Hitters who pitched Topic

I apologize in advance if this has been answered elsewhere, but I can never find what I'm looking for using the forum search feature...

I don't use old-time players much, but I'm currently entering a league where I chose 1897 Jack Stivetts as an outfielder.  After entering my team I noticed on my team stats page that he has real-life stats for pitching (roughly 150 IP, not good, but comparable to the guy I drafted to be my Long Relief B).  I'm guessing, given the nature of the early days of baseball, there are other similar examples.

My question is, if there are no other pitchers available, will the sim use a "hitter" such as Stivetts as a pitcher?  And if so, will his performance be based on his RL stats?
2/13/2014 11:47 AM (edited)
I have never seen a hitter with pitching stats enter the game as a pitcher.  I don't think it's possible.

It works in the opposite of course, where pitchers will be used as pinch-hitters if nobody else is available, but not in the direction you are asking.
2/13/2014 11:52 AM
Posted by skunk206 on 2/13/2014 11:52:00 AM (view original):
I have never seen a hitter with pitching stats enter the game as a pitcher.  I don't think it's possible.

It works in the opposite of course, where pitchers will be used as pinch-hitters if nobody else is available, but not in the direction you are asking.
This makes sense; otherwise, the player's salary would take into account the ability to pitch, but I was just checking to be sure.  Thanks.
2/13/2014 11:59 AM
I haven't seen this in a long time so perhaps it's been changed, but I recall a game years ago where my last available pitcher entered the game very tired.  He was "injured" multiple times but was never pulled.  

Which to me indicates there would never be a situation where there was no other pitcher available.  If it's your last pitcher in the game, he's not coming out no matter what.
2/13/2014 2:23 PM (edited)
There used to be a glitch where you could dump all but one pitcher to AAA or waive them completely.  The sim would use bench hitters to pitch, and those hitters were crazy good on the mound.  The glitch was quickly caught.  I could have won 130+games had I been able to go the entire season like that.  
2/19/2014 2:51 AM
Hitters who pitched Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.