Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

I guess I'll measure internet dicks with you even though you won't tell me how hard a ball has to be hit to travel 200+ feet bounce twice and manage to strike someone in the face. 

Not idea how many students went to my HS nor do I care to check.  I think there were 400+ in my graduating class.  Do the math.  While playing legion ball(look it up if you're not familiar with it.  I'm not sure it's still around) at 18, our coach told 3 of us some dude wanted to talk to us after the game.  He had some job with the Reds or Phillies, don't remember which.   Invited us to an tryout.  A cattle call so to speak.   Probably 100 or so.  I was one of the last dozen left until I was told to put on 20 lbs of muscle(I weighed 145-150) and come back next year(which is why I have the "I don't blame anyone who takes 'roids to be better" attitude because I'd have done them had they been around).  I was clocked in the upper 80s at 16 but couldn't throw strikes consistently to save my ***.   Since I didn't see a future in baseball after being told to gain 20 lbs, I saw no point in pursuing the sport.  I went to a college that didn't have a baseball team.  No idea if I'd have made a team or not.  I'd say "not" because it was no longer a priority in my life.

Played pick-up ball for a year then joined an adult league.  Played for 5 years(sprinkled in 4 years of softball during that) then gave it up because I just didn't have time for a practice or two during the week and two three hour games on the weekend.   I preferred to go lift at the gym than dedicate 10 hours or so to baseball.  Last time I threw against a gun(at a minor league park so you figure out how accurate it was), the readings were 69, 74, 73.  Three years ago.

There.  Are you happy to hear my life story as related to baseball?

3/26/2014 1:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 1:11:00 PM (view original):
I guess I'll measure internet dicks with you even though you won't tell me how hard a ball has to be hit to travel 200+ feet bounce twice and manage to strike someone in the face. 

Not idea how many students went to my HS nor do I care to check.  I think there were 400+ in my graduating class.  Do the math.  While playing legion ball(look it up if you're not familiar with it.  I'm not sure it's still around) at 18, our coach told 3 of us some dude wanted to talk to us after the game.  He had some job with the Reds or Phillies, don't remember which.   Invited us to an tryout.  A cattle call so to speak.   Probably 100 or so.  I was one of the last dozen left until I was told to put on 20 lbs of muscle(I weighed 145-150) and come back next year(which is why I have the "I don't blame anyone who takes 'roids to be better" attitude because I'd have done them had they been around).  I was clocked in the upper 80s at 16 but couldn't throw strikes consistently to save my ***.   Since I didn't see a future in baseball after being told to gain 20 lbs, I saw no point in pursuing the sport.  I went to a college that didn't have a baseball team.  No idea if I'd have made a team or not.  I'd say "not" because it was no longer a priority in my life.

Played pick-up ball for a year then joined an adult league.  Played for 5 years(sprinkled in 4 years of softball during that) then gave it up because I just didn't have time for a practice or two during the week and two three hour games on the weekend.   I preferred to go lift at the gym than dedicate 10 hours or so to baseball.  Last time I threw against a gun(at a minor league park so you figure out how accurate it was), the readings were 69, 74, 73.  Three years ago.

Very happy.

Now tell my why the ball that hit Cabrera in the face would not have hit you in the face.
3/26/2014 1:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 12:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:01:00 PM (view original):
According to you guys, the ability to not get hit in the face with a ball is Matrix-level ****.  Apparently I, and millions of others, do that better than Miggy.

So, how hard does a ball have to be hit, bounce twice and hit you in the face from 200+ feet away, Corky?
No, you're the only one I know who thinks you react to things better than Miggy.  If I never fell face-first into metal and plastic, busting up my face where I need stitches, do I have a better ability to not fall than Derek Jeter? Using your argument, millions of people do that better than he does.
Not many of us play on fields that are configured in a way that would allow that to occur.  But we are on fields where bad hops occur.   I'm generally surrounded by 8 feet of chainlink fence.   How about you, Corkyjr?
Not many of us play enough to be put in a situation where a hard-hit 2 hopper takes a bad chop 5 feet in front of us where the ball is re-directed directly into our faces, either.  In the same way I wouldn't tell you I'm better at avoiding busting my face up catching pop-ups than Derek Jeter, I wouldn't tell you I'm better at reacting to this very specific situation better than Miguel Cabrera.  Do you disagree?
I'm going to direct you to about 15 pages ago when we were discussing exit speeds and the difference between being 60 ft and 90 ft away from a batter.  There's a lot of info in there on how hard a ball has to be hit to travel in excess of 300 ft, the difference between softball/baseball and quite a few other things.   Read up on that and get back to me.
That sounds like it has nothing to do with what we're talking about.  Tell me if it is.  But you're arguing that a hard-hit, 2 hop ground ball that takes a hop 5 feet in front of you directly into your face should always be avoided.  It's just as fair as arguing that someone who catches a popup in fair territory should always avoid busting their face open to the point where they need stitches.  Do you disagree?
Posted by bad_luck on 3/26/2014 1:19:00 PM (view original):

Very happy.

