Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Hey, Corky!!!!  Life goes on, buddy!
3/25/2014 7:42 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/25/2014 7:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 6:54:00 PM (view original):
You don't have to get out of the way.  You have to move your face.

Tell us how you got hit in the FACE in the OUTFIELD at your "high level" baseball game again.   Seems hard to do.

I'll post some tee-ball players that have managed to avoid that from happening.   Wanna talk exit speeds and how long it takes a ball to cover 60 ft vs 90 ft?   It's math so I'll understand if you decline.
You act like I should be embarrassed. I'm not. The list of bad plays and mistakes I've made on a baseball field is a mile long. I've been hit in the face, overthrown the first baseman by a mile, been picked off second, dropped pop flies, struck out swinging on hanging curveballs. **** happens when you play baseball and, even you're among the world's most gifted, which I'm not, you make a lot of mistakes.

Anyone who insists otherwise plays softball once a week trying to make up for their career ending after they got cut from JV.
I'd be embarrassed.   Played baseball for 19 years, never got hit in the face.   Have played softball for over 30, still haven't got hit in the face.   You guys are making me think I'm the Matrix dude because getting hit in the face has never been a concern of mine.    I've been hit everywhere but never the face.    Just seems like a natural reaction to turn, shift or something to avoid getting hit in the face.   I imagine, if I ever get hit in the face with a batted ball, maybe my thought that getting hit in the face is almost impossible will change.   

But it won't be in the outfield.   How ******* slow is a ball going after traveling 200+ feet and bouncing twice?      ****.
3/25/2014 7:47 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 7:47:00 PM (view original):

Tell us how you got hit in the FACE in the OUTFIELD at your "high level" baseball game again.   Seems hard to do.

I'll post some tee-ball players that have managed to avoid that from happening.   Wanna talk exit speeds and how long it takes a ball to cover 60 ft vs 90 ft?   It's math so I'll understand if you decline.
You act like I should be embarrassed. I'm not. The list of bad plays and mistakes I've made on a baseball field is a mile long. I've been hit in the face, overthrown the first baseman by a mile, been picked off second, dropped pop flies, struck out swinging on hanging curveballs. **** happens when you play baseball and, even you're among the world's most gifted, which I'm not, you make a lot of mistakes.

Anyone who insists otherwise plays softball once a week trying to make up for their career ending after they got cut from JV.
I'd be embarrassed.   Played baseball for 19 years, never got hit in the face.   Have played softball for over 30, still haven't got hit in the face.   You guys are making me think I'm the Matrix dude because getting hit in the face has never been a concern of mine.    I've been hit everywhere but never the face.    Just seems like a natural reaction to turn, shift or something to avoid getting hit in the face.   I imagine, if I ever get hit in the face with a batted ball, maybe my thought that getting hit in the face is almost impossible will change.   

But it won't be in the outfield.   How ******* slow is a ball going after traveling 200+ feet and bouncing twice?      ****.
I would bet my life savings that you never played baseball on a college team. And you only played high school varsity baseball if you lived in a small town. 19 years my ***.
3/25/2014 7:54 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2014 3:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2014 2:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 2:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2014 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Except there's no way to prove that to be true.    The fact of the matter is that very few people, at any level, take groundballs in the face.    That is a fact.  "the vast majority of people would have been hit in the face by that baseball, if they were standing in the same position, and was as tall, as Miggy" is not.   Pure speculation.
I'm using the fact that he's a professional athlete and obviously has fantastic reactionary skills based on his god-like ability to hit a baseball. The fact that you assume that you would have moved out of the way of the ball is silly.
I'm assuming most of the population that plays stick/ball games would have gotten out of the way(something I've said a 100 times in this thread).    Is there a push to make CIF wear face gear?   Why is that?  3B coaches have to wear helmets(as do batters).  There is a discussion about headgear for pitchers.  
And I'm saying that's a dumb assumption. Have you watched the play?
I've watched many plays.    At many levels.    I can't even imagine how many grounders I've seen in 45+ years of watching/playing.     As previously stated, I've seen three people, before Miggy, get hit in the face.  

Why is there a discussion over pitchers wearing protective headgear but no such discussion for CIF face gear?
Because it's more likely that a pitcher would get hit in the face with a batted ball than an infielder.  The line drive directly at his head is a more likely scenario than the bad hop grounder to an infielder's face that he can't react to in time. 

