Softball or baseball?

I play third in both and baseball 3rd base is much, much more difficult.
Softball but are you sure that baseball is much, much more difficult?

I'd have to look it up but I think baseballs exit speed is somewhere around 100 MPH at the BL level.   I think softballs can exceed 80 MPH.   Standing 30+ feet closer to the batter seems to give one pretty much the same time to react.  
I'm sure. My softball team plays in the highest level offered. My baseball team plays at the lowest level in my age group.

Playing defense in baseball, especially infield, is much harder. I think it's due to the smaller ball moving faster over a larger playing area.
Seems a bit anecdotal, doesn't it?

Seriously, it's largely a math question.    80-100 MPH traveling 65 feet vs. 100-120 MPH traveling 95 feet.    Of course, there's more to it(mostly how much/quickly a ball slows after leaving the bat) but we are talking about a fraction of a second. 

But, if we're just using anecdotal evidence, I think 3B in baseball is easier.   The ball is on top of you immediately in both but, in baseball, you have an extra 30-40 feet to "see" the ball.  I don't think the speed/size of the ball makes up for that.
3/11/2014 8:48 AM
Anyway, back to the point, infielders will get hit with a ball occassionally but the natural reaction is to get your face out of the way.   Pitchers duck on balls hit back up the middle then throw a glove up.   On the ball that got me, I pulled up from my fielding stance when it hopped.  Had I stayed down, it goes over my shoulder or hits me in the face(no idea if I turned away).  But the natural reaction is to get your face out of the way.  Unless you're named Miggy. 
3/11/2014 8:58 AM
Had a few minutes to do the math.

An 80 MPH ball will travel 65 feet in .554 seconds.
A 100 MPH ball will travel 95 feet in .648 seconds. 

Seems you have more time to react at the deeper distance on the harder hit ball(not accounting for the resistance met after leaving the bat).    Not saying playing 3B isn't harder in baseball but you do have more time to move your face out of the way if you're not going to catch it. 
3/11/2014 9:25 AM
Or the ball hits the edge of the grass and jumps up, unexpectedly. I think Cabrera is horrible at third, but the ball took a bad bounce, anyone could have been hit on that play.

And, yes, it's anecdotal but third in baseball is harder than third in softball. An old guy taking one off the chest in softball is as relevant to Cabrera's bad hop as me crashing a go kart at a family fun center and comparing it to a Daytona crash.
3/11/2014 9:35 AM
I guess the math isn't working for you on this one so, naturally, you ignore it.   But that's not really the point.

How many BL 3B have been hit in the face in say the last 10 years?   Is Cabrera the only one who's seen a bad hop? 

As I said, the natural reaction is to get your face out of the way.   He didn't.
3/11/2014 9:38 AM
FWIW, a ball has to be hit 37 MPH harder to cover the extra 30 feet between 65 and 95.   80 to 117 MPH.  
3/11/2014 9:40 AM
you're ignoring resistance after the ball leaves the bat, so the math isn't relevant.
3/11/2014 9:46 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 9:40:00 AM (view original):
FWIW, a ball has to be hit 37 MPH harder to cover the extra 30 feet between 65 and 95.   80 to 117 MPH.  
I really doubt that any ground ball in your rec softball league is coming anywhere near 80 mph off the bat.
3/11/2014 9:47 AM
I've actually mentioned resistance twice.    If you'd like to do the math, feel free.    Do you think the baseball is suddenly going to be resistance-free?

I posted a chart last night.   A baseball has to be hit 90 MPH, bat exit speed, to travel 300 ft.    Would you think a softball would have to be hit harder to travel 300 ft?  
3/11/2014 9:54 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 9:54:00 AM (view original):
I've actually mentioned resistance twice.    If you'd like to do the math, feel free.    Do you think the baseball is suddenly going to be resistance-free?

I posted a chart last night.   A baseball has to be hit 90 MPH, bat exit speed, to travel 300 ft.    Would you think a softball would have to be hit harder to travel 300 ft?  
I don't know how to do the math for that. The fact the you mentioned it twice doesn't make it go away.
3/11/2014 9:57 AM
300 ft in the air isn't the same as a ground ball.
3/11/2014 9:58 AM
Sure isn't.   But, if a baseball has to be hit 90 MPH to travel 300 ft, you'd agree that a softball would have to be hit harder, correct?   Assuming that you're not going to say "no" just to argue about something you know is wrong, I think it would be fair to say that I've seen softballs that have an exit speed well in excess of 100 MPH in my league.    Do you think a two-hopper might actually still be going 80 MPH at 65 ft?
3/11/2014 10:22 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 10:22:00 AM (view original):
Sure isn't.   But, if a baseball has to be hit 90 MPH to travel 300 ft, you'd agree that a softball would have to be hit harder, correct?   Assuming that you're not going to say "no" just to argue about something you know is wrong, I think it would be fair to say that I've seen softballs that have an exit speed well in excess of 100 MPH in my league.    Do you think a two-hopper might actually still be going 80 MPH at 65 ft?
Nope, I doubt you've seen two hoppers going any faster than 60 in slow pitch softball.
3/11/2014 10:25 AM
And, again, we're getting off point.     How often do non-pitchers get hit in the face with a batted ball?
3/11/2014 10:25 AM
◂ Prev 1...40|41|42|43|44...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.