Scouting Problem That Needs To Be Addressed Topic

I've been recruiting a big man, and in my efforts to find out more about his potential I have sent him four scouting trips.

In these four trips, these are the attributes my scout has told me more about:

Ball handling (all 4 times)
Stamina (all 4 times)
Passing (3 times)
FT Shooting (2 times)
Speed (1 time)
Low Post (1 time)
Shot Blocking (1 time)

Two of the emails from my scout were contained the same exact information, and I have yet to get anything on athleticism, defense, or rebounding, the three main things I look for in bigs.

He went from undecided after a few cycles to considering another team by the time I got my fourth eval back. Not only is it annoying to me that I get back information that I don't want, I'd argue that it's unfair if another coach gets back different information with the same (or less) amount of scouting trips, which very well could be the case.

So please, WIS, either let us have some say in what our scouts look for, or make sure no attribute gets repeated before we are told about them all. Nobody should be put an advantage or disadvantage in recruiting for something so arbitrary as this.
2/12/2014 6:45 PM
Isn't that what future stars is all about? If you pay for scouting then you technically don't have to take a scouting trip unless you want to find out meaningless info like if the guy drinks, is a ladies man, or returns a found $20 bill, or other stupid stuff like that. It is nice to know if he could be an all american or just a contributor.

I know it's very frustrating to NOT do the future stars thing and scout and get repeat info.
2/12/2014 8:00 PM
Posted by dshook30 on 2/12/2014 8:00:00 PM (view original):
Isn't that what future stars is all about? If you pay for scouting then you technically don't have to take a scouting trip unless you want to find out meaningless info like if the guy drinks, is a ladies man, or returns a found $20 bill, or other stupid stuff like that. It is nice to know if he could be an all american or just a contributor.

I know it's very frustrating to NOT do the future stars thing and scout and get repeat info.
Or, it would be nice to know information about high-highs when you're choosing between two similar guys for one spot...
2/12/2014 8:07 PM
Posted by backboy13 on 2/12/2014 8:07:00 PM (view original):

Or, it would be nice to know information about high-highs when you're choosing between two similar guys for one spot...
This. Right. Here.

I have been a big proponent if giving coaches an option to recruit specific attributes, something along the lines of a scouting trip can either give info on 1) 4 random attributes or 2) 2 attributes chosen by the coach.
2/12/2014 8:16 PM
It's also really important for international players. Scouting trips can get really expensive quickly in that case. 
2/12/2014 8:30 PM
Posted by backboy13 on 2/12/2014 8:07:00 PM (view original):

That would be sooooooo awesome. Those "false" blues are the worst
2/12/2014 8:43 PM
I think the vast majority of players would like this change. Most people prefer for the game to be less random and more user controlled.

2/12/2014 8:58 PM
I've proposed a "player-roles" scouting trip that would allow coaches to tip the scales in favor of core categories (without absolutely guaranteeing results) several times.  I've been stunned that the idea gets no support.   WIS already installed player-roles as a tool (and it's pretty much useless now).  Allowing a coach to send an assistant with instructions (weighting responses roughly in line with user defined categories) would dramatically improve the results and should be easy for WIS to install.   It would just need to cost a bit more than a regular scouting trip.  
2/12/2014 9:50 PM
I NEVER read the scouting reports, I just issue them to the point that I'll get the guy to sign.
2/13/2014 12:30 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 2/13/2014 12:30:00 AM (view original):
I NEVER read the scouting reports, I just issue them to the point that I'll get the guy to sign.
You probably should, they give you an indication of how much a player can improve, for instance the difference between a guy improving 20 or 30+ is in those scouting reports. They help you not get burned by guys who come in with high potential that moves to average after increasing 5. 
2/13/2014 2:06 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 2/13/2014 12:30:00 AM (view original):
that is really stupid. low high being 21-27 is not nearly as good as high high at 28+, especially for lp and per where +50 is not out of the norm and +80 is possible.
2/13/2014 2:15 AM
Doing scouting reports and not reading them is silly. Your missing out on a ton of information. There have been plenty of guys I have decided not to recruit because they didn't have enough hi/hi's and plenty of other guys I would have never recruited if it wasn't for their hi/hi's. It's a valuable tool that you're leaving on the table. 
2/13/2014 7:55 AM
Colonels is either being intentionally stupid or just letting his latent stupidity shine through. Either way, he's stupid.
2/13/2014 8:00 AM
I think some randomness is good, but I think the scouting reports should be set so that each report covers skills not covered in prior reports.  It may take 2 or 3 evals to learn what you want, but you should get all skills with a few evals.
2/13/2014 11:23 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 2/13/2014 11:23:00 AM (view original):
I think some randomness is good, but I think the scouting reports should be set so that each report covers skills not covered in prior reports.  It may take 2 or 3 evals to learn what you want, but you should get all skills with a few evals.

Yea, seriously. How quickly would a head coach fire his scout if he went to watch a guard play 5 times and not get any comment about how he handles the basketball?

2/13/2014 12:11 PM
123 Next ▸
Scouting Problem That Needs To Be Addressed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.