What are some of your HD bad habits Topic

Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/19/2014 1:17:00 PM (view original):
1. I don't put enough minutes into SH.  I probably lose a kid to grades once every 4-5 seasons.   On at least two occasions it has cost me at least one win in the NT.
2. I don't write down the High Highs.   If I would just note stuff about players, I am sure I could maximize player development better.
3. I forgot to recruit scorers.   
4.   I fall in love with a guy because he is good at everything and I think to myself, "He'll play SF", then I end up with 4 of them.
re: #2, if you just never delete any emails from recruiting, then you can refer back to the SV messages in future seasons.  Took my laziness about cleaning out emails and turned it into something useful!
2/19/2014 2:11 PM
1. Forgetting to schedule.  Great way to end up with several 300+ sims that can drop your NT seeding all by itself.
2. Not letting go of a battle that I know is likely a losing one..stubbornness takes over sometimes.
3. Signing too many JUCOs when I get lazy about recruiting for a few seasons.  JUCOs are a great way to supplement good FR recruits, but if you're not bringing in any talented FR for several seasons, it will catch up to you.
4. Same as #3, but replace JUCOs with players signed (mostly or completely) blind from Canada or Puerto Rico.  Sometimes those guys turn out great..usually not so much.
5. Forgetting to put a promised-start FR back in the lineup after I spot benched him, prompting an email crying about it.
2/19/2014 2:18 PM
1) Scheduling- I have home-and-homes with coaches throughout the worlds, but filling the rest of spots ends up with me sending out requests on the last day and filling the rest with whatever good SIMS are available at 11 PM EST.

2) There's been times I've completely ignored PER by accident. Thought I got a good crop of players coming in, went to set my player distro and no one could shoot from 3.

3) This just happened to me... Switching from M2M to Press so I moved my minutes over and then allocated the practice minutes for my players. Then 3 games in I get a Live Webcams Now message telling me that I'm practicing M2M and playing Press. I never clicked "Save Team" on the practice plan. When I allocated player minutes and saved that, the minutes reverted back from Press to M2M.
2/19/2014 2:33 PM
Signing low WE guys at the same position multiple years in a row. Can't start them both to get their WE up. 

Accepting challenges from guys I've played in the past even when it might not be good for my team. My Dallas team (Rupp) lost ONE player from a Sweet Sixteen team and is not going to make the NT this season because of our ridiculous schedule. Finished the year 1-10 against the RPI top 20, 3-2 against 21-50, 6-3 against 51-100. 

Putting off changing practice plans after getting the grades emails. 
2/19/2014 2:47 PM
I have several of the bad habits already mentioned here, so I'll just list two more:

(1) Spending too much money in the first two or three recruiting cycles instead of being patient to watch how things develop (although I am improving in this area, finally, after getting burned SO MANY times).

(2) Getting enamored with recruiting a big man because of his ATH, DEF, and LP, then realizing after signings that the highest REB rating on my team is 66.
2/19/2014 2:56 PM
(2) Getting enamored with recruiting a big man because of his ATH, DEF, and LP, then realizing after signings that the highest REB rating on my team is 66.
Great example.  It's very very easy to have a "blind spot" like that during recruiting and not see it until it's too late to do anything about it.
2/19/2014 3:14 PM
Posted by spasticity on 2/19/2014 3:14:00 PM (view original):
Great example.  It's very very easy to have a "blind spot" like that during recruiting and not see it until it's too late to do anything about it.
My St. Mary's team in D2 Iba is suffering from this affliction right now.  I totally forgot to recruit enough rebounding.  It will kill me when the brutal Heartland Conference schedule rolls around, and makes me a longshot in the NT with an otherwise very good team.
2/19/2014 4:59 PM
Screaming at a make believe player that I spend several thousand in make believe recruiting dollars to only receive a make believe response that he does not even know who I am.
2/19/2014 5:34 PM
I have crappy recruiting patience, but I'm working on that. I often go all out on the first day. 

Also, I sometimes forget to recruit anyone at all who can score points - but at least I'll have a lot of good athletes that can defend so we can lose a lot of games 55 to 50. 
2/19/2014 5:35 PM
1) During recruiting, falling in love with guys with high potentials without giving enough consideration to whether they can actually fulfill those potentials.

2) Forgetting to update depth charts and distro once new recruits arrive on campus.  When I only have two exhibition games, I hate when one is wasted because none of my new guys play in the game and the shot selection is based on something I used for last season's team.

I definitely agree with all of the posts about recruiting a class that you like and then realizing at the end that you forgot to address a team weakness in some key attribute.  
2/19/2014 8:29 PM
Recruiting while drinking
2/19/2014 8:58 PM
Posted by bro_lunardi on 2/19/2014 8:58:00 PM (view original):
Recruiting while drinking
I woke up one morning around Christmas time with like 14 recruits considering me. I think I spent my entire budget on a beer induced spending spree.
2/19/2014 9:05 PM
game planning while drinking can also be pretty brutal... when you want to undo all the damage and have no copy of previous settings :O
2/19/2014 9:13 PM
+1 to the last three post. 
2/19/2014 9:16 PM
To summarize, don't drink and HD. It's bad.
2/19/2014 9:49 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
What are some of your HD bad habits Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.