Frauds try to be psychologists, fail miserably Topic

Okay I know I am in the minority about this, but I'll throw it out there anyway. I do not like the idea, from a game playing point of view, of allowing man defense to set defensive match ups. I prefer forcing the coaches to do research to see if the opposition changes their lineup or keeps it the same. I think if this was allowed in the game it would make man defense way to strong a defense in comparison to the others.

Playing devils advocate for a second, you want the sim to be more realistic and intuitive that y don't want your player playing that many straight minutes or to that level of fatigue because it doesn't fit your needs or wants, but want if that is exactly what I want it to do. You may calling it gaming the system, but it's really not. It's figuring out how the sim works and making decisions with that information that makes the sim run your team the way you want it to. When you give up trying to force your thoughts of how it should work and learn to work the engine you'll discover you can get the engine to do exactly what you want it to do and then you I'll have an even better advantage of the other less intelligent coaches in this game.

Seriously, set it to fatigue and accept the help to get the engine to run the team the way you want. You're not wrong in your assumptions about the sim or how it should work you're just not using the right commands. There are plenty of good coaches still willing to help you learn the engine for what it is not what you want it to be
2/17/2014 12:22 PM
On the man defense, frankly that makes no sense. It's the same thing only you don't have to do crazy unrealistic things (like changing people's position every game) in order for it to happen. IRL it happens *all the time*. No reason for it not to be in the game at all.

Obviously it is exactly what the sim wanted to do in at least one instance (last night). I hadn't seen that despite playing similar depth charts earlier in the season. I'm not really that interested in trying to decode a flawed engine. I really don't have that kind of time either. 

I guess my issue with minutes is that even if yes it's trying ot get a certain number of minutes, I don't think that means that you just don't care about anything else. The sim has to be using some logic beyond that for when it gets those guys their minutes, and I don't know what logic that would be other than when players are getting tired and need to rest. Is there another option? Random? 

Along that line...say you mess up and you put a guy that's a 4th team sub for like 19-23 minutes. Will the sim play that guy the whole second half, assuming that he didn't play or didn't play much in the first? That's what I would think it would do...not that that would be a desirable result.
2/17/2014 1:18 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/17/2014 1:18:00 PM (view original):
On the man defense, frankly that makes no sense. It's the same thing only you don't have to do crazy unrealistic things (like changing people's position every game) in order for it to happen. IRL it happens *all the time*. No reason for it not to be in the game at all.

Obviously it is exactly what the sim wanted to do in at least one instance (last night). I hadn't seen that despite playing similar depth charts earlier in the season. I'm not really that interested in trying to decode a flawed engine. I really don't have that kind of time either. 

I guess my issue with minutes is that even if yes it's trying ot get a certain number of minutes, I don't think that means that you just don't care about anything else. The sim has to be using some logic beyond that for when it gets those guys their minutes, and I don't know what logic that would be other than when players are getting tired and need to rest. Is there another option? Random? 

Along that line...say you mess up and you put a guy that's a 4th team sub for like 19-23 minutes. Will the sim play that guy the whole second half, assuming that he didn't play or didn't play much in the first? That's what I would think it would do...not that that would be a desirable result.
I haven't used minutes for a long time but I believe it tries to satisfy your starter's minutes first.  If you had a 4th team sub at 19-23 minutes, I don't believe he'd get anywhere near those minutes
2/17/2014 1:23 PM
Interesting. So if you underset minutes it kind of does something like this?

1. Minutes allotted to starters.
2. Minutes allotted to reserves (in order of placement on the reserve list as well?).
3. Minutes not allotted (with first preference for starters as well, I think has been said here).

All good information, but I don't think it addresses why th ecomputer decided to leave Bellamy in for such an excessive stretch (excessive by pretty much any definition) in the first half, when other options were available.
2/17/2014 3:52 PM
For anyone still following this story, I adjusted so that no one is the #2 at a position more than once, but a couple are #3 at some spots and #2 at one also. A couple of the #2s are in name only though, set for 4-8 minutes. Maybe that'll keep the computer from going crazy.

We just beat the same team on the road 2 games ago, so hopefully I remembered what I did there well enough haha.

2/18/2014 2:00 AM
And the result is a massive screw job. Fitting end to the season. 
2/18/2014 2:26 AM
Great coaching when you win, massive screw job when you lose.  That about sum up the season?
2/18/2014 2:29 AM
Up 48-39 with 7 to go, Guy we had in our pocket for 73 minutes (2 for 9, 5 points combined; not that the whole team wasn't pretty much in our pockets at that point) suddenly went nuts against my two best defenders, the two best on the court and two of the best in the conference. Then the sim did a couple of stupid things strategically to prevent any chance of getting a legitimate shot up to win in regulation. 

Wasn't really any issues with fatigue, that was actually the best it's been in several games. Just with the sim deciding we couldn't win. 

2/18/2014 2:53 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/18/2014 2:53:00 AM (view original):
Up 48-39 with 7 to go, Guy we had in our pocket for 73 minutes (2 for 9, 5 points combined; not that the whole team wasn't pretty much in our pockets at that point) suddenly went nuts against my two best defenders, the two best on the court and two of the best in the conference. Then the sim did a couple of stupid things strategically to prevent any chance of getting a legitimate shot up to win in regulation. 

Wasn't really any issues with fatigue, that was actually the best it's been in several games. Just with the sim deciding we couldn't win. 

Are you saying Matthew Bond went nuts against your two best defenders?
2/18/2014 5:13 AM
Bond scored 4 baskets , worth 8 points, in 7 minutes
2/18/2014 5:41 AM
Etta, have you had a single loss you find acceptable and not a result of the computer plotting against you while cackling manically?
2/18/2014 6:11 AM
I mean if it was some sort of systemic flaw, you would think that at least once it would have screwed your opponent, yet amazingly it seems to have solely gone against you, in every single loss but not for you in one single win because .. what ... It doesn't like you? Has Skynet been born? Has the sim achieved sentience?

2/18/2014 6:15 AM
Posted by zbrent716 on 2/18/2014 5:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/18/2014 2:53:00 AM (view original):

Are you saying Matthew Bond went nuts against your two best defenders?
I would expect Bond with his superior IQ in their offense to do reasonably well against Lewis - with a C IQ in the defense being played.

Of course, lots of other factors also and one cannot say anything meaningful about what will happen on one or a few possessions.
2/18/2014 9:48 AM
Yeah well he hadn't for 70+ minutes up until then. He had been pretty well useless, in fact. Which is what I expected because Lewis and Doe were on him and are good defenders. 

IQ is a load of horseshit. It should be taken out of the game, especially if it's going to work like that...as sort of a superman mode like when a guy would get on fire on NBA Jam.
2/18/2014 12:05 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 2/18/2014 5:41:00 AM (view original):
Bond scored 4 baskets , worth 8 points, in 7 minutes
He assisted on their other bucket too for 3. With Ott as the less rested team, with the best defenders on either team playing him. We played them two games ago at Otterbein and he made one shot. He had made one shot up until the last 7 min in the tournament game. 
2/18/2014 12:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...20 Next ▸
Frauds try to be psychologists, fail miserably Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.