Tell me more about how your reaction time is better than professional athletes.  It's hysterical.
Uhhhhhhh.......THIS!!!
3/25/2014 8:39 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2014 4:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2014 4:02:00 PM (view original):
How could he NOT see it coming.  Hit him right under the eye. 

If you could read, you'd know I'm not arguing that I have better reaction time than professional athletes.  ****, burnsyluck, you quoted me saying EXACTLY that 5 minutes ago.   But I did say I, like most people are quite adept at not taking projectiles square in the face.    Why do you insist on stating something that I clearly denied moments ago?   Because you're badluckjr?  He does that a lot.
So you're arguing that you don't have a better reaction time than Miggy, but that you'd be able to react quicker than Miggy on that play.  OK, biz.
Uhhhhhh...This TOO!!!
3/25/2014 8:41 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2014 4:12:00 PM (view original):
The point of me comparing Jeter, is that sometimes odd things happen on a baseball field, and it doesn't mean that they're less talented when it happens.  Miggy had no chance of avoiding that ball, and to state that he should have avoided it, than normal people would have, is silly.
ONE MORE TIME!!!
3/25/2014 8:42 PM
Cabrera >>> Jeter.......nuff said...
3/25/2014 8:47 PM
3/25/2014 9:28 PM

It is a natural reaction to avoid being hit in the face by a baseball. Sometimes you can't react in time. Well, you can. But not professional athletes.
3/26/2014 7:29 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/25/2014 7:54:00 PM (view original):

I would bet my life savings that you never played baseball on a college team. And you only played high school varsity baseball if you lived in a small town. 19 years my ***.
Do you play baseball now?    Which college team is it?

I'm quite sure I was, and probably still am, a much better athlete than you.    Wanna compare dick sizes tomorrow?

Nonetheless, answer the question.   How ******* slow do you think a ball is going after traveling 200+ feet and bouncing twice?   Getting hit in the face in those circumstances is embarassing.   You don't have to be embarrassed but I bet the other team was laughing their ***** off at your "misfortune".   Quadriplegics could avoid that. 
3/26/2014 9:10 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/25/2014 9:28:00 PM (view original):
I know that's an ump but I've been hit as a baserunner.    Just couldn't get out of the way.  

But you know where I wasn't hit?   In the face.   Because 99.8 percent of the population can successfully avoid projectiles coming at their face if they see them coming.   MLB has stats that proves this.  Much like the exit speed on a grounder is much slower than on flyballs.
3/26/2014 9:13 AM
MLB has stats that show that Miggy should have gotten his face out of the way of that specific baseball? Show your work, biz.
3/26/2014 9:20 AM
I assume you didn't read the thread.  Your hero daddy, badluck, claimed the MLB had stats that proved the exit speed was different on grounders/homers.    It was a simple math issue that he didn't understand.   I'm making fun of him.  Although, quite honestly, I'm not sure why I chose that.  Getting hit in the face by a ball in the OF is far funnier.
3/26/2014 9:23 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 9:23:00 AM (view original):
I assume you didn't read the thread.  Your hero daddy, badluck, claimed the MLB had stats that proved the exit speed was different on grounders/homers.    It was a simple math issue that he didn't understand.   I'm making fun of him.  Although, quite honestly, I'm not sure why I chose that.  Getting hit in the face by a ball in the OF is far funnier.
So you don't have the stats.  OK.

Use some common sense here - A line drive off the bat, 60 feet away, hits you in the face, and you can understand how that happens.  But a hard grounder that takes a bad hop 5 feet in front of you, obviously travelling a lower speed than a line drive, but still hit hard, hits you in the face, and it's mind-boggling to you.  Does that make sense?
3/26/2014 9:26 AM
No, I was mocking your hero for saying "MLB has stats" when he had to admit he misunderstood the stats moments later.

I think I've repeated many, many times that I think it's a natural reaction to get your face out of harm's way when you see something coming at it.  It's as simple as lifting your chin/turning your head a fraction of an inch in that millisecond that your brain has to recognize that you have no options left.   It's not a "Oh, ****, I'm gonna get hit in the face, I better move" thought process.   It's just an eye to brain to body action.    It's possible that your eyes don't send the proper message to the brain or the brain doesn't send the proper message to the body.   I just think it's very rare.   A baseball is not a bullet. 

3/26/2014 9:51 AM
◂ Prev 1...57|58|59|60|61...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.