Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 9:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 9:23:00 AM (view original):
I assume you didn't read the thread.  Your hero daddy, badluck, claimed the MLB had stats that proved the exit speed was different on grounders/homers.    It was a simple math issue that he didn't understand.   I'm making fun of him.  Although, quite honestly, I'm not sure why I chose that.  Getting hit in the face by a ball in the OF is far funnier.
So you don't have the stats.  OK.

Use some common sense here - A line drive off the bat, 60 feet away, hits you in the face, and you can understand how that happens.  But a hard grounder that takes a bad hop 5 feet in front of you, obviously travelling a lower speed than a line drive, but still hit hard, hits you in the face, and it's mind-boggling to you.  Does that make sense?
So you're saying, yes, this makes sense.  OK, then.  
3/26/2014 10:00 AM
How many times would you like me to repeat myself, badluckjr?    Is there a different wording that I can use to help you?

You see the ball coming, you're in position to field it(very much unlike a pitcher who just completed his motion), you know there's a chance of an awkward hop(your brain does even if you consciously do not), yet, when it does change trajectory, you can't turn your head ever so slightly to keep from taking it square in the face.  That makes sense to you?

Think of a fight.   Why didn't every punch, thrown with bad intentions by Mike Tyson, landed on the face knock his opponent on his ***?   Because they were moving their head ever so slightly to make it a glancing blow as opposed to a direct one.

3/26/2014 10:16 AM
And yet, some punches land square and some bad hops catch MLB players in the face. So, it seems that, despite the natural instinct to move your face out of the way, sometimes it isn't possible.
3/26/2014 10:21 AM
Punches that land square come from one of two reasons:   A)  didn't see it coming  B) decided to take one in order to deliver one.    Fights aren't Rocky movies where a guy drops his arms and yells "C'MON!!!"

Virtually no one gets hit square in the face from a grounder.   I only know of one person who got hit in the face by a grounder in the OF.   I think he's mentally and physically disabled so that kind of explains it.
3/26/2014 10:27 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 10:16:00 AM (view original):
How many times would you like me to repeat myself, badluckjr?    Is there a different wording that I can use to help you?

You see the ball coming, you're in position to field it(very much unlike a pitcher who just completed his motion), you know there's a chance of an awkward hop(your brain does even if you consciously do not), yet, when it does change trajectory, you can't turn your head ever so slightly to keep from taking it square in the face.  That makes sense to you?

Think of a fight.   Why didn't every punch, thrown with bad intentions by Mike Tyson, landed on the face knock his opponent on his ***?   Because they were moving their head ever so slightly to make it a glancing blow as opposed to a direct one.

You're in position to field a normal ground ball.  Miggy's glove is basically hugging the ground when the ball takes it's 2nd hop.  He's basically in the same position as a pitcher in fielding a ball to your face.  A pitcher also knows that there's a chance of a line drive at your face (your brain does even if you consciously do not).  Except that a pitcher has 60 feet to react and Miggy has 5 feet.  60 > 5
3/26/2014 10:32 AM
Why don't more people get hit in the face with grounders?     A few pitchers get hit every season.   There's talk of mandatory headgear for pitchers.     Why isn't there talk of facegear for infielders?
3/26/2014 10:35 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 10:35:00 AM (view original):
Why don't more people get hit in the face with grounders?     A few pitchers get hit every season.   There's talk of mandatory headgear for pitchers.     Why isn't there talk of facegear for infielders?
HOLY **** BL HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO ASK THE SAME QUESTION
3/26/2014 10:36 AM
Because line drives are more frequent and more dangerous than ground balls that take face high bad hops.

That's why.

3/26/2014 10:38 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 10:36:00 AM (view original):
Until I get an answer.   Or until you/your daddy stop saying "Pitchers.....infielders......" and comparing them like they're similar.
3/26/2014 10:41 AM
Ball travelling at X speed, unexpectedly at your face, 60 feet to react = makes sense it hits you in face
Ball travelling at at least 1/2 X speed, unexpectedly at your face, 5 feet to react = WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU, MOVE YOUR FACE

Logics is hard.
Posted by bad_luck on 3/26/2014 10:38:00 AM (view original):
Because line drives are more frequent and more dangerous than ground balls that take face high bad hops.

That's why.

Would it be fair to say "MUCH more frequent"?
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 10:41:00 AM (view original):
Ball travelling at X speed, unexpectedly at your face, 60 feet to react = makes sense it hits you in face
Ball travelling at at least 1/2 X speed, unexpectedly at your face, 5 feet to react = WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU, MOVE YOUR FACE

Logics is hard.
Obviously.   Virtually no one gets hit in the face despite millions of bad hops at many levels each year.    Logically speaking, why do you think that is?
3/26/2014 10:43 AM
Sure. So what?
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 10:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 10:36:00 AM (view original):
Until I get an answer.   Or until you/your daddy stop saying "Pitchers.....infielders......" and comparing them like they're similar.
The scenario where a pitcher will get hit in the face, because he can't react in time, happens significantly more often than an infielder.  Also, the ball is travelling at a much higher speed and is much more dangerous.
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 10:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 10:41:00 AM (view original):

Logics is hard.
Obviously.   Virtually no one gets hit in the face despite millions of bad hops at many levels each year.    Logically speaking, why do you think that is?
The scenario where a pitcher will get hit in the face, because he can't react in time, happens significantly more often than an infielder. 
3/26/2014 10:44 AM
◂ Prev 1...58|59|60|61|62...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.