I am pretty new to playing SLB - I have learned pretty much by watching other players. I have seen a lot of winners use Vince Coleman.

I have him on my team, but he isn't performing well (compared to what I have seen) - I had him in the leadoff spot, but he wasn't getting on base, so I dropped him to the 7th/8th spot. At this point in the season (21 games??), Ryan Sandberg has more SB's than Vince.

Thoughts?
2/14/2014 6:01 PM
What year of Vince Coleman are you using?

Here is the thing about Coleman, and about all the great SB threats.....In theme leagues and others, most owners are inclined to spend the extra money on B+ arms or better.  So you're mostly looking at teams with awesome catcher arms, which really skews the sb success rates.

My advice is that if you use Coleman, use the years where he had the highest OBP.  Also, gravitate away from the crazy base stealers unless you know that the rules of the league are restrictive enough to force other owners to use catchers with sub par arms.  I regret I currently have a speedy SB team with Coleman and Willie Wilson who have incredible SB success rates, yet they are being caught or prevented from doing as well as their actual stats would suggest by an army of johnny Benchs and other strong catcher arms.

Base stealers who are only successful a little more than half the time are better off not stealing at all, so be careful how you use them.  In most cases I think your money will be better spent on a better defender, or a player with higher obp.  But if you're playing in a park like Busch or Petco where its hard to hit homers, base stealers can be a better alternative than power.

2/14/2014 7:51 PM (edited)
1987 Vince Coleman

Thanks for the insight
2/14/2014 10:51 PM
Make sure you have his base stealing setting at 5 in your advance settings.  This will have him make more attempts to steal.  Also, when considering basestealers, try to get guys who had at least a .70% success rate in RL. 
2/16/2014 1:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.