What are some of your HD bad habits Topic

I don't mean like "I check my HD team every 15 minutes"

I mean things that may hurt your teams but you do them anyway.

I'll start, I have three

1. I'll purposely recruit low durability guys because in my mind theyre better value. Even if they're slightly less talented (potential included)
- This is probably a hold over from when there was no potential so recruiting a guy with low durability meant he was less likely to be seen.
2. I recruit low work ethic guys and see high work ethic as a bad thing
3. I recruit at least one player who has some wacky ratings that doesn't fit a position for fun.
2/19/2014 12:07 PM
I think 1 is actually a good habit -  I do same - I mean I don't seek out low durability guys but durability is not on my radar at all.

1. I don't gameplan for certain games where I'm a serious underdog... I just say screw it - play.

2. Sometimes I have forgotten about WE and signed guys I thought were excellent with ease then I notice 8 WE after they sign and I'm just like damn....

3. I forget to set my practice minutes after everyone reports ---- I get that email from the asst coach a lot asking why my kids are practicing ---
2/19/2014 12:17 PM

I stick with a starter too long into the season, even when it's apparent that his backup is performing better.

I sometimes forget that I've promised minutes to a freshman, until I get that whiny Email from him. 
2/19/2014 12:31 PM
I'll still put minutes into maxed out ratings just because I hate the thought of a rating driopping 1 point.

I try to keep my GPA's around 3.0 because I still get scared when they drop to 2.5.
2/19/2014 12:50 PM
Posted by tannermcc on 2/19/2014 12:07:00 PM (view original):
I don't mean like "I check my HD team every 15 minutes"

I mean things that may hurt your teams but you do them anyway.

I'll start, I have three

1. I'll purposely recruit low durability guys because in my mind theyre better value. Even if they're slightly less talented (potential included)
- This is probably a hold over from when there was no potential so recruiting a guy with low durability meant he was less likely to be seen.
3. I recruit at least one player who has some wacky ratings that doesn't fit a position for fun.
Number three is not neccesarily a bad thing. Some of my better players have come from doing this.
2/19/2014 12:55 PM
I can get in a rut where I recruit the low work ethic guys who are really nice to have as seniors, but a pain in the *** until then.
That too.
2/19/2014 12:58 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 2/19/2014 12:31:00 PM (view original):

I stick with a starter too long into the season, even when it's apparent that his backup is performing better.

I sometimes forget that I've promised minutes to a freshman, until I get that whiny Email from him. 
Sometimes the backup is performing better only because he's playing against backups.

My bad habits, I often forget to schedule until the very last minute.

I also tend to not pay close attention to a team unless it's my current favorite team to coach, it's a contender, or have a lot of promising players that makes me think they'll contend in a couple of seasons.
2/19/2014 1:07 PM
1. I don't put enough minutes into SH.  I probably lose a kid to grades once every 4-5 seasons.   On at least two occasions it has cost me at least one win in the NT.
2. I don't write down the High Highs.   If I would just note stuff about players, I am sure I could maximize player development better.
3. I forgot to recruit scorers.   
4.   I fall in love with a guy because he is good at everything and I think to myself, "He'll play SF", then I end up with 4 of them.
2/19/2014 1:17 PM
my worst habit is forgetting to schedule, sometimes 2 seasons in a row. really puts a damper on things. its probably been years since i scheduled 4 seasons in a row anywhere, and a good 25% of those are, oh ****, its 11:30 the last day of the CT, i better find some sims! i've tried and tried, setting calendar alerts and alarms, but i just can't kick this bad habit. its like smack, only worse.

also ive gotten better at it, but i used to use the aggressive study hall approach (none) and then forget to check midterms to adjust. that wasn't particularly helpful either...

the final one id put is that i generally promise starts all around to get people considering cheaply. rarely i will forget to undo this before signings and then have promised starts to every single player. i've only done it maybe 4-5 times but its so brutal when i do, i had to include it...
2/19/2014 1:25 PM (edited)
I throw the closest thing within reaching distance every other game when my best defensive player picks up two fouls in the first 45 seconds.
2/19/2014 1:24 PM
Panicking after signings start if I don't have a clear option on the board...I often settle for "best available" and get a career backup rather than showing more patience to see what else drops in the next 24 hours. I need to remember that career backups can always be found the last cycle, so there's no danger.

Paying too much attention to potentials and not enough to team roles...can't count the number of times I have gone to set depth charts after recruiting and only then discovered I have an athletic, quick team of people who can't shoot the three or (worse) can't pass the ball to someone in the same uniform. A team passing rating in the mid 20s sucks.

Relying too heavily on my positioning formula and forgetting to check it against the behavior of the opposing coach.

Staying up way too often to check game sims. They really do stay there until morning I am told...
2/19/2014 8:47 PM (edited)
I recruit only states touching my schools state when i could miss a future all american a few states over but i like to save traveling money by recruiting local
2/19/2014 1:48 PM
Build teams filled with athleticism and defense, but can't do much else...
2/19/2014 1:56 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/19/2014 1:17:00 PM (view original):
1. I don't put enough minutes into SH.  I probably lose a kid to grades once every 4-5 seasons.   On at least two occasions it has cost me at least one win in the NT.
2. I don't write down the High Highs.   If I would just note stuff about players, I am sure I could maximize player development better.
3. I forgot to recruit scorers.   
4.   I fall in love with a guy because he is good at everything and I think to myself, "He'll play SF", then I end up with 4 of them.
These. All of them. +1.
2/19/2014 1:58 PM
Posted by kevodaphenom on 2/19/2014 1:56:00 PM (view original):
Build teams filled with athleticism and defense, but can't do much else...
And this one too.
2/19/2014 1:59 PM
12345 Next ▸
What are some of your HD bad habits Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.