Frauds try to be psychologists, fail miserably Topic

Posted by ettaexpress on 2/18/2014 12:06:00 PM (view original):
Yeah well he hadn't for 70+ minutes up until then. He had been pretty well useless, in fact. Which is what I expected because Lewis and Doe were on him and are good defenders. 

IQ is a load of horseshit. It should be taken out of the game, especially if it's going to work like that...as sort of a superman mode like when a guy would get on fire on NBA Jam.
One can disagree with IQ of course, but it exists in the SIM.

I'm wondering how it was that he didnt do more previously.  Randomness, the SIM decided that he should have a cold spell? Hard to know, but for me the surprise is his non productive prior performance.
2/18/2014 12:19 PM
The dude scored 8 points!  It's below his season average and nowhere close to his season high.  He's not a bad scoring option, considering how terrible the rest of that team is. 

You think it's perfectly reasonable that he shot 1/5 in the first meeting and crazy unreasonable that he shot 4/7 in the 2nd game?  If you combine the two games, it's still well below his season average FG%.  I'd say you're about an average opponent for their schedule.

Do you really think just because you put your best defender on someone that they'll shoot 2/12 or something every time?

2/18/2014 12:19 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by killbatman on 2/18/2014 12:19:00 PM (view original):
The dude scored 8 points!  It's below his season average and nowhere close to his season high.  He's not a bad scoring option, considering how terrible the rest of that team is. 

You think it's perfectly reasonable that he shot 1/5 in the first meeting and crazy unreasonable that he shot 4/7 in the 2nd game?  If you combine the two games, it's still well below his season average FG%.  I'd say you're about an average opponent for their schedule.

Do you really think just because you put your best defender on someone that they'll shoot 2/12 or something every time?

He wasn't even getting shots. He was 2 for 9 in 73 min up to that point. So he was getting an *attempt* once about every 8 minutes. So what I think was unreasonable was him just taking over the game against the best defenders on either team.

I know it's impossible for some people to admit here, but some of my players aren't that bad in certain areas. Lewis has done a pretty good job on scorers most of the year.

2/18/2014 12:30 PM
So-so scorer hits 4 shots, 4 point underdog loses by 3 in overtime.  Stop the presses.
2/18/2014 12:36 PM
Maybe the problem in your last game is your PG going 1-10 from the field which includes 1-7 from 3 pt. land...
2/18/2014 12:38 PM
It doesn't matter if your defender is the best on the floor, in the game, or in the conference. All that matters is how good the defender compared t o the offensive player. Your sf, is pretty close to as good as your opponents sf.

You don't seem very good at judging your own talent. You were the minus in that matchup. His sf was suppose to hit some shots.
2/18/2014 12:39 PM
So do you have any problem with the times your players overachieve, or only when it happens against you?
2/18/2014 12:52 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/18/2014 12:30:00 PM (view original):

He wasn't even getting shots. He was 2 for 9 in 73 min up to that point. So he was getting an *attempt* once about every 8 minutes. So what I think was unreasonable was him just taking over the game against the best defenders on either team.

I know it's impossible for some people to admit here, but some of my players aren't that bad in certain areas. Lewis has done a pretty good job on scorers most of the year.

It's already been explained to you multiple times, but there is no value in isolating small segments like you're doing.  Using the first 73 minutes as the baseline and complaining that the next 7 minutes differed is complete garbage, statistically speaking.  You can find a "disappointment" like that in EVERY SINGLE GAME.
2/18/2014 2:06 PM
Posted by pdub5813 on 2/18/2014 12:38:00 PM (view original):
Maybe the problem in your last game is your PG going 1-10 from the field which includes 1-7 from 3 pt. land...
Doesn't really explain defense though.
2/18/2014 2:12 PM
It explains losing a game by 3 pts.
2/18/2014 2:18 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/18/2014 12:39:00 PM (view original):
It doesn't matter if your defender is the best on the floor, in the game, or in the conference. All that matters is how good the defender compared t o the offensive player. Your sf, is pretty close to as good as your opponents sf.

You don't seem very good at judging your own talent. You were the minus in that matchup. His sf was suppose to hit some shots.
I disagree with your assessment. So does 9/10 (or more) of the data available. 

Lewis has the 4th highest DF in the conference, and is one of only 3 players in the conference with 60 A and 60 DEF or greater (interestingly, Bond is another). There are 10 total players with 60+ DF in the conference.

Doe is 6th in DE, and on the high end in SP among those with 60+. 

There are 25 players with 66+ LP. Bond is not among them and he has no perimeter game.

I don't know in what world that equates to Bond, a mediocre one dimensional scorer, being better than Lewis. Lewis is one of the best defenders in the conference. Bond is a single digit scorer in almost 30 mpg against his entire schedule.

It's really annoying how everyone just automatically assumes my players should be terrible and operates from that narrative without doing due diligence to find out whether or not that's truly the case.
2/18/2014 2:24 PM
Posted by pdub5813 on 2/18/2014 2:18:00 PM (view original):
It explains losing a game by 3 pts.
It doesn't explain Bond going off, which is the entire reason for the loss (well that and the computer is terrible in end game situations). Do try to keep up. 
2/18/2014 2:25 PM
Posted by killbatman on 2/18/2014 2:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/18/2014 12:30:00 PM (view original):

It's already been explained to you multiple times, but there is no value in isolating small segments like you're doing.  Using the first 73 minutes as the baseline and complaining that the next 7 minutes differed is complete garbage, statistically speaking.  You can find a "disappointment" like that in EVERY SINGLE GAME.
Funny because that's the first time I've seen a mediocre player that was completely locked up for practically two games suddenly become superman in all the games I've played this season.
2/18/2014 2:26 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/18/2014 2:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/18/2014 12:39:00 PM (view original):

I disagree with your assessment. So does 9/10 (or more) of the data available. 

Lewis has the 4th highest DF in the conference, and is one of only 3 players in the conference with 60 A and 60 DEF or greater (interestingly, Bond is another). There are 10 total players with 60+ DF in the conference.

Doe is 6th in DE, and on the high end in SP among those with 60+. 

There are 25 players with 66+ LP. Bond is not among them and he has no perimeter game.

I don't know in what world that equates to Bond, a mediocre one dimensional scorer, being better than Lewis. Lewis is one of the best defenders in the conference. Bond is a single digit scorer in almost 30 mpg against his entire schedule.

It's really annoying how everyone just automatically assumes my players should be terrible and operates from that narrative without doing due diligence to find out whether or not that's truly the case.
Although you dislike IQ, as the game works each of those ratings needs to be read in the context of IQ.  The opponent is at A-.  The defender is a C.

Also worth noting that he has a pair of A IQ guards running the offense - and one of his buckets came off a pass that pbp flagged as good.

If one is seeking to understand how a guy like Bond scores 8 against guys with good ratings, the answer likely lies in IQ.  Which I know you dislike.  It is an answer, I think the answer, even if you dislike it.

I dont think the SIM changed his performance - he happened to get his points at an inconvenient time.  his overall performance looks like it reflects his ratings and IQ and team ratings and IQ.
2/18/2014 2:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...20 Next ▸
Frauds try to be psychologists, fail miserably Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.