Part of the fun of this game is that there are many different ways to win. If someone wants to do a deadball strategy, and they can make that work, good for them! If someone wants to try a fatigue strategy, go for it! Whatever a player thinks will help them get the win, I say they should give it a try--with the exception of collusion, and I've rarely seen anything that makes me even suspect that.

Over the history of this game, it has been updated to eliminate certain loopholes and make it closer to real baseball. Maybe (though I'm not holding my breath) this new management will find ways to improve the game to bring it even closer to a real baseball sim. Even then, there will always be some level of non-realistic strategies being used, since we all know baseball is much more than the numbers game it is on WIS.

To me, when I see a strategy being used that irritates me, I use that as more motivation to try to find a way to beat that strategy. Is everyone nerfing your power hitters with deadball pitchers? Spend your money on OBP and fast runners. Is everyone using high OBP and steals? Overload your team with low walk pitchers and A+ catchers. How do you do that against those who "abuse" the fatigue system? Figuring that out is one of the fun and challenging parts of the game. In the end, I think the best overall strategy is to make your team better than anyone else's so you don't have to worry about whether they throw a few games here and there!
10/24/2017 1:22 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 10/24/2017 10:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 10/24/2017 5:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mixtroy on 10/22/2017 10:16:00 PM (view original):
Here's a question for you Bribar. Suppose an owner who had first place in his division locked down decided to rest his starting pitchers for the playoffs by starting 2 $200K scrubs against your team in the last two games of the season which helped YOUR team make the playoffs, and your team went on to win the WS, would you decline the championship due to an unfair 'competitive advantage' which benefited YOU??? Just wondering. Lol
It’s all strategy. In one of my leagues, there were two teams fighting for the last WC spot going into the last series of the year. One, which has dominated me, and the other, I swept them during the season. So I started my scrubs the last series so he’d win the WC spot, then I swept him in the first round. Anything to get me a Dub
I've seen other owners post about doing this as well, owners I like and respect, but to me this is going too far. I could never bench players who don't need rest just to give my team a better shot at losing. On top of everything else, playoffs are such a crapshoot anyway that the team you dominated in the regular season could easily upset you in a best of 5 or 7. Not worth it, in my opinion.
Well yes and no. I’d much rather be facing Mark Buerhle, Javier Vazquez, and Esteban Loaiza in a BO5 than Mathewson and McGinnity. Made a business decision and decided that since I have some power over who makes it, I’d rather face the weaker pitchers, and I did
10/24/2017 1:47 PM
Regarding the notion of "realistic" vs. "unrealistic," it's unrealistic to believe that real-life Major League teams don't take advantage of loopholes to increase their odds of success.

Hell, for three years of dismal results coupled with savvy drafting, the Houston Astros were rewarded this year with a trip to the World Series.

10/24/2017 5:33 PM
◂ Prev 12345

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.