Now tell my why the ball that hit Cabrera in the face would not have hit you in the face.
He has matrix-skill reaction time.  Duh.

Very happy.

Because I have a survival instinct that he clearly does not possess. 

I thought I've been pretty clear about this.
3/26/2014 1:20 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 1:20:00 PM (view original):

Very happy.

Exactly.  It's hysterical that you think that you have better instincts than a professional athlete.
3/26/2014 1:22 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 12:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 12:01:00 PM (view original):
According to you guys, the ability to not get hit in the face with a ball is Matrix-level ****.  Apparently I, and millions of others, do that better than Miggy.

So, how hard does a ball have to be hit, bounce twice and hit you in the face from 200+ feet away, Corky?
No, you're the only one I know who thinks you react to things better than Miggy.  If I never fell face-first into metal and plastic, busting up my face where I need stitches, do I have a better ability to not fall than Derek Jeter? Using your argument, millions of people do that better than he does.
Not many of us play on fields that are configured in a way that would allow that to occur.  But we are on fields where bad hops occur.   I'm generally surrounded by 8 feet of chainlink fence.   How about you, Corkyjr?
Not many of us play enough to be put in a situation where a hard-hit 2 hopper takes a bad chop 5 feet in front of us where the ball is re-directed directly into our faces, either.  In the same way I wouldn't tell you I'm better at avoiding busting my face up catching pop-ups than Derek Jeter, I wouldn't tell you I'm better at reacting to this very specific situation better than Miguel Cabrera.  Do you disagree?
I'm going to direct you to about 15 pages ago when we were discussing exit speeds and the difference between being 60 ft and 90 ft away from a batter.  There's a lot of info in there on how hard a ball has to be hit to travel in excess of 300 ft, the difference between softball/baseball and quite a few other things.   Read up on that and get back to me.
That sounds like it has nothing to do with what we're talking about.  Tell me if it is.  But you're arguing that a hard-hit, 2 hop ground ball that takes a hop 5 feet in front of you directly into your face should always be avoided.  It's just as fair as arguing that someone who catches a popup in fair territory should always avoid busting their face open to the point where they need stitches.  Do you disagree?
I have no I idea what I'm disagreeing about at this point.

I've been crystal clear that very few people are unable to get their face out of a the way of a groundball.    Did you miss that part?
3/26/2014 1:22 PM

Very happy.

So you're saying your survival instinct would have allowed you to move/react fast enough to get your face out of the way while Cabrera was not able to react fast enough to get his face out of the way?
3/26/2014 1:23 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 1:22:00 PM (view original):

Very happy.

Exactly.  It's hysterical that you think that you have better instincts than a professional athlete.
Do you know what "instinct" is?

A person who can hit a baseball very hard doesn't necessarily have a survival instinct that's worth a damn. 
3/26/2014 1:23 PM
LOL.  Yup, we're on the same page.  You also must think you have better instincts than Jeter, who can't avoid busting his face open playing baseball.  
3/26/2014 1:24 PM
I'd say reaction time and survival instincts, in the way you're describing it, is the same thing.
3/26/2014 1:25 PM
And around we go!!!!!!!  WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of people see grounders every day.   At many levels.   Very, very few get hit in the face with said grounder.   Why is that?
3/26/2014 1:25 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 1:25:00 PM (view original):
And around we go!!!!!!!  WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of people see grounders every day.   At many levels.   Very, very few get hit in the face with said grounder.   Why is that?
So you're saying your survival instinct would have allowed you to move/react fast enough to get your face out of the way while Cabrera was not able to react fast enough to get his face out of the way?
3/26/2014 1:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/26/2014 1:25:00 PM (view original):

YES YOU ASKED THE QUESTION AGAIN!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Because the scenario where a hard hit ground ball takes a bad hop in such a way where it's aimed directly at your face, where it happens close enough to you and fast enough that you can't react in time to avoid it, is quite rare.

ASK IT AGAIN!!!!!
3/26/2014 1:26 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/26/2014 1:25:00 PM (view original):
I'd say reaction time and survival instincts, in the way you're describing it, is the same thing.
I'd disagree.   Do you think Miggy wanted to get hit in the face?
3/26/2014 1:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...61|62|63|64|65...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.