Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

The Marlins suck so it's not surprising that their players get hit in the face with groundballs.

Chapman is a pitcher.   We've kinda covered that.
3/21/2014 1:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/21/2014 1:26:00 PM (view original):
The Marlins suck so it's not surprising that their players get hit in the face with groundballs.

The important thing to remember is that MikeT did not get hit in the face with a ground ball at his weekly slow pitch softball game.

Conclusion: MikeT is a better infielder than Miguel Cabrera and ALL Marlins players.
3/21/2014 1:48 PM
That's hardly a stretch, Captain Obvious.
3/21/2014 3:01 PM
smack, smack
3/21/2014 3:08 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/21/2014 1:48:00 PM (view original):

The important thing to remember is that MikeT did not get hit in the face with a ground ball at his weekly slow pitch softball game.

Conclusion: MikeT is a better infielder than Miguel Cabrera and ALL Marlins players.
No, in 45 years of playing ball, MikeT has never gotten hit in the face with a groundball.    In fact, he's seen about 3 players get hit in the face with a groundball.

No idea how that correlates to Miggy or Marlins players. 
3/21/2014 4:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/21/2014 4:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/21/2014 1:48:00 PM (view original):

No, in 45 years of playing ball, MikeT has never gotten hit in the face with a groundball.    In fact, he's seen about 3 players get hit in the face with a groundball.

No idea how that correlates to Miggy or Marlins players. 
It doesn't.

Someone should slap the **** out of the first guy to bring up MikeT's softball play in this thread. Whoever the **** that idiot was.
3/21/2014 4:53 PM
Ahhh, I see what you're doing.   The math of how hard a ball has to be hit to travel 90 feet in the same time frame as a ball hit 60 feet still evades you.

You dumb.

Have a great weekend.  
3/21/2014 6:37 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/21/2014 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Ahhh, I see what you're doing.   The math of how hard a ball has to be hit to travel 90 feet in the same time frame as a ball hit 60 feet still evades you.

You dumb.

Have a great weekend.  
You see what I did? Yet you continue to compare slow pitch and baseball?

Nothing evaded me. Obviously a ball has to be hit harder to travel 90 feet faster.
3/24/2014 11:38 AM
Just as a side note, I've been hit in the face by a hard grounder at shortstop.  If you've played any significant time at SS/3B on crushed brick infields (especially the 9pm games two days after it rains), eventually you get a horrific hop on a low skimmer that hits a chunk and jumps up.  Try putting your legs wide, hands low with the fingers pointed down, and jerk your hands up to cover your face.  Not so easy.

3/24/2014 12:02 PM

You're Asian.  That explains it. 

Bad hops happen on all fields.   The survival instinct prevents most people from getting hit in the face.   First reaction is hands, second is moving head/body.   Watch pitchers on balls hit back at them.   Head down, glove up or vice versa.   People who can't catch it or get out of the way, turn their head and take it the neck/ear.

3/24/2014 1:13 PM
Or simply taking your eye off the ball to check the runners....

Or having slanted eyes....  

Out of the 1000's of ground balls hit every year, SOMEONE will take one off the face.  Whether or not it's a superstar 3B with a triple crown pedigree determines whether it makes the front page.
3/24/2014 1:48 PM
It's very hard to get hit in the face with a batted ball.   Which was my point. 
3/24/2014 1:56 PM
Have you seen the play? It was a ground ball that bounced straight up on the infield.  I like shitting on Miggy's fielding as much as the next guy, but this really isn't on him.  He was trying to move out of the way and couldn't in time.  Unless you realize that and you're just trolling BL for weeks on end...have at it.
3/24/2014 1:57 PM
Face-shots are a perfect storm of velocity, bad hop, and laziness/casualness (size of face might matter too).  Miggy has a melon the size of a XL-pizza pan.  Manny Machado's face is the size of a kleenex box..
3/24/2014 2:04 PM
I'm just saying not many players, excluding pitchers, take one off the grill.    At any level.    It's because the ball is coming directly at their face.  Where their eyes are.
3/24/2014 3:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...49|50|51|52|53...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.