Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

"TAKE THOSE BALLS IN THE FACE LIKE A MAN!!!!!"

You do realize... how this sounds...

3/24/2014 4:40 PM

Yep, intentional.   Mostly because 'tardcomm think he should take balls in the face or be moved to RF.

3/24/2014 4:54 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2014 4:32:00 PM (view original):
I'll try this another way(repeated for the badluckjr):

I've been playing ball 45 years or so.   I've seen three people get hit square in the face with a grounder:
1.  A little kid.   Probably on the field because mommy made him.
2.  A girl.  Probably on the field because her boyfriend asked her to play co-ed with him.
3.  A drunk dude.  Probably on the field because he didn't know better.

That's it.  Until Miggy. 
He tried to turn his head and didn't in time.  You obviously haven't actually seen the play.
3/24/2014 5:02 PM
And no, he didn't see the ball coming at his face and just let it hit him in the eye.  He couldn't react in time.  
3/24/2014 5:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2014 4:32:00 PM (view original):
I'll try this another way(repeated for the badluckjr):

I've been playing ball 45 years or so.   I've seen three people get hit square in the face with a grounder:
1.  A little kid.   Probably on the field because mommy made him.
2.  A girl.  Probably on the field because her boyfriend asked her to play co-ed with him.
3.  A drunk dude.  Probably on the field because he didn't know better.

That's it.  Until Miggy. 
Miggy wasn't #3?
3/24/2014 5:08 PM
Aramis Ramirez and Joe Crede are major leaguers who have also been hit in the face with ground balls.

I'm positive there have been countless others in the minors, college, and high school. Not even counting the tards in slow pitch leagues.

The fact that you haven't yet been hit in the face has everything to do with luck and the infrequency of ground balls capable of hitting you in the face and absolutely nothing to do with your skill, survival instincts, and reactions.
3/24/2014 5:09 PM
MikeT is just deflecting the commentary towards Miggy because he wants to avoid the reality that Jeter isn't a very good fielding SS.

Miggy isn't a very good 3B either.

Obammy isn't a very good president either.

None of these have anything to do with the others.
3/24/2014 5:25 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/24/2014 5:09:00 PM (view original):
Aramis Ramirez and Joe Crede are major leaguers who have also been hit in the face with ground balls.

I'm positive there have been countless others in the minors, college, and high school. Not even counting the tards in slow pitch leagues.

The fact that you haven't yet been hit in the face has everything to do with luck and the infrequency of ground balls capable of hitting you in the face and absolutely nothing to do with your skill, survival instincts, and reactions.
I guess you keep missing the fact that I've only seen three people, in 45+ years of ball, take one directly in the face.    It's not just my spidey-senses that keep me safe.  Unless almost everyone has them.

Wish I could find a gif of the reporter ducking a SCUD missile.   Ridiculous looking but it's a natural reaction.  Like getting your face out of the way of projectiles.
3/24/2014 5:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2014 5:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/24/2014 5:09:00 PM (view original):

I guess you keep missing the fact that I've only seen three people, in 45+ years of ball, take one directly in the face.    It's not just my spidey-senses that keep me safe.  Unless almost everyone has them.

Wish I could find a gif of the reporter ducking a SCUD missile.   Ridiculous looking but it's a natural reaction.  Like getting your face out of the way of projectiles.
I'm not missing that "fact." I'm ignoring it because it's irrelevant. The fact that you have not personally witnessed something means nothing.
3/24/2014 5:54 PM
3/24/2014 7:15 PM
3/24/2014 8:42 PM
3/25/2014 8:03 AM
3/25/2014 8:17 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/24/2014 2:04:00 PM (view original):
Face-shots are a perfect storm of velocity, bad hop, and laziness/casualness (size of face might matter too).  Miggy has a melon the size of a XL-pizza pan.  Manny Machado's face is the size of a kleenex box..
HAHAHA!!!
3/25/2014 12:34 PM
The ball took a bad hop.  Simple as that.  

Bad hops happen all the time.  Most of the time they go under a guys glove or hit them in the chest.  This one hit Miggy in the face.  
3/25/2014 12:38 PM
◂ Prev 1...51|52|53|54|55...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.