I'm sorry if I misinformed you.  I was referring to my Pitchers!!   Never even thought about looking at my hitters BB's.   :-)  Those don't bother me.  It's those damn walks issued that gets me.   LOL
3/3/2014 7:21 PM
NOT, in a million years would I have known I was a Crazy Stengel disciple, or that he is possibly my disciple. Um...learn sumpin' new every day I guess.

I do think it's "crazy" that people call me "crazy" names over my style of play in a game. I have never broke any rules and have even helped WIS close loopholes. Maybe I should post this in Crazy's "Believe it, or not" thread, but I have let Admin know exactly how they could kill the "Fatigue Strategy." But they chose to ignore me and go in an opposite direction, PLUS adopt an approach that have cause many to leave this game. (see JohnGPF)

I have long said WIS is not a good baseball SIM, but a very fun game.

Back in the dice-ball days, pre-computer games. I re-designed a set of APBA boards that did away with much of what we called APBA ball. My boards became very popular in the community. I would love to see this game re-designed right. But its not going to happen.

I play very little anymore. I play WIS as a game, not a SIM. If you think I'm some evil person, so be it. In the past I was very much on board with helping people learn this game. But over the years it has worn on me being labeled as the bad guy, I've backed off. Throw in some upset drunk posts of mine....well there's the hate I guess.

Best of luck to all. WIS SIM believers do yourself a favor and stay in the progs and themes. I try and stay in the open styles leagues now (when I play) so as not to "ruin" it for others.
3/4/2014 3:28 PM
BUMP
10/22/2017 1:00 AM
Let me ask this. Is it "exploiting" the rules and getting so called "free" PAs and IP (i.e. more than what they paid for) when an owner plays his superstar hitters and pitchers down to 85-90%? Just wondering!!!!
10/22/2017 3:11 PM
Me personally, I extremely rarely allow any of my regular hitters or pitchers to play when they get below 100%. That's just my preference. But I don't knock or fault another owner when they play their gus down to 85-90%. This is a GAME, not RL baseball. And every owner has the right to run their team however they see fit...even if others don't agree with how other teams are run.
10/22/2017 3:18 PM
What you described, mixtroy, is an action that impacts everybody else in the league equally. Where I believe the line should be drawn is on actions that impact others, or can impact others, disproportionately. For example, when somebody pitches a 200K starter, they're really not trying to win (yes, they can claim that a 200K starter can put in a good performance, but that's just rationalizing their choice to not try very much to win). That 200K game has an impact on others. And how can we ever know whether the 200K start was done to benefit a friend?
10/22/2017 8:29 PM
Bribar, whether you realize it or not, but more than a few very successful owners routinely start $200K pitchers in the first series of a season. Some owners also start them in interleague games. And then you have instances where a couple of extra inning games has wrecked your bullpen and out of necessity, an owner will start a $200K scrub at max PC to get their fatigued bullpen back in order. There's different reasons why owners start $200K scrubs and i have no problem with how another owner runs his or her team, nor do i depend on other teams or how other owners run their team. As long as MY team takes care of business when it needs to, i couldn't care less about which team benefited from a $200K pitcher start. Besides, there's no rule that says $200K scrubs can only be used as mopups, especially when several of them were starting pitchers and pitched 7-9 innings per game in real life. While i understand your frustration, but it's part of the game and is what it is. And if you feel that strongly against it, then you should avoid OLs.
10/22/2017 9:58 PM
And in response to your comment when an owner starts a $200K pitcher "they're really not trying to win", I'll say this. I wanna win all 162 games but sometimes situations come up when i may have to use a $200K pitcher for a start or two in the middle of the season. That doesn't mean that I'm TRYING to lose that game. I'm realistic enough to know that my chances of winning that game are very slim, but sometimes you get surprised by a $200K scrub. I've even seen them throw complete game shutouts.
10/22/2017 10:08 PM
Here's a question for you Bribar. Suppose an owner who had first place in his division locked down decided to rest his starting pitchers for the playoffs by starting 2 $200K scrubs against your team in the last two games of the season which helped YOUR team make the playoffs, and your team went on to win the WS, would you decline the championship due to an unfair 'competitive advantage' which benefited YOU??? Just wondering. Lol
10/22/2017 10:16 PM
Posted by Bribar on 10/22/2017 8:29:00 PM (view original):
What you described, mixtroy, is an action that impacts everybody else in the league equally. Where I believe the line should be drawn is on actions that impact others, or can impact others, disproportionately. For example, when somebody pitches a 200K starter, they're really not trying to win (yes, they can claim that a 200K starter can put in a good performance, but that's just rationalizing their choice to not try very much to win). That 200K game has an impact on others. And how can we ever know whether the 200K start was done to benefit a friend?
For example, when somebody pitches a 200K starter, they're really not trying to win (yes, they can claim that a 200K starter can put in a good performance, but that's just rationalizing their choice to not try very much to win)

So what you're saying is, that no one should ever start a 200K pitcher? They should only be used in relief, and presumably only in blow out losses? Maybe WIS shouldn't allow owners to draft 200K pitchers? Because some owners (those without a "moral compass" for example) are sure to use these pitchers in unethical ways.

And how can we ever know whether the 200K start was done to benefit a friend?

Good point! But does it work the other way as well? Let's say I have one pitcher who's far and away the best pitcher on my team. How can you be sure I'm not starting him disproportionately against my enemies, and skipping his starts against my friends? Maybe WIS shouldn't allow owners to draft really good starting pitchers? Please advise, Bribar.
10/23/2017 2:39 AM
SIM innings are all equivalent. Not in quality, but in usability.

Think I've been proving that repeatedly now that about half my teams use tandem rotations, even when not strictly necessary by original design/purpose -- a thing almost never done in real life.

I think the game is better for this option/management style. At minimum, it increases the usability of certain pitchers, which otherwise would be in a total IP dead zone.
10/23/2017 6:38 PM (edited)
Posted by mixtroy on 10/22/2017 10:16:00 PM (view original):
Here's a question for you Bribar. Suppose an owner who had first place in his division locked down decided to rest his starting pitchers for the playoffs by starting 2 $200K scrubs against your team in the last two games of the season which helped YOUR team make the playoffs, and your team went on to win the WS, would you decline the championship due to an unfair 'competitive advantage' which benefited YOU??? Just wondering. Lol
It’s all strategy. In one of my leagues, there were two teams fighting for the last WC spot going into the last series of the year. One, which has dominated me, and the other, I swept them during the season. So I started my scrubs the last series so he’d win the WC spot, then I swept him in the first round. Anything to get me a Dub
10/24/2017 5:02 AM
Have a poor team with your 1st purchase that loses 100+ games, and gets repeatedly hammered through the usage of "non-baseball logic" strategies by scores of 27-1, or 70-1, or with several 9th inning meltdowns of 7 or more runs to lose a game that was seeming "locked up" as a win,---or any of a myriad of other seemingly non real-life type occurances, and you likely have a former newbie and former customer who may NEVER try the more realistic outcome of progressive leagues containing rosters of AVERAGE (not all all-star) players.

So you're complaint is that rookies don't dominate enough? Loopholes or not, I think every new owner should expect to lose 100+ games with their first team, if they're totally new to the SIM and playing experienced owners.

I think this whole debate is ridiculous anyway. There are many MLB teams who have a huge gap between starters and backups at various positions, and sometimes those backups have to play. Likewise, some teams have awful 5th starters and long relievers, and those guys occasionally get starts to give the remaining rotation members extra rest. Most teams start a crappy pitcher 3-5 times per season and send him out to "take one for the team" to give everyone else a breather.
10/24/2017 9:49 AM
Frances Martes logged 54.1 IP and started 4 games for the Astros this season (5.80 ERA, 1.51 WHIP)

Julio Urias started 5 games for the Dodgers this season (5.40 ERA, 1.59 WHIP)

Brett Anderson started 6 games for the Cubs this season (8.08 ERA, 2.09 WHIP). Jen-Ho Tseng also started a game for them, giving up 5 runs in 6 innings.

Jacob Turner logged 39 IP and 2 starts for the Nats (5.08 ERA, 1.49 WHIP)

Kyle Kendrick made 2 starts for the Red Sox and gave up 12 runs in 8.1 IP.

Brandon Shipley made 3 starts and 10 appearances for the D'Backs (5.76 ERA, 1.84 WHIP)

The list goes on and on and on. Maybe people need to watch a little more MLB and get a sense of "realism".
10/24/2017 9:59 AM (edited)
Posted by d_rock97 on 10/24/2017 5:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mixtroy on 10/22/2017 10:16:00 PM (view original):
It’s all strategy. In one of my leagues, there were two teams fighting for the last WC spot going into the last series of the year. One, which has dominated me, and the other, I swept them during the season. So I started my scrubs the last series so he’d win the WC spot, then I swept him in the first round. Anything to get me a Dub
I've seen other owners post about doing this as well, owners I like and respect, but to me this is going too far. I could never bench players who don't need rest just to give my team a better shot at losing. On top of everything else, playoffs are such a crapshoot anyway that the team you dominated in the regular season could easily upset you in a best of 5 or 7. Not worth it, in my opinion.
10/24/2017 10:13 